Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking for GPU info

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I'm not really looking for a recoomendation on which card to buy, but rather if there are new cards likely to come out soon.

For further information, I'm looking to buy a MSI GTX 950 Gaming. I know it's not the best card out there, but for a card under $200 and the resolution I play on it seems to be more than enough. Especially when compared to my current 6870.

So does anyone know if it's worth getting it now or is it likely that we'll see some price drops in the near future, making, perhaps, a GTX 960 or R9 380 the choice to wait for?

BlueStriped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BlueStriped

What is your current system build at and also your max budget for a new gpu?

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MVHVTMV

I'm curious to know what resolution you do play at, if you're at 1080p then a 960 or a r9 380 would probably be significantly better value for money if you can justify saving up a little more, but there aren't any predictable price-drops coming up unless someone has one on a Christmas sale.

Nvidia's new Pascal architecture is set to possibly be a massive leap forward in power because it's the first proper GPU die shrink in years, but it's unlikely their flagship card would hit the market before Q2 2016, and the 50/60 equivalents of the Pascals might not be out until Q3. I don't know much about AMD's future plans though, so it's possible they could have some mid-range versions of their Fiji architecture in the pipeline for early next year.

EDIT: Keep in mind if you do go for the r9 380 (A really good card for the price, you can get the 2G model for ~$160US) it guzzles power, at something like 190W compared to the GTX 950's 90W TPD, so make sure your PSU can handle it. Otherwise the 380 might be poor value if you have to upgrade your PSU too.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember that AMD GPU's tend to have performance issue and push out drivers at a slower rate .... Just read some steam reviews of Just Cause 3.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The 2016 road map for NVidia shows pretty huge improvements. I haven't watched AMD much, but due to DirectX 12 support being hacked in (and lacking) on NVidia cards I've been leaning more towards AMD. If you're looking for inexpensive right now, I'd look at higher (above that 950) end AMD cards. While drivers might be a little slow and sometimes buggy, they are fuller featured than NVidia at the moment. None of this matters if you're looking to wait though.

And take OhNoOh's word on release time frames and power consumption.

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking of upgrading also and after doing some reqding i decided to wait.

With VR hitting the market next year and dx12 games in development now it might be worth waiting six months. That's what I'm doing. Then again a sub 200 card now could get you through the next six months and you could upgrade again if your financial situation allows for that.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now I just want a sub 200 upgrade to hold me over for maybe a year. I do all my gaming on my TV which has a native resolution of 1360x780. On that resolution the 950 looks to be a good deal compared to the 960.

As for my overal specs, I don't remember the mb off hand but it's an i5 2300 with 16gb ddr3 and a radeon hd 6870.

But honestly, I already ordered the card just now. If it turns out to be a disappointment I'll send it back.

As for the amd vs nvidia debate, I didn't really find anything in the same price range with the same or better performance. The r9 380 is great but it's also more expensive, more power hungry and looks to be noisier in general (PC is in the living room so quiet is good).

But hey, if someone can convince me that there is really something better at the same price range as a gtx 950 then I might reconsider my choice.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as your power supply can handle it, you can get a 2 GB R9 380 for under $200 that would definitely outperform a GTX 950 for like $20-30 more.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teaoverlord: You're absolutely right. Guess I hadn't looked reseached this good enough after all.

But now I'm doubting between an 380 with 2GB or 4GB :D

Keep in mind, my tv's native resolution is 1360x768 so I wonder if I will really benefit from the 2 extra GB of VRAM. And as I said, I'm just looking for something that will hold me over for another year or so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.