Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need some hardware help, responses ASAP please!

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conker

Hey all, 
    Ok so currently, my only 'gaming' tool is my laptop, which has the following specs: 
    AMD Athlon dual core QL-64 2.1 ghz 
    3gb ram 
    windows vista home premium 32bit 
    Nvidia geforce 8200M G 

Ya its pretty shitty, but the requirements for modern warfare 2 i pass it;same goes for serious sam HD, both games i wanna purchase.  How well will they run? can you ballpark the settings? i already went to system requirements lab, and I can play mw2 according to them, but they dont have serious sam HD yet so.. 
    Thanks in advance!
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CowMuffins

Uh, well, let me just say this: I can run MW2 on a 2007 26" iMac (I think that's what it is anyways) I'm pretty sure you can run MW2, as for Serious Sam...why do you want that game exactly?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By conker

I never finished the first one, looks fun, from the quick look anyways. What settings do you think I can run MW2?
    WildFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By WildFire
    @Conker said: 

Interesting website for you, it's called "YouGamers", it will tell you in plain English how well your computer will do for specific games, it scans your system using it's custom FireFox plugin or Java Applet and then uses that information to compare it to the official system requirements. I think you'll be able to run it, the game isn't very demanding and uses the same Engine as Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty 5.

Check out the Modern Warfare 2 YouGamers Page,
    WildFire
    conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By conker
    @WildFire:
    The site wouldnt recognize my CPU =S
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Conker said:
    " Hey all, Ok so currently, my only 'gaming' tool is my laptop, which has the following specs: AMD Athlon dual core QL-64 2.1 ghz 3gb ram windows vista home premium 32bit Nvidia geforce 8200M G  Ya its pretty shitty, but the requirements for modern warfare 2 i pass it;same goes for serious sam HD, both games i wanna purchase.  How well will they run? can you ballpark the settings? i already went to system requirements lab, and I can play mw2 according to them, but they dont have serious sam HD yet so.. Thanks in advance! "
    I wouldn't worry about Serious Sam HD having performance issues on your computer. Like, at all. 

And buy MW2 for a console, or not at all, that's my experience with the fucking multiplayer.
    WildFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By WildFire

Regardless, all you need is a Pentium 4, Single Core 3.0GHz, if your Processor is a Dual-Core, 2.1GHz model AMD processor you should have very little trouble playing it.

Avatar image for theineffablebob
    TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TheIneffableBob
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " @Conker said:
    " Hey all, Ok so currently, my only 'gaming' tool is my laptop, which has the following specs: AMD Athlon dual core QL-64 2.1 ghz 3gb ram windows vista home premium 32bit Nvidia geforce 8200M G  Ya its pretty shitty, but the requirements for modern warfare 2 i pass it;same goes for serious sam HD, both games i wanna purchase.  How well will they run? can you ballpark the settings? i already went to system requirements lab, and I can play mw2 according to them, but they dont have serious sam HD yet so.. Thanks in advance! "
    I wouldn't worry about Serious Sam HD having performance issues on your computer. Like, at all.   And buy MW2 for a console, or not at all, that's my experience with the fucking multiplayer. "
    Why? Only difference between the PC and console versions is that on PC, it's on a PC, has text chat, and has keyboard and mouse. Console versions are just as bad with lag.
    Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's an onboard video card which are OK for games that are coded to run on many video cards like Half Life 2.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8200M-G.11360.0.html

It will not be good for 3D intensive games.  That is a notebook but here is advice if you have a desktop lying about.

Find out if you have a PCI express slot or an AGP slot and buy a card according to that. Odds are you have a PCI Express slot.

Search google for instructions on how to find out. (It will require opening the case)

Once you know for sure have a PCI Express slot than buy a good PCI express video card. I'd recommend at least an Nvidia 9800 GT. It will be easier to install everything with Nvidia since this will probably be your first time installing a video card. Make sure you got a good enough power supply. Otherwise upgrade that too. 

Something like this but less expensive.
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379006&Tpk=zalmann%20750w

Just make sure under specs it has 4 +12 volt rails @20 amps each. You can probably find a good 500-600 watt power supply. This is very important when you get a new video card because you wouldn't want your power supply to fail and take the computer components along with it.

If you don't have a desktop than just make due with what you got. Most important is to keep the labtop cleaned with an air pressure can. Unscrew it and clear out all the dust that builds up, that will dissipate the heat better and your video card won't melt.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ch13696

I borrowed a friends copy and mine ran perfectly fine. 
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 7550+ x2
    Video: nVidia 9800 GT 1 GB Video Memory
    Ram: 4GB DDR2

So basically judging from the 8 series from nVidia (cause I had problems with them too) I'm going to say that you will have some problems. Same with the processor. But your ram is just fine. That will last you till the end of next year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.