Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New PC time

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By mongoose

I recently got a new job that has given me a little bit more cash than I used to have, so I thought "what to buy" ? Perhaps it's time to update my venerable PC which has been with me for some amount of time. 
    I'm pretty set on this idea and have been doing a tonne of research.   
    To fill you all in, here's what I'm going to be moving from:  Pentium IV 2.6GHz 
           2 GBts of RAM 
    80GB hard drive! 
    7800GS AGP graphics card 

So that's the important stuff.  I know what you're thinking, "holy crap, that shit is archaic!" and you're right.  That said though, it's done me proud pretty much up until fairly recently.  I was able to play STALKER with reasonable settings and FSX. 
    So, after loads of research and swaying, here's what the new system will be (I think):  Phenom II X4 BE  (possibly X6 if the price is right) 
       80GB Solid state drive & 1TB storage drive 
               4GB DDR3 RAM 
        ATI 5850 
    So, those are the important parts.  Windows 7 as well.  It's pretty exciting as I know that I'm going to see such a phenomenal speed boost and gain.  PCI express/USB 3/ SATA 2/3 all didn't even exist when I built that old system.  Games I'm super looking forward to are Call of pripyat, Anno 1404, ArmA 2, Empire:Total War, Dawn of War 2 and a few others. 

Let me know what you think of the system and any other recommendations you guys have.

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mongoose

I recently got a new job that has given me a little bit more cash than I used to have, so I thought "what to buy" ? Perhaps it's time to update my venerable PC which has been with me for some amount of time. 
    I'm pretty set on this idea and have been doing a tonne of research.   
    To fill you all in, here's what I'm going to be moving from:  Pentium IV 2.6GHz 
           2 GBts of RAM 
    80GB hard drive! 
    7800GS AGP graphics card 

So that's the important stuff.  I know what you're thinking, "holy crap, that shit is archaic!" and you're right.  That said though, it's done me proud pretty much up until fairly recently.  I was able to play STALKER with reasonable settings and FSX. 
    So, after loads of research and swaying, here's what the new system will be (I think):  Phenom II X4 BE  (possibly X6 if the price is right) 
       80GB Solid state drive & 1TB storage drive 
               4GB DDR3 RAM 
        ATI 5850 
    So, those are the important parts.  Windows 7 as well.  It's pretty exciting as I know that I'm going to see such a phenomenal speed boost and gain.  PCI express/USB 3/ SATA 2/3 all didn't even exist when I built that old system.  Games I'm super looking forward to are Call of pripyat, Anno 1404, ArmA 2, Empire:Total War, Dawn of War 2 and a few others. 

Let me know what you think of the system and any other recommendations you guys have.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

The PC that the dudes from Tested.com built is a nice computer for $1500.   I'd build another computer but i'm waiting for prices on the i7 980 and geforce gtx 480 to drop in price by a hundred or so then i have a core to build a new super system.

Tricks73r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Tricks73r

Dude, if you're looking for performance in the long run; I'd stick with the new Intel stuff. AMD has had a great track record for the past 7 years or so, but it's declining rapidly. This, coming from a guy who has an AMD Phenom X3 and has used them for a while. 

I'd kick up the DDR3 for sure; and make sure your mobo has USB 3.0 support, or you're going to be left in the dust when it comes to transfer rates.  Solid state drives bog down pretty fast right now as well - I'd consider waiting 6 months or so before investing. The archetecture isn't very solid; and the way it stores and organizes data is congruent with current flash drives; needless to say, not very good on a large scale unless you plan on formatting every 4 months or so.

Tricks73r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Tricks73r

If you can find one of these:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=027361&cid=MBD.303

You're set.

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mongoose

Yeah, I agree about the transfer rates.  Definitely getting at least an 890GX chipset. 

The core i5 is was actually very close to being the one, but I swayed to the Phenom II for futureproofing.  Everything I've seen says the the socket 1136 is a dead end, which totally sucks.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Maybe include a crossfire mobo, also a fermi GTX470 instead. Ati is cheaper and so are amd cpu's. I recommend an i5 or i7, however it's your choice. Still if you do buy that card, you can always crossfire it after a year or two if you want more power.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By Geno

1. You do not need 6 cores for games, and it will probably provide no benefit for another 3-4 years (considering dual cores are only just now being saturated) where better processors would be out anyway. Unless AMD is crazy enough to release their new X6's at the same price as current X4's you should not get an X6. 
    2. Do not get an SSD right now, their prices are constantly falling and there are a bunch of new technologies coming out since it's pretty much only in its infancy. You will likely be able to get something twice as fast with double the capacity for the same price mere months from now. In addition, they provide little to no benefit in games. Putting that money into the video card would be a far wiser choice. 

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mongoose

Yeah, the hexacore setup entirely depends on the price.  AMD is going for the "undercut Intel" route, so I'm interested to see what they price them at.  Should be out in a couple of weeks. 

Agreed on the videocard.  I do feel that if I get a 5850 then that should see me through for a long time, especially with the choice of crossfire in the future. 
    I like the look of the new Nvidia cards, but their price/performance ratio is not so good.  That said, it's Nvidia and they have a knack of pre-empting future technologies/working with vendors on future tech.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.