Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking for a Trouble-Free Router Compatible With Xbox 360

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

If you remember my two separate threads from a few months ago, then you'll be on par with what I'm saying. At first I bought a router and had problems, so I gave up. The second thread posed the question, "Can I use a switch?" Unanimous answer: unsure, but either way it just complicates things rather than simplifying them. This leaves me to now decide what router I should get.

I'll be using the router for my PC, my Xbox 360, possibly my PS3 and/or a laptop that I may get for college. What I am looking for in a router is one that is can run wireless with a few extra ethernet ports. I want to wire up everything, but get a wireless router just in case I receive a laptop in the near future.

To meet my taste, it should not be overbearing. I hate messing around with forwarding ports and all that jazz. I would like it to allow most of my programs trouble-free, and easily integrate my Xbox 360 into the network.

I realize what I want is either specific, or probably not in existence as far as trouble-free goes, but I'll look into any recommendations that you have. I'll probably cross-reference with the network equipment website that Xbox has up.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By roushimsx

Buy a Linksys WRT54GL for $58 w/ free shipping. When you get it, either update it to the latest firmware or, optimally, flash it with Tomato. Say goodbye to your problems.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

What will Tomato do? Just need a bit more information on what it is, since I checked out the website and am still somewhat clueless. Also, will it work if I have a WRT54G2? I never connected it because it gave me a lot of problems.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By darkgoth678

I recommened using a Netgear Router, all of them will most likely work but Specifically I have the Wireless G 54Mbs one. I don't have an xbox but I have used it in several Xbox LAN parties I have attented at it worked perfectly as the centerpiece where everything hoocked up to. Everyone connected wirelessly and wired without a problem, even got on xbox LIVE when i connected an internet cable. If you are crazy about security then these will also do you good since it is easy to setup and passward and if that's not enough for you, you can even set up an access list so only the devices with that MAC adress can get on the router, even if they know the password. 

now, it depends on how big ur house is, if you have a pretty big house you might want to get the Super G model ($50)
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

We run our PCs and Xbox 360s all through switches with each other, and we have absolutely no issues with it whatsoever, so I don't know what to tell ya, man.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Look, I don't know jack about networking and I'm not the admin around here, but I know it's got a lot of blue lights, if that helps.

Sanch0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanch0
    http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XBoxLiveTheGuide2.php?department=Equipment

After a lot of searching on the subject myself i came across this link... a list of compatible routers (some that aren't on the xbox official list but guaranteed to work).

You didn't mention what type of connection you had so when you get to that page you will have to select either ADSL / DSL cable category.. hope it helps ;)
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By dsplayer1010

I use the Wi-Fi that is built onto the Verizon Fios router. Works fine

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By roushimsx
    Vinchenzo said:
    "What will Tomato do? Just need a bit more information on what it is, since I checked out the website and am still somewhat clueless. Also, will it work if I have a WRT54G2? I never connected it because it gave me a lot of problems."
    Firmwares like Tomato and DD-WRT run a hell of a lot more stable than the stock Linksys firmware. I not-so-fondly recall having to reboot my old router (WRT54Gv1) every day or two until I upgraded to HyperWRT back in '05 and ever since then, I just haven't looked back. There's some pretty high quality routers available from Buffalo (which are wonderful little pieces of hardware), but since they can't distribute them in the US right now the products are getting marked up well beyond SRP (100+ for a $50 router? Uhhh....).

The WRT54G2 only has 2mb of flash ram, so it's incapable of running Tomato but it can run the DD-WRT micro kernal. I believe the files that you'll need are located here and two tutorials are here (no pictures) and here (pictures!). Never hurts to print out a copy of the readme just in case (which is basically just the forum post) and the tftp.exe program that they mention is available in the same download folder.

It might seem daunting, but give it a shot. If you've already got the router and it's already not doing what you need it to do, what's the worst that could happen? :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.