Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Limiting CPU usage on old games, what about GPU?

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By trylks

OK, so looks like I can move thousands of miles or kilometres away but I'm always at warm places (from Madrid (Spain) to Los Angeles (CA-USA) for three months)

I've found it is possible to limit the CPU that a game is allowed to use, that is a good way to reduce the heat produced by old games, since they don't really need much CPU but they tend to use it at 100% regardless (which feels very wrong, but that's the standard).

I can happily check the CPU usage with the tasks manager and see how this is reduced from 100%.

Now I was wondering what could happen with the GPU, if it is used to 100% regardless too (since I can't check that) and how could I reduce that usage if so.

I will probably install half-life (1) if I can get it to work and not to burn my computer.

Thank you.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

Downclocking it should do the trick.
    Depending on what GPU you have, you may even be able to lower the voltages through software, as well.

Check out RivaTuner and/or ATItool (works with non-ATI cards, too, don't let the name fool you).

I'm curious, though, is this a laptop we're talking about or a desktop?

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Gav47

Wouldn't using V-sync solve this problem?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SlasherMan
    No, VSync just locks the framerate to the monitor's refresh rates to prevent tearing. It doesn't really lower GPU loads or temps.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

You should be able to underclock your GPU, you'll just need to find the proper utility based on your video card.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gav47
    @SlasherMan: I didn't know that, I thought it actually made the system draw fewer frames.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Gav47:  VSync will often make the system draw fewer frames, but that's not really the intended effect. VSync's main purpose is just to prevent screen tearing.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trylks
    @SlasherMan: It's a laptop, heat is much more of an issue in laptops. Thank you, I'll try those.

BTW, just to complete the thread slightly more, the best program to limit CPU usage I found so far is BES.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You know if cpu usage is that high, maybe your cpu isn't that good. I would of suggested a better heatsink, however your using a laptop.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @SlasherMan said:
    " Downclocking it should do the trick. Depending on what GPU you have, you may even be able to lower the voltages through software, as well.   Check out RivaTuner and/or ATItool (works with non-ATI cards, too, don't let the name fool you).  I'm curious, though, is this a laptop we're talking about or a desktop? "
    If I'm remembering right, RivaTuner isn't supported anymore. I think the dev moved on to another software project. So that one probably wouldn't be the best to use.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Marz
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @SlasherMan said:
    " Downclocking it should do the trick. Depending on what GPU you have, you may even be able to lower the voltages through software, as well.   Check out RivaTuner and/or ATItool (works with non-ATI cards, too, don't let the name fool you).  I'm curious, though, is this a laptop we're talking about or a desktop? "
    If I'm remembering right, RivaTuner isn't supported anymore. I think the dev moved on to another software project. So that one probably wouldn't be the best to use. "

Yeah the Rivatuner guy Unwinder now makes EVGA precision tool, i think he also does MSI Afterburner.  It a pretty good tool for overclocking and underclocking etc etc.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf

Does running old games really cause your laptop to overheat? Seems odd to me.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trylks
    @HitmanAgent47:@SpikeSpiegel: any game on any CPU will use the 100% of it, no matter how old is the game and how new the cpu, it's just the way games are made, you can check it. There are some exceptions, starcraft (1) limited cpu usage with a patch time ago.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Trylks: Okay i'll test it out. I know certain unreal engine 3 games are like 100% cpu usage, I didn't know old games used that much. I'm only using a dual core, not sure if it's the same on more cores.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Trylks: I just tried one game, i'll edit in my findings, however just cause 2 runs on 58% on my cpu averagely. You can't go around creating misconceptions that your meager laptop equals everyone else's pc gaming experience. I always find ppl will say, well I run it like this, so everyone else must have the same problems. Half life 2 is around 75% average, so the problem is on your end.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trylks

I guess just cause is using only one core. Half life 2 may have fixed that, as I said there are some exceptions. The norm with old games is that they will use all the CPU they have available.  It took starcraft 8 or 9 years to get that patch, I don't know if a similar patch for half-life does exist the time span between, hal-life 1 and 2 is much smaller than starcraft 1 and 2, and starcraft 1 got that patch quite recently, also.

Every old game would be like this, it would use 100% of the cpu, and that wouldn't be fixed because newer games would be released before, the minimum system requirements would go up and in the end, usually there wasn't a lot of spare resources on the cpu when considering latest games with latest hardware. However, when playing old games with new hardware there is a lot of power that doesn't need to be used, since games industry is becoming more mature and there is a wider time span in which games were released with different system requirements

Try the oldest you may have, the logical assumption is that they should use less than half-life 2, since they are older, but the case is that they will use 100% or 50% if they have one single thread. You should try really old games like theme hospital or half-life 1 before asserting the problem is on my end, even more recent games will probably have that problem, as age of empires 2, other game I may play.

Those are games I own and I didn't finish, although I was really close to finishing theme hospital. A few years ago I would play homeworld and it would use 100% of my CPU, it was on a P4@2.5GHz, while the recommended requirements were something like 350MHz, if I am not mistaken, that was during the winter, in summer I tried to play black&white, but I didn't know about this software and had to quit. Now I have a centrino duo and I could try it, again it would use 100% or 50%*, actually I will play homeworld 2 if I can find it.

*notice that 50% is still too much, for so old games, it would be really bad if a core would take all the load, as that core would be overheated while the other would do nothing, but I think that is not the case, every I/O interruption may cause the process to resume on a different core.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Claude
    @Trylks said:
      I will probably install half-life (1) if I can get it to work and not to burn my computer.  Thank you. "
    You have more problems than I can explain.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By trylks
    @Claude said:

" You have more problems than I can explain. "

lol, wut? I will limit the CPU usage with BES and use the programs that SlasherMan recommended me to reduce GPU heat. (Thank you again, BTW).

I cannot edit the thread title to add "[solved]", otherwise I would.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Claude
    @Trylks said:
    " @Claude said:

" You have more problems than I can explain. "

lol, wut? I will limit the CPU usage with BES and use the programs that SlasherMan recommended me to reduce GPU heat. (Thank you again, BTW). I cannot edit the thread title to add "[solved]", otherwise I would. "

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.