Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC Build Rolling

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@millaj: Are you going to overclock? If so, I'd go with something better than a 212 EVO, which is good for bringing down temperature and noise over stock cooling at stock clock, but isn't really great for any sort of serious OCing. If not, you can save money on your processor and motherboard.

And I really wouldn't buy Windows 7 at this point, it's a 7 year old operating system, and support for it is already getting thin.

Are the Amazon links just for demonstration, or are you buying from them? If so, I'd advise against it, that seems like quite a lot to spend for a PC of that quality, you can get better prebuilts for cheaper than that.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By an_ancient

@pcorb:i think you should follow that up with a concrete product suggestion as prebuilts have a lot of well warranted stigma against them

@millaj:looks ok to me if you know yourself and your gaming habits. what I don't know is if a 1080Ti needs a 850W PSU, I guess nobody knows at this point. Your Mobo supports a max of 64GB or RAM. Maybe it'd be simpler to get 1x16GB RAM stick instead of 2x8GB, that way when you do want to max the RAM in the machine you won't have to figure out what to do with the 8GB sticks and just have to buy 3x16GB new sticks instead of four. The risk of course is that if the first 16GB stick breaks you are left without a system. Just my two cents.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WynnDuffy

Your PSU is extremely overkill, bear in mind dual GTX 1080s and a 6700k can run fine on 550W PSUs (still wouldn't recommend it) so for a single Pascal based system, a 650W is more than enough. A 550W is going to run a single Titan or beefed up 1080 (ti) with no issues (though as you may know there is no 1080ti).

Never pay too much for a PSU unless you really do need it, it's just a waste of money. I'm running my overclocked 1080 (+130 core / 600 memory) and 6700k (4.9 Ghz) on a 650W and my system doesn't even draw 400w from the wall socket max load.

I wouldn't be using Windows 7 in 2016, Windows 10 not only performs better but you need it for some games and that's going to increase over the next few years as DX11 phases out. I understand why people like 7 but it's showing its age and you're throwing away system performance by running it.

Windows 10 is available here for incredibly low prices (Resold OEM keys). I bought one and have had no problems.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pcorb
    xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xGryfter

I'm agreeing with @jasoncooke on this one. A 650w PSU is plenty for anything not significantly overclocked and running half a dozen hard drives with SLI. I'm also agreeing with the Windows 7 thing, unless you are running software that will only work with Windows 7 I suggest going Windows 10 Home (64-bit). You can get a legitimate copy for $80.

He can also get better RAM for a lower price, especially if he isn't overclocking. While the pre-built in the above link is a pretty good price they are using lower quality components to save a few bucks.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb: Ah, sorry, misinterpreted your comment.

I'm personally also holding off on Windows 10. I have it on two tablets where it's fine, but Microsoft is reimagining itself out as a company and how to deliver a rolling OS. Currently my feeling is that they are on the verge of going back on some of their decisions that have garnered them so much ill will since they haven't met their quotas.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good. Reminds me of a quote from the Crysis 3 QL.

"You can tell its the future, cause hexagons."

Cool that you got more RAM in than anticipated.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Just curious why you went 1060 over the 70 or 80. How's it been working out for you?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.