Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Improving my laptop to run Crysis

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Rxanadu

As the title states, I'm trying to get my comp to run Crysis; I'm not planning to play it, though.  I want to know what I need in order to get Crysis running because if I can get that running on my system I'll be able to basically run anything on my computer.  I'm trying to run a program called FPS Creator X10, which requires a bunch of processing power and at least a GeForce 8800 graphics card for it to run.  I'm also just want to get my computer to run faster; it's been lagging for some time now; it even happens when I have more than one tab in use on Firefox.  Here's some information I was able to get from a recent DxDiag call-up:

System Information:

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: Compaq Presario CQ50 Notebook PC
    BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1     
    Processor: AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70 (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 2814MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display Devices:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8200M G
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

I need information on where I can get the stuff I need to run the game and where to get it cheap for under $350 or so.  Any information would be much appreciated.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Th3_James

Sorry man..................it ain't gonna happen

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Only very specific laptops can be upgraded, and that is not one of them, sorry. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You can do it but its really not worth it, especially if your only doing it for Crysis.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Like the poster above said-

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By meteora

Running Crysis is not the greatest benchmark to run -absolutely- any programs. Above and beyond video games is video editing; and that takes more RAM than games itself.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By ATrevelan

Also, games like Crysis and Metro 2033 ain't exactly well-optimized. Even when you have a rig that can run them, and run them well, they're not going to be playable on the highest settings. You can forget ramping up the detail on a laptop all together. 

Also, as much as I like Crysis, there are countless FPS titles that are superior in every way.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rxanadu

So, what everyone is telling me is that I can't upgrade this laptop of mine regardless of what I want to do with it.  Also, Crysis shouldn't be my benchmark for my ability to run anything I want on a computer.  What should be my benchmark for running anything on a computer, and is it possible to make a great laptop rig under $500?  

P.S.  
    @ OllyOxenFree: could you get me that gif, please?  It so... mesmerizing....

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ATrevelan
    @Rxanadu: No one thing will give you an overall impression of what your computer is capable of. Some games rely really heavily on the graphics card (Crysis), others use the CPU more intensively (GTA4), and some look great without requiring a super-powered rig (just about anything running on Unreal 3.) Video editing software, sound recording programs, and the like will run differently from games. 

And seeing how it's very difficult to make a "great" desktop for under 500 bucks--depending on what you're looking for--it's exponentially harder to do the same with laptops, which tend to be pricier and sacrifice pure power for portability. You simply won't be able to make something with good, new parts in that price range. A grand? With some tinkering you can probably get something nice going, but nothing close to a desktop for the same price.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By sagesebas
    @Rxanadu: Crysis on a laptop MUAH HAHAHA I think If you can run things like Bioshock and maybe Mass Effect 2 well, you are set in terms of pc gaming
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @sagesebas:  Are you talking about laptops in general?
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Jadeskye
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By sagesebas
    @jadeskye: I was more or less joking around
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

Couple of things. One, you probably won't get your laptop to run it because Crysis, like many other games aren't meant to be played on a laptop. And two, no, even if you had a good enough laptop (or PC) to run Crysis, that doesn't mean you can play practically any game you wanted the way you wanted. I can play Crysis on my PC, in yet, I have a hard time running Call of Duty 4 on its highest settings. It depends on AMD or Nvidia. I don't think you can do both either.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jadeskye
    @sagesebas said:
    " @jadeskye: I was more or less joking around "
    oh i c wut u did thar.
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rxanadu
    @ATrevelan:  Thanks for the info.  Now I have another question: my brother has a laptop of his own, and he wants to upgrade it as well but for video editing.  His computer is a Sony Vaio NR series.  Will he be able to upgrade that comp with a new graphics card?  

Also, is there a reason why I can't upgrade my laptop?  Are there a certain amount of laptops I can upgrade, or what?
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ATrevelan
    @Rxanadu: Generally speaking, unless you buy all the parts separately and physically build your laptop, it's unupgradeable. Even in the situations where certain parts are changeable with a pre-built laptop, there are many, many limitations including physical space within the computer, the power supply that's built into the laptop, etc. I've got a pre-built desktop at the moment, and even then there is very little I can do in terms of upgrading it--many of the new graphics cards simply won't fit inside my case, I'd have to buy a new power supply, etc, etc. It can get to be much more expensive than simply buying one new part and popping it in. Also, if you don't do it right you can bork your whole computer--which is frankly why I stick to pre-built. I have no actual ability to install new parts let alone build a PC from scratch. 

So rest assured, there is no quota for how many laptops you can or cannot upgrade, it's just generally the case that you cannot. In the case of the Sony Vaio NR, which I believe has an Intel-made integrated graphics card, there is pretty much zero chance that he can upgrade it. Even if he could, that's a pretty small laptop, and without knowing how big everything else inside of it is it's hard to say that a new card would even fit. These things have specifically chosen parts so that they fit inside the shell.
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rxanadu
    @ATrevelan: Just to be clear: when you say "pre-built" you mean something like what is sold in the Wal-Marts and Best Buys out there, right?
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ATrevelan
    @Rxanadu: Indeed, that's precisely what I mean.
    Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chandu83

I did not know it was possible to build your own laptop...

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

The thing is most laptops are built with integrated everything. In other words your GPU and CPU are pretty much part of the motherboard and there really is now way to upgrade that stuff outside of purchasing a brand new laptop. On top of that, when it comes to support in games and such, usually mobile versions of GPUs will not be supported for certain games. This is pretty much the main reason I switched to a desktop. All the parts can be replaced, and I can play every game I throw at it.

I say save up and get a decent mid range desktop for like 500-600 bucks. That's of course if you really want to get into PC gaming. Otherwise I'm sure you can play some Peggle on your laptop just fine!

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Meowshi
    @sagesebas said:
    " @Rxanadu: Crysis on a laptop MUAH HAHAHA I think If you can run things like Bioshock and maybe Mass Effect 2 well, you are set in terms of pc gaming "
    There are plenty of laptops that can run Crysis well.  Get with the times.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By c1337us
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    " Like the poster above said-
    "
    That thing freaks me the fuck out.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By korwin

Laptop's a generally fixed platforms from a hardware perspective, the most you can hope for is a spare dimm slot to increase your memory.  That machine will never run Crysis.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Is it just me or will that GPU setup not actuall support DX11?

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Goldanas

Your laptop's done, friend, but you could try to build a new PC: 

This altogether is about $470 USD. Amazon doesn't have any tax and shipping should be free, so there's your flat rate. This isn't the best stuff in the world, but it's about the minimum you'll want to have in order to run Crysis at max settings well. You'll also be alright with intermediate to advanced computing and stuff. You'll need a mouse and a keyboard as well as speakers and a monitor if you don't have any of that stuff. Also, get Windows 7 32-bit from somewhere. You can usually find deals all over the place making it stupid cheap. I got mine for 30 bucks because I was a college student. 

Good luck.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By korwin

Why would you build a PC with only 2gb of ram?  That's not exactly ideal by any means.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Goldanas
    @Korwin: For his budget, and what he wants to do, it's perfectly acceptable. 32-bit systems only make use of between 3 GB and 4 GB or RAM at a time as it is. 

On top of all that, it's only one stick, so he can get another, should he choose to do so.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By korwin
    @Goldanas:   2 GB really isn't good enough for much of anything these days (gaming wise), regardless of OS type.  Additionally only installing one stick instead of 2 kills performance and you cut your memory bandwidth in half due to the loss of dual channel.  There's also no good reason not to purchase a 64-bit Windows 7 client, it's the same price and handles any 32-bit application just fine.  Considering the miniscule price difference between a 2 GB and a 4 GB kit it would be silly to suggest the former over the latter, especially if it's going to be his main machine for a few years to come.

Not that the guy has shown any intention of purchasing a new machine anyway.
    Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Goldanas
    @Korwin: I suppose you're right. If the cost is about the same then there's no reason not to go for it. 

I haven't done any significant gaming over on my 64-bit build as I distinctly recall the days of Windows XP 64-bit being significantly hampered by running 32-bit games. 

If 7 has changed it, I'll check it out.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By korwin
    @Goldanas: 
     Win XP 64-bit was pure anus, it was basically a bad chop and port job from Windows Server 2003.  The Vista/W7 framework was built from the ground up with 64-bit in mind so it’s just dandy.  
    Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Goldanas
    @Korwin: Right on; thanks for letting me know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.