Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

OMG - WTF - An HDD disaster!

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I'll get straight to the point! My hard drive crashed. I can't repair it with Windows repair even though SMART shows the drives as healthy, when I go to Windows repair I can see the volume once the raid drivers have been added but I can't repair the issue as I get a read error!

All my important data gets saved straight to my network drive so the only data I had on my drive were files I downloaded like drivers, benchmark software, some pictures from fraps and my all important game saves!

I guess this is the best time for it to happen as I have exams coming up and should be preparing for those, but as I said in the title OMG - WTF!

My current set up had 2x 1tb drives stripped in a RAID configuration. I'm considering getting an alternative set up this time round, such as an SSD boot and a 1tb WD Black edition drive. Many of you guys already run this kind of configuration, what advice would you give to me for setting up a system this way. What are your SSD drive recommendations?

I'm thinking about getting something like a 120gb or maybe 2x 60gb models and then running them in raid as I have seen these for a little more than the price of a single 120gb drive . Any thoughts on these?

OCZ 120gb
    OCZ 60gb 
    Corsair 120gb
    Corsair 60gb

If anyone has ideas on recovering the current set up then that would also be appreciated, at least for long enough to get me game saves off the system!

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Vodun

I run a very slim boot so I just have a 60gb. I only keep my OS and any basic programs I run on it (advanced programs such as PhotoShop I have on a different computer). Everything else I have on separate drives. One for games, one for downloads, one for temporary storage and a NAS for long term backup and storage.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I also want to put crucial and intel into the mix. But I think the ocz vertex 2 seems like a decent SSD. Crucial is really fast, but I haven't been keeping up with the fastest new SSD drives, i'm sure there are better recommendations now.

About your crash, not sure, can you reformat? If that doesn't work, maybe one of your drives is dying, do you heard a clicking sound over and over? Hope it isn't some virus either.

I run a SSD with a WD black hardrive as you said. Look the first drive doesn't have to be big, none of the storage goes on that. The storage and games are suppose to be on other hardrives. So using a 60 gig SSD, is enough for windows, a few programs and also all the windows update which should take over 30 gigs. 60 gigs is enough if you want to save money, but of course 120 gigs means you can install a few games at a time. I rather put my games on a second hardrive.

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @HitmanAgent47: I was thinking about 2x 60gb for performance rather than storage, but I do like the idea of putting the games I'm playing right now on the SSD and then moving them when they are no longer flavour of the month. I guess I could go 1 60gb now and then add a second later if I feel I need it.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @TheKeyboardDemon: Might not make much of a difference, half a second from opening a browser to a fraction of a second. Or loading windows a few seconds faster isn't worth getting two of them right now. Then again it's up to you, one is fast enough for everything.

Can you scan your hardrive in a different pc for errors? I never tried that, so don't take that advice seriously.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @HitmanAgent47: Usually with 2 drives striped you get nearly double the read/write speeds, so 2x 60gb SSDs should give me over 540mb/s instead of 285mb/s. At least that's how I understand the theory behind it.

I haven't really had the time to check the drives, but I think it would be easier to install windows on to a spare hdd in the same PC and then use this to try and access the failed volume, I would be able to run tests at the same time. I might try this on the weekend.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yeah you would get that sort of speeds, but also think about the burst speeds and the technology behind a cacheless platterless drive. It's very fast and my point is, how much faster do you need thing when things on SSD are instantanous? You think you will even notice the difference when one drive is faster than anything you ever seen from a traditional hardrive?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148447&cm_re=crucial_ssd-_-20-148-447-_-Product

Anyways, check this out, 415mb/s read speed, 95mb/s write speed. Doesn't matter about the write speed, unless you are always installing things. If I didn't buy my SSD drive back then, which is slow, I would of bought this one instead.

Good luck with your decision, also if your willing to spend like more than $350 on hardrives, maybe you should put that towards a mobo and intel i5 2500k cpu.

I hope you mean you are going to install the operating system on the SSD first, then adress the failed volume next.

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @HitmanAgent47: If I was going to spend over $350 on a hard drive then I would most likely spend it on a Revodrive with 2 SSDs mounted on a PCIe card, but realistically I don't see a price/performance benefit with those yet.

I was actually talking about using a spare drive that I have just to slap Windows on it and see if I could access my raid volume that way, or at least just long enough to establish how bad the issues are and see if I can repair it. If I can then I won't buy other drives just yet. I would wait about 6 to 8 weeks and do it when I have more time to mess around with the system.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

Right, I grabbed myself a 500gb HDD, installed WIn 7 and then booted with the raid volume connected, I can see the raid volume so I ran chkdsk and it repaired 2 files in the EA folder and then checked it again and no errors were found, but when I try and boot from the raid drive I get a disk read error and can't start my PC.

Any ideas anyone?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't run my pc with raid, so I don't have the experience to talk about it. But did you isolate which particular drive was the problem? You can try to use one of the raid drive at a time and start checking it. Rather than both while you boot up with the 500 gig windows 7 drive. That's what i'll suggest, not sure if it will work. Just use the other ones as storage drives and check it.

Sounds like one hardrive might of physically failed somewhere and is about to go. That's only my opinion, not psychic.

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @HitmanAgent47: That is something I thought about, but I thought that if I try to fix the drives in isolation then I might end up disturbing the array when I put them back together. I am copying my game saves and photographs, then I might just reformat the drive from the 500gb unit before I try a fresh install.

I was thinking about try some RAID utilities to see if there was something that I could use to repair the volume but the only thing I could find was AMD RaidXpert which is a utility for remotely accessing and configuring a RAID array.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By borodin

I'm not totally sure it's your RAID that's messed up, if it were it isn't very likely at all you'd be able pull data from it in the way you did. You seem to be trying all the right sorts of things though, only thing I can suggest is (you're already doing it but it's worth saying again) get everything you don't want to lose off of the volume, then I would try approaching the situation as if it were a single drive i.e. maybe a bad mbr?

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @borodin: Thanks for the reassurance, it has helped make me feel better at least about what I am doing or have done already.

I was concentrating so hard on the RAID issues that I didn't think of looking at the basics. I downloaded a program called MbrFix and used the fixmbr option on that which immediately returned straight back to my Command prompt making me think that nothing had happened, a little feedback to say repair complete or no errors found would have been nice. So I thought I would give the Windows Installer disk a try to repair the MBR that way, but dozy, me I forgot to go into the BIOS and change my boot priority, not that I needed to as the PC booted straight into Windows with all of my files and game saves intact! So as usual when I am trouble shooting I strip my PC down to as close to barebones as I need to in order to isolate other potential issues, now all I need to do is put it back together again.

I am so relieved, and so is my wife, she wanted the money I was going to spend on my SSD for something else!

If we had a rep system on here I would be giving you a +1 now, it's the closest I can get to a man hug, but have a follow instead. ;)

Oh, I do like happy endings. That is if this is indeed the end!
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Wait, boot priority in the bios? Lol, that happened to me so many times before. I didn't remember, thought maybe there was an error in the drive or something. I've been there and done that. Everytime my cpu fan fails, or I had to turn off the pc manually, I have to go back and set the boot priority again.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By spazmaster666

I've been running with an SSD for my OS and core apps (Photoshop, Premiere, Office, etc.) along with a couple of fast 2TB drives and it's definitely been a great experience. I would recommend to stick with a single SSD at this point since while RAID definitely has it's advantages, you will lose the ability to use TRIM, which can be a very useful feature that helps a lot with SSD maintenance. In terms of drives to get, at the moment the OCZ Vertex 3 series seems to be best option in terms of performance that still relatively reasonable price-wise. Well that is if your motherboard supports SATA 3 or you have a SATA 3 PCI-E card.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By borodin
    @TheKeyboardDemon: lol awesome, glad it all turned out ok!
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @HitmanAgent47: For security reasons I disable options to Boot from CD, USB and External devices in the BIOS so I don't get someone booting my PC to bypass the login and gain access. Of course it means I have to remember to select the optical drive as my first boot device when I need to run the Windows Install disk, but how often do most people need to do that?

@spazmaster666: That's a good point, thanks for mentioning that, I'll need to read up on TRIM.

@borodin:
    No Caption Provided
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Wait, you mean you didn't select the hardrive as your first boot option? then disable the rest? I thought that's what you mean. Does that mean you need to boot from a disc from now on?

Trim support, basically what that means is for SSD drives is that SSD drives only have so many writes it can make before it stops working. Trim support writes over it in a special way bypassing this write problem and really extends the life of an SSD drive. My ssd drive has native TRIM support.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By haggis
    @spazmaster666 said:
    ... I would recommend to stick with a single SSD at this point since while RAID definitely has it's advantages, you will lose the ability to use TRIM, which can be a very useful feature that helps a lot with SSD maintenance...
    I was just going to ask if putting an SSD in a RAID would render TRIM inoperable, since I was considering that configuration in my next build. Good to keep in mind.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @HitmanAgent47: lol. It means the opposite to what you said, I only boot from the HDD and need to go into the BIOS to select another option.

Thanks for explaining TRIM, it's useful to know about that feature as it was the limited number of Writes that was putting me off getting an SSD in the first place.
    Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Devildoll

i got myself a 120 GB ocz vertex 3 max iops the other week , its great so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.