Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking through a Pre-made PC is like Dumpster Diving

FluxCapacitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FluxCapacitor

There's a mysterious card in my computer, and I need to know whether it's critical to the system or not. So I turn to the PC literate to help figure out if I need to keep this. I'm building a custom PC and the number of PCI slots affects motherboard cost.

The card is labelled as a FastTrak TX4200. Doing a little googling comes up with this page:
    http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?segment=RAID%20HBAs&product_id=127

"Cost-effective Enhanced SATA RAID 0/1/10 PCI Adapter
    The Promise FastTrak TX4200 4-port SATA RAID PCI adapter offers a low-cost solution for implementing a RAID 0, RAID 1 or RAID 10 storage system with up to four high performance Serial ATA disk drives. Promise Technology is the leading provider of Serial ATA interface solutions, and with the FastTrak TX4200, users can benefit from Promise's experience in maximizing Serial ATA storage system performance."

I only have one hard drive that I use (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-Refurbished-ST3400832AS-7200RPM/dp/B000P4XEC2) so I don't know why this is in there.  Could anyone help me understand if I need to move this to my new PC, or if I can save cost by getting one less PCI slot? Thanks!

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

If your using only one HDD, then no, you don't need it. I'm curious to why anyone would need it actually, most modern motherboards are capable of several disk RAID set-ups themselves. 

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pazy

If your hard drive isnt hooked up to it then take it out and put it aside (you could also just dispose of it if you want but you did pay for it). If your hard disk isnt detected then put it back in but chances are its just there because its aimed at people who want to do hardware RAID.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lunarbunny
    @Pazy said:
    " If your hard drive isnt hooked up to it then take it out and put it aside (you could also just dispose of it if you want but you did pay for it). If your hard disk isnt detected then put it back in but chances are its just there because its aimed at people who want to do hardware RAID. "
    It's probably sofware RAID anyway, it's a cheap-ass controller.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pazy
    @Lunarbunny said:
    " @Pazy said:
    " If your hard drive isnt hooked up to it then take it out and put it aside (you could also just dispose of it if you want but you did pay for it). If your hard disk isnt detected then put it back in but chances are its just there because its aimed at people who want to do hardware RAID. "
    It's probably sofware RAID anyway, it's a cheap-ass controller.
    "
    Probably but im too lazy to research it at the momemt lol I still stick by yank it out and see what happens :)
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

it sounds like it's useless. modern motherboards have slots that could use SATA cables from the motherboard. so take it out and see what happens.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By fallen_elite

Since you don't even know what RAID is, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it won't matter if you got rid of it. If you have a hdd(s) connected to it then you probably shouldn't mess with it unless you know where to plug in an IDE or SATA cable into your motherboard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.