Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My Steam isn't working at Uni cause of their proxy any advice?

blaze503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By blaze503

I am at the University of Nottingham, just arrived and am living on campus. Now their internet is straight up shit and the proxy is stopping steam from working, i tried to reinstall steam and now it just says that i need to connect to the internet before i can lauch steam. Which of course i am on Steam. So does anyone know how i can do some magic to the proxy and stuff to get Steam working. I get that you won't have the finer details on what the problem exactly is but i really need steam it has all my games so any help would be fantastic. Please Help PC gamers of the Giantbomb Network!!!
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

There's nothing you can do.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Is that ResNet which is fucking everything up? I've got no advice but plenty of sympathy.

MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrMuise

Talk to the university's network guy

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By laticsfan

I've just started at UCLAN, and it seems that it's pretty standard for universities to block gaming ports, (no tmn or steam for me). And here at least, even if you ask the technicians they wont do anything about it. However I am doing Games Development, and we are encouraged to play games as much as we can, so I might talk to my lecturer and see if he can swindle something.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Eisen

There's not much you can do about a proxy, aside from trying a VPN connection if you know someone with a fast connection outside the Univ that would be willing to run a VPN server, which may be a bit too complicated to setup.   Best bet would be to talk to the college IT department to see if they would be willing modify the proxy setup to allow steam.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

Or you could pay for UMTS internet.

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By kuwabaratheman

Do you have the games on your computer? If so, can't you just launch them in offline mode? Or do you not have them currently installed?

I'm not enough of a tech wizard to know what type of workaround you would need to get Steam working on your school's internet.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Giantsquirrel

If you're on ResNet you're fucked. If not, call IT. Hopefully they'll be better than mine, I was laughed off the phone when I asked for help. Fuckers.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm sorry dude, but there's probably nothing you can do. You can try contacting someone in the IT department of your university, but chances are they aren't going to be willing to adjust any of their port blocking/capping/throttling.

blaze503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By blaze503

Thanks for the advice i will try and talk to the IT support people, but i suspect that will fail and then i will just head into town to pick up something i can just play without steam or internet.
    oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oDawg

Just ask the tech guys at your uni. They will be happy to open up the ports I bet.

Otherwise, you might consider getting wireless internet on some 3G network near the school. Wouldn't cost much since you'd just be running games through it.

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PISTOLcm

The DL/UL rate on the 3G cards suck.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By PureRok
    @KuwabaraTheMan said:
    " Do you have the games on your computer? If so, can't you just launch them in offline mode? Or do you not have them currently installed?  I'm not enough of a tech wizard to know what type of workaround you would need to get Steam working on your school's internet. "
    In order to go into offline mode you have to log in. Stupid, right?
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#15  Edited By Soap

It's pretty obvious what you have to do.... quit uni

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oDawg
    @PISTOLcm: 

3G is perfect for gaming. I've done it, and never had any latency issues (aroudn 150ms ping in game).
    Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dragonseer

Here's another thing you can do - Download the same games that you thought you had purchased through bittorrent, and then you can play them without having the hassle of maintaining a constant link to Valves' validation server. I don't know why people think they own games when they buy them from Steam - that's just an illusion.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Gunner
    @Dragonseer: The only problem with that is that most unis monitor that kind of stuff. If they notice a large amount of downloading coming from a certain area, they will disable your connection and check for any unlicensed software. 

A buddy of mine got busted that way.

EDIT: You should be able to just launch steam in offline mode and play single player games through that. But if your planning on buying any games or play them online your pretty much fucked.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Zabant

Wow that fucking sucks.

You're making me reconsider not going into higher education, even after how shitty this year has been in my job.

Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dragonseer
    @Gunner said:
    " @Dragonseer: The only problem with that is that most unis monitor that kind of stuff. If they notice a large amount of downloading coming from a certain area, they will disable your connection and check for any unlicensed software.   A buddy of mine got busted that way.     

Sure, I get that.  There are ways around this kind of thing though, if you are familiar with linux and virtual machines etc.  I am planning on setting up a resource that helps people with this kind of stuff
     EDIT: You should be able to just launch steam in offline mode and play single player games through that. But if your planning on buying any games or play them online your pretty much fucked. "
    My understanding is that you need to be online first for offline mode to work.  They only call it that so you feel better, but it's completely misleading.  Last time I checked you cannot power on your machine with the internet disconnected and run any Steam game.  If you could then I wouldn't hate the service so much.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Gunner
    @Dragonseer said:
     "My understanding is that you need to be online first for offline mode to work.  They only call it that so you feel better, but it's completely misleading.  Last time I checked you cannot power on your machine with the internet disconnected and run any Steam game.  If you could then I wouldn't hate the service so much. "
    Ive done is plenty of times, I just recently moved and had to do without internet for a week or so, the games still launch just like they normally would.
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PISTOLcm

Download a "No-Steam" patch for your steam games, but that still doesn't solve your multiplayer problem :(

Live at home? :D

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By august

The way offline mode works is that you have to run the game once online (and after every time it gets patched) to run it offline.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.