Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I'm a console guy interested in PC gaming...

PepeSilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By PepeSilvia

...but I own a Mac. And I don't want to get rid of it. The problem with Macs though, is that they aren't really made for games. Even though Steam is now out on the Mac it doesn't feel right and the games still look worse than when I'm playing in Boot Camp. You just can't take it seriously in my opinion. But I love my Mac. And aside from gaming I love everything about it. 

For the past few years I've been getting my kicks out of gaming on the consoles. This will always be my primary focus but I want to add something under my TV: A real PC. The idea is to build a PC (I've been looking at the guide on the forums, probably around $800 mid-end type of PC) that is quick to boot and will only be used to game on my TV. Perhaps some media center stuff but I use Rivet for that together with my 360. I don't want any wires from my keyboard or mouse so I will probably use a bluetooth kb/mouse combo. I know the pro's will call me a heretic for using wireless but that's really the only way to go. (but they were probably shouting in anger when they read I use a mac) 

I'm sure I'm not the first one with this idea, but I couldn't find any other topics about it. But now I'm just wondering: Is there anyone on this board that plays with a PC hooked up to his/her television and likes it? I would mostly be playing RTS games, MMO's like WoW and SWTOR when it's out so no intense FPS games or anything, I actually prefer a console for that. Are there things I need? Special software, cables (aside from the obvious like HDMI and power cables...) Do you like playing on a television or should I not even bother? I'd love to see some pics of how you guys set something like that up if you have any :) Thanks in advance! Oh, and I'm new. Sorry if this is against the rules or anything.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pweidman

Keyboard and mouse needs to be in front of a big fat monitor imo.  Personally, I wouldn't want to hassle w/it.  A gamepad is soo much more convenient and comfortable(I play on console's mostly too.) But hell, give thata whirl, and come back and report how it worked out.  Sounds kinda weird but some users here may be able to give some first hand advice.  And welcome new duder!
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I use my hdtv as my pc display. I use a dvi to hdmi cable (older videocard without hdmi out) Some hdtvs will ghost, so you have read the reviews dispite the milliseconds, others will not for your games. Some hdtvs has a smaller pixel pitch which will make better monitor displays because I seen some really large pixels on LG hdtvs. If you want to see pictures of how I set up my hdtv to my pc, just visit my blog (not trying to advertise it, don't visit it if your not the op, for all I care) Don't update it by posting in it because i'm too tired to type in it right now. However it should answer your questions at least for the hdtv as a pc display and how to connect stuff and set it up on a table. I say it's nice, however way more expensive than most monitors. I find after three feet away I can't even see any of the pixels and the display is very big. You sort of don't want to go back to small 23" 1080p small displays anymore. The display has to be 1080p only, or it won't work well.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By borodin

I don't personally do it by I know that a lot of people have started doing it (and by "it" i mean TV as a monitor, not the sofa-based computing you freak!) because of the price drop in good sized flat panel TVs. As for anything special you'd need the only thing is to make sure you can connect the TV to your Graphics card but as you mention HDMI is getting everywhere these days so I'm sure there's a healthy range of cards with HDMI outs on them - I guess it's worth noting that if you can't find a card you like that does have HDMI, you're going to have to deal with the audio as well. Also it might be worth asking the people over on www.tested.com on anything specific!

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By shiftymagician

Well to play on a television, you would need a way to get your mac to output it's image via some device, and then it is just as simple as using a VGA or DVI cable (or regular tv cable depending on the device that you use) to your television.  From there, just get a wireless keyboard and mouse for convenience while playing on the television.

To be honest, I find setting this up easier with a regular PC rather than a Mac, as I would simply connect the computer directly to the TV via a VGA or DVI cable.  If I have the right card, then yes I could also output via HDMI or, more commonly, component cables.  I don't have pictures for it, but I helped a friend set this up, and it was no hassle at all.  It all depends on how impatient you are for things for the most part.  If you are patient, this is a pretty neat way to go for PC games if you have the resources available to you.  Otherwise, stick with the usual monitor setup, and get a nice chair.

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hakooon

Welcome to Giant Bomb! I'm fairly new myself, but I love it here! :)
    It really depends on what TV you have. If it's 1080p with a decent refresh rate, I'd say go for it! I played a lot of World of Warcraft, Spore, Age of Empires 3, and a whole lot of other "slow-paced" games on my 42 inch TV a while ago while my monitor was broken, and it was pretty chill to just lay on my bed with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Ofcourse it wouldn't work as well with fast paced games because of slight delay on some screens, but for your use a TV is absolutely a viable option! Most decent graphics cards have HDMI output, and some even with audio included in the HDMI port, so you won't need any special cables or software. Just plug in your HDMI cable and play! :)

When you build / buy your PC, just make sure that you get a decent CPU and a direct x 11 graphics card that supports HDMI (with audio if you want that). 

Hope that helps a little, and don't be afraid to ask for more advice or information! :)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @hakooon: I didn't get delays with my toshiba, however my samsung hdtv I refunded twice had ghosting and even though it was 6ms, it still had a bit of delay. So did my sony bravia 120hz, it delays when you use the motion flow stuff and has a slight input lag without, however the toshiba is fast. I'm only saying if you find the right hdtv, there isn't much of an input lag. I'm using clearframe, the 120hz interpolation with the toshiba and it doesn't have input lag either. I also researched which hdtvs had less input lag and found a few ppl didn't notice any input lag for this hdtv at all. I just thought you should know, it's sort of a gamble. Hdtvs aren't suppose to be used as pc monitors, however if you find a good one without problems, you sure get a great display.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

although don't forget there are FPS's that have only come out on PC that are worth a play; Cryostatis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, etc

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hakooon
    @HitmanAgent47: 
    Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Then i suggest just checking for any ghosting issues while using your console in any game involving lots of movement.
    PepeSilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PepeSilvia

Thanks for all the replies and warm welcome :) I feel home here already! I got some good tips out of your replies! For starters, my current TV is 720P and from what I read here that's really not an option? I'm not ready to buy a new TV yet so I guess this is where the story ends. About the lag: I did look for a new TV a while back and most LCD HDTV's have a 'game' or 'PC' option. They both do basicly the same thing; They shut off extra stuff like 100hz or picture improvement to lower the input lag and create a smoother image. Sadly, my current TV does not come with such an option :P  I know PC games are meant to be played behind a desk. ...But everytime I try to play behind my monitor I start looking at my extremely comfortable couch and go back to console gaming. I guess my foray into PC gaming has been delayed a little, but after I get a new TV I'm willing to try it again. (but I'm still interested in stories and pictures of other 'couch PC gamers' out there! Show me how you do it :D)

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gilsham

no, using a 720p tv will still work it will just be lower res than most lcd monitors you can get these days 

also rock on always sunny

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DG991

To get you pumped a lil for PC gaming, check out what this guy did with the PC exclusive Crysis.  
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NanosuitNinja#p/c/2A532024EDC8749F  
    He did a Crysis Ironman. Playing on harder then the hardest setting and trying not to die once. I tried to do something similar, but if I died I just kept going.  
     But yea.. Idk if it doesn't interest you thats cool. 

Also, yea PC gaming is sort of meant for being at a desk. Thats why I got an extremely comfortable leather executive chair. I game on a 24" monitor also, but imo gaming on a 19" monitor is fine also. You can get one at best buy for $99.

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hakooon

Yeah, it will work on a 720p monitor, but ofcourse the resolution won't be top notch. This is actually not that big of a problem if you're fine with console-ish graphics, as many console games use this resolution but still look good. My TV has no "game" or "pc" mode, and it still works fine. You should note that 24'' monitors are dirt cheap these days. I've got a great full HD 24'' BenQ monitor that cost me about 1500kr (norwegian kroner), which probably translates to something like $150 or less since the US is usually lots cheaper than Norway. :)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Honestly it looks like shit on 720p, I tried it, you can't even read the text on your desktop, even if you use 1080i, or X1080, it's going to be blurry. You think it's good enough, however it's always going to look aweful. It's too bad you don't have a 1080p hdtv.

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hakooon

Well, WIndows 7 has a lot of options to improve text readability on TVs like Dpi, sharpness etc.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ATrevelan
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Honestly it looks like shit on 720p, I tried it, you can't even read the text on your desktop, even if you use 1080i, or X1080, it's going to be blurry. You think it's good enough, however it's always going to look aweful. It's too bad you don't have a 1080p hdtv.

"
    Actually, text should be easier to read at lower resolutions. 

At the same time, if you're willing to throw down a Franklin, you can get a decent monitor capable of more than 720p.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @ATrevelan said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

"
    Actually, text should be easier to read at lower resolutions.   "

you shouldn't speculate unless you tried it, it's all warped looking i've tried it with a dvi to hdmi cable. However your right, I think it's better the op to actually buy a 1080p or higher monitor instead over a 720p hdtv. 
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hakooon
    @HitmanAgent47: 
    I agree with that. To sum it up I'd say that if you really want to play PC games on a 720p screen it's possible with a few tweaks, but the best option is to just buy a cheap full hd monitor. :)
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By scarace360

HI im a mac.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @ATrevelan said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

"
    Actually, text should be easier to read at lower resolutions.   "
    you shouldn't speculate unless you tried it, it's all warped looking i've tried it with a dvi to hdmi cable. However your right, I think it's better the op to actually buy a 1080p or higher monitor instead over a 720p hdtv.  "
    Most "720p" TVs are actually ~1360x768.  I'm actually typing this on a computer hooked up to my TV over an hdmi cable...the resolution is 1360x768 and the text is not messed up/blurry.  You just have to set the resolution to the actual resolution of the TV.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @teh_pwnzorer: yeah I know, that was the option for me too, it's not that clear though to me, everything looks like overly big. Maybe when it was messed up I was using the 1080i option. Still on my 1080p hdtv, everything is sharp and perfect it the native resolution like you would see on a monitor. Not a pixel out of place and honestly playing pc games looks totally normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.