Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New Computer

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By NorthernFredz

So I have just ordered the parts for my new computer. Been wanting it for awhile but have only just managed to get the money together for it.

I'll get the tedious part out the way and list my components:

Case: Coolermaster Sileo 500
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 iP55  
    Processor: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache  
    RAM: 2gb Ddr3 1600mhz Hyperx Memory 
    Graphics Card: Zotac GTX260 192 Core synergy edition 896MB DDR3 
    Harddrive: Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache 
    PSU: OCZ Stealth XStream 600W

It's not completely state of the art but it should play everything on the market at the moment and for the foreseeable future after over-clocking. Anyway, the reason I am posting this (other than showing off) is because this is the first computer I've built and I was after some tips from the experienced GB community. I'm not really after build tips but more starting my new computer up tips.

For example, I remember seeing a quality website posted on GIzmodo where you just ticked the programs you wanted it to download and then it would do them all at once. I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called and if anyone knows that would be grand. 

Anyway, like I said, feel free to post tips or anything that you think might be of help and I'll let you know when my computer is up and running.

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NorthernFredz

So I have just ordered the parts for my new computer. Been wanting it for awhile but have only just managed to get the money together for it.

I'll get the tedious part out the way and list my components:

Case: Coolermaster Sileo 500
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 iP55  
    Processor: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache  
    RAM: 2gb Ddr3 1600mhz Hyperx Memory 
    Graphics Card: Zotac GTX260 192 Core synergy edition 896MB DDR3 
    Harddrive: Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache 
    PSU: OCZ Stealth XStream 600W

It's not completely state of the art but it should play everything on the market at the moment and for the foreseeable future after over-clocking. Anyway, the reason I am posting this (other than showing off) is because this is the first computer I've built and I was after some tips from the experienced GB community. I'm not really after build tips but more starting my new computer up tips.

For example, I remember seeing a quality website posted on GIzmodo where you just ticked the programs you wanted it to download and then it would do them all at once. I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called and if anyone knows that would be grand. 

Anyway, like I said, feel free to post tips or anything that you think might be of help and I'll let you know when my computer is up and running.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Seems like a decent setup, I would have gone with Western Digital over Seagate.  Other than that another 2GB of RAM may serve you well as long as you'll be running a 64-bit OS.

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NorthernFredz

I was stuck between the Western Digital and the Seagate harddrive but read that Seagate were back to their old ways and making decent drives again. Got it pretty cheap though so cannot complain. As for the RAM, I think I'll get another 2gb in the next few months. Just so skint now that all my money has gone on this.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Castro

Whenever I install Windows, I usually download Firefox first and then whatever video card drivers I need as the ones that came with the video card may not be the newest ones. As for thingie with the checkboxes that lets you install a bunch of programs at once, I think I saw what you are referring to on Tekzilla a few months ago and I think it's this:

http://ninite.com/

Also, good luck with your new computer! There are few things in life more exciting than getting a new computer.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

yeah only thing i see wrong is that 4gb was pretty standard for vista and ram is so inexpensive that you may as well double up.

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NorthernFredz

Castro you hero! That's the site I was after. Helps with a few of the things I need.

As for the RAM, I think you lot are probably right. Need to see if I can find a little extra cash and double up.

If anyone else has anymore tips, keep them coming- much appreciated.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DCFGS3

Yes, I agree with Marz, you DEFINITELY need more RAM. Remember to get all the drivers, and that's about it. Although during teh construction phase I found it handy to plug in the wires as I went, rather than leaving that till the end.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Kblt

Buy 2x2gb set of 1333mhz DDR3, Corsair PSU and a Western Digital Caviar Black HDD

Also the old core GTX260 is shite, buy either radeon 4870/4890/5770 or the core 216 version of GTX260

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.