Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need Advice on my upcoming PC build

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

This is my first PC build, so I'm a bit of a noob so I'm not sure if there are any incorrect component matchings, my friend who does PC gaming is going to help me build it so he will also take a look at the list. I'm going to be building a PC within the next week or 2, I was looking up some components a few are still missing, such as the power supply,  but I was hoping if I could get opinions on what I've got listed so far.

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core
    MotherBoard - EVGA 3-Way SLI Intel X58 ATX
    GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    Ram - G. Skill 3GB (3 x 1GB)
    HDD - SAMSUNG 750GB 7200 RPM
    DVD Drive - SAMSUNG  22X +/- R
    Case - COOLER MASTER Black Steel ATX Full Tower
    Display - ASUS Black 24" 1920 X 1080

P.S. I won't be over clocking at first so I was going to hold off on getting a heatsink at first. Also I have my own mouse and keyboard already.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By oDawg

6 gigs of ram please.

I dont see power supply model! I recommend a Corsair 750w. Lots of other good ones around, but lots of crappy ones too.  Make sure the gtx260 has 216 shaders... I'd go gtx275 since yer blowing the bank anyways.

futureman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By futureman

Looks like a great build, grats! The only thing I'd recommend is that you might want to go with a couple of HDs, it's always good to keep your system drive seperate from everything else. Just to minimize the amount of loss you'll incur when something ungodly horrendous inevitably happens somewhere down the line.

Just something to consider.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Funzzo

Nice i7. You should go with at least a 750watt power supply. Nice display ASUS rocks.  What OS are u using?  Stay away from Seagate HDs!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oDawg said:
    " 6 gigs of ram please.I dont see power supply model! I recommend a Corsair 750w. Lots of other good ones around, but lots of crappy ones too.  Make sure the gtx260 has 216 shaders... I'd go gtx275 since yer blowing the bank anyways. "
    hmmm.....I'm going to be using XP SP3 32 bit.....would it even read the 6gb's? just wondering, from what I've heard it only trully utilizes 3 to 4 gb's of ram. But I could be wrong. Oh yea what are shaders? XD lol Oh yea.....majority of the money paying for this is Bday money XD XD XD!!!

@Funzzo said:
    " Nice i7. You should go with at least a 750watt power supply. Nice display ASUS rocks.  What OS are u using?  Stay away from Seagate HDs!!!!! "
    I'm gonna be using XP SP3 32 bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@futureman said:
    " Looks like a great build, grats! The only thing I'd recommend is that you might want to go with a couple of HDs, it's always good to keep your system drive seperate from everything else. Just to minimize the amount of loss you'll incur when something ungodly horrendous inevitably happens somewhere down the line.Just something to consider. "
    Yea I was considering that too, but since I have a 1TB external HDD, I was wondering if there was some way I could integrate it into my PC instead of just laying it on the ground or on top of the case, is there anyway I could take off the casing on the External HDD and install it inside my pc? If not I'd just connect it and lay it on the side if I had too.
    Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Funzzo

I have been told that there is not much of a difference between 32xp and 64xp, but if you have a 64bit cpu why not go with xp64? Then again 32xp might be more stable, but I'm not sure. something to think about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.