Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need Help with my crossfire setup.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By OldManLight

Hey all, have been running a single HD 7770 for months very stable but wanted to do a Crossfire setup so went out and bought the exact same card, removed the video card drivers, uninstalled the video card chosing to "delete the driver" from my device manager, powered off the pc, installed the new video card and the Crossfire bridge and brought it back up, installed drivers (Catalyst 13.4) , rebooted, appears to be working fine. when i try to launch a game, I.E. NFS Most Wanted, Borderlands 2, my screen either goes black, the pc freezes, or i occasionally get a BSOD referencing the graphics driver. really confused, downloading updated chipset drivers for my mobo as i type this and gonna flash my mobo BIOS to a current version in the morning. Any help anyone could suggest would be appreciated. Do i need to reinstall directx? please help.

• Motherboard: ASUS m5a97 r2.0,
    • GPU: 2 x Gigabyte HD7770's OC revision 1
    • 12 GB DDR3 1066 4GBx2 and 2GBx2
    • CPU: Phenom II x4 965 Black
    • 600 Coolermaster PSU
    • Sound: HT Omega Claro II
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OldManLight

What a pain in the butt this was. finally got it working with current Catalyst 13.4 drivers,

just though i'd update the thread for continuity sake in case someone should have the same issue in the future. The critical step is making sure you got ALL the old drivers off your pc.

Procedure for installing a crossfire video card setup on windows 7 64 bit SP1

1. uninstall current video card driver software...reboot
    2. run driver sweeper (found on guru3d.com), remove all video drivers found during analyze phase...power off (hint: a good way to tell that drivers still are present on your pc in some form is that when you get to your login screen/desktop, your pc will probably still be running your monitor's previous resolution. If you want to test to make sure you got them all, reboot and your screen should be displaying in 800x600 res)
    3. with pc powered off and unplugged (for safety sake) install new video card, connect card to power supply, install crossfire bridge, reconnect power to pc
    4. power up, log into windows, install drivers...reboot
    5. login to windows, wait for windows hardware wizard to finish, what it's doing...at this point if your pc hasn't crashed, you're doing good...reboot once more.
    6. login to windows, enjoy.

now running all my games at max settings AAx4 AFx16 and getting consistent +30-60fps out of all of them. no graphical artifacts or crashes as of yet (knock on wood.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.