Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Opinions on a good flight sim

Matty_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Matty_R

Hey everybody,

Just recently i've discovered my love for flight sims - I bought Flight Simulator X and i'm even now participating in Microsoft Flight beta, I have bought IL-2 Cliffs of Dover and tried Janes Advanced Strike Fighters. The thing i've found with Flight Sim X and Microsoft Flight is, although a great experience - once you're in the air its horribly boring. IL-2 Cliffs of Dover seems to struggle on graphics even though I have a beast of a machine and Janes Advanced Strike Fighters doesn't even work properly with my joystick. Lately i've also been playing Battlefield 3 only for the jets so I can get my fix for dog fighting - even though of course it isn't realistic, its a hell of a lot of fun.

So my question to the PC Gaming Master Race is this - What is a really good Flight Sim that allows me to have dogfights, works with a joystick and has decent graphics? (and won't run horribly because it is unoptimized).

Thanks all.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spoonman671
    Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
    DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crimson Skies is the absolutely one of my favorite flight experiences of all time, and I can't recommend the original highly enough. Can't speak as to how well it works on a modern computer however.

Matty_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Matty_R

Thanks Spoonman671 - I'll check it out.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Draugen

I used to play LOMAC a few years ago. The game might be a bit old now, but I've never played another sim I've enjoyed more.

Master Race...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

Last flight Sim I played and loved was F22 Raptor but that was years ago, when i was in middle school.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By CountMacula

@DarknessMyOldFriend said:

Crimson Skies is the absolutely one of my favorite flight experiences of all time, and I can't recommend the original highly enough. Can't speak as to how well it works on a modern computer however.

This is the correct answer right here. Would love to see them make the engine open source so we could have a situation similar to Freespace 2....

Matty_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Matty_R

- Look up Zero Punctuation to get what i'm talking about with PC Gaming Master Race :)

So does this mean that there aren't really any good current flight sims? I'm trying to find out were I can get DCS A-10 to give it a go, but i'm not liking my chances (Seems to be fairly rare)

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deathfury

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 is pretty fly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfury said:

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 is pretty fly.

I second this. I'm staying away from Cliffs of Dover until it gets patched a little bit more, but 1946 is very polished. It also includes the Pacific theater, so your dogfights aren't just limited to Europe.

Matty_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Matty_R

: I tried Cliffs of Dover and it ran horribly - i'm guessing this isn't indicative of the entire series?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Matty_R said:

: I tried Cliffs of Dover and it ran horribly - i'm guessing this isn't indicative of the entire series?

I think you can still find an ancient demo for IL-2 Sturmovik on the Internet, released way back when it came out. So you should try that if you're concerned. I originally played 1946 on an older Athlon XP machine with 2GBs of RAM and an Nvidia 6800, and it played well.

1946 is a compilation of all the IL-2 games pre-Cliffs of Dover, and after being continually patched and polished over the years, 1946 is a compelling package. I would have jumped on Cliffs of Dover at launch, since I've been looking for a good Battle of Britain-focused game since Rowan's Battle of Britain, but all the reviews I've read so far have been astounded at how poorly Cliffs of Dover performs compared to its predecessors.

Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Sliced_Bread

I second DCS A10, and add DCS Blackshark and Falcon 4 with the BMS mod

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ketchupp

I recommend DCS A10C as well. If you're really serious about it you should look into TrackIR.

Matty_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Matty_R

I watched the review of DCS A10C and it looks pretty good - i'll try to get that. As for the TrackIR to get it is about $300 with some tracking dots or something. Not sure if i'll bother investing in something like that - considering I could probably get an Xbox Kinect and it would do that same thing with tracking dots.

Blakyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Blakyle

Two weeks ago I was accepted into the alpha for World of Warplanes. It is simply amazing especially considering its stage of development. I can't ascertain as to when it will be released, but when it is, it should be high on your list. The controls might need a bit of tweaking, at least they did for me playing it on my gamepad, anyways the dog fights are fast and fun and a skilled opponent can make for a pulse pounding battle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.