Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

If a video card says it supports at PCI- Express 2.0 (x16) slot..

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DARKIDO07

Will it work just as fine on a PCI-Express 1.0 (x16) slot???

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

it 'will ' work in terms of go in and run the card, but it will slow down clock speeds greatly.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DeadlyPain
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Black_Raven

Yea it will work fine. PCI-E 2.0 has a higher bandwidth but its not like the limit of PCI-E X16 has being reached so as far a i know there isn't any decrease in performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah I was running my 8800gt on pci express 1.0 and switched to 2.0 and it`s nothing big, to me anyways.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DARKIDO07

Ok thanks, now I'm going to go with the 9600 GT for $99 instead of the 8800 GT for $130, trying to save some money. :P

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By pause422

I've heard the complete opposite from many people Black Raven... you're correct in everything else, but I've heard it decreases the clock speeds of the card greatly because of it... still I have no idea which one is true, or maybe it happens with some people and doesn't others..not really sure.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Black_Raven
    pause422 said:
    "I've heard the complete opposite from many people Black Raven... you're correct in everything else, but I've heard it decreases the clock speeds of the card greatly because of it... still I have no idea which one is true, or maybe it happens with some people and doesn't others..not really sure."
    Well i can say for sure that the clock speed of the actual card will not be effected. Iv herd that atm no game takes full advantage of PCI-E X16 so the performance increase is pretty much non existent between the two buses. check out this forum discussion on the subject.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By VACkillers

interesting.... i'd still go with a PCIe 2.0 if you have a 2.0 PCIe card... just incase for compatability issues myself.... shouldn't mix/match parts as serious as mobo slots and gfx cards but they are backwards compatability.... will work in both slots

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Black_Raven
    VACkillers said:
    "interesting.... i'd still go with a PCIe 2.0 if you have a 2.0 PCIe card... just incase for compatability issues myself.... shouldn't mix/match parts as serious as mobo slots and gfx cards but they are backwards compatability.... will work in both slots"
    Yea, i have an overclocked 8800GT connected through a PCI-E X16 slot and it runs absolutely fine without any decrease in performance. I agree that if getting a new mobo you should probably get a pcie 2.0 capable one because it probably wont be too long before graphics cards start taking advantage of pcie 2.0.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.