Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC gaming Build (2nd revision)

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Doing a lot of research with my friend, whose also building a similar set up, we revised our list of components tell me what ya think.

-AMD PHENOM II X4 955 Black Edition (purchased)
    -MSI 790FX
    -XFX HD 4890 (purchased)
    -Corsair 750w PSU (purchased)
    -Western Digital Caviar Black 750gb (purchased)
    -SteelSeries iKari mouse  (purchased)

-(RAM UNDECIDED) - looking into 1333 rams since from what we hear 1333 vs 1600 shows negligible real world performance differences.
    - (DISPLAY UNDECIDED) looking into 24" 1920X1080 display.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Looking good so far, wish I could have some stuff like that, but I'm ok with my 8800gt and 6600 quad core for now.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Giantsquirrel

If cash isn't too much of an issue I would strongly recommend a Samsung Touch of Color series LCD monitor. I have the T260HD model, which is a 26" 1920x1200 LCD with cable, HDMI and component inputs. If you don't want/need anything other than VGA/DVI there's the T260.

If you're set on a 24" the model line has different sizes too.

The whole series is kind of expensive but I absolutely adore mine. Would definitely buy it again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Giantsquirrel:

yea I'm pretty set on the 24"

I'm trying to not spend more then 230 on the display

also debating between 1920x1080 vs 1920x1200. i'll be mainly using it for gaming, and I'm a big fan of width over height of a screen. Just a personal preference.

Was looking into this Asus display

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Gunner  Online

I would have went with intel, but thats only because im a sellout.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

I have this apprehension against ATI / AMD (I know they're the same now).  From back a long time ago when buying a AMD CPU was asking for trouble, and the time I bought an ATI 9800 and it worked like total crap.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    @Jman522: I would recommend getting a Viewsonic 24" which is 1900x1080. It has all the normal inputs and has zero input lag just like a CRT monitor. Located here.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond
    @Agnogenic said:
     and has zero input lag just like a CRT monitor
    Is there timing tests to prove that or are you just making that up?  You know the tests where people take a photo of a CRT and the LCD with that timing software running?
    Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    @Diamond said:
    " @Agnogenic said:
     and has zero input lag just like a CRT monitor
    Is there timing tests to prove that or are you just making that up?  You know the tests where people take a photo of a CRT and the LCD with that timing software running? "
    My friend has one and told me there isn't any (not a great source I know). I found it mentioned here too. I could ask my friend if he could run the frame time software if your interested.
    Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Ham08

Looks pretty good, Jman522.

I think all AM3 motherboards have the SB750 southbridge which eliminates some of the Phenom overclocking problems from earlier chipsets (mainly over-voltage, heat issues, and stability when overclocking).  Sometimes it is beneficial to add some heatsinks to the mosfets on your chipset.  Your board doesn't need it, though.

I just looked at the DDR3 2133Mhz RAM at the egg and saw that the following will be arriving in early July:

• G.SKILL Perfect Storm 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17066): $279.99 (approximately $47/GB)

Wow!  That's expensive RAM!  LOL

The timing and voltage would have to be taken into consideration, since the motherboard default detection settings may not be configured properly.  You do have to worry about bottleneck which caps the performance of your other components if the frequencies aren't matched up (Slower RAM might bottleneck the performance of that killer video card you have listed).

Everyone has opinions on building computers and I must admit  I'm no expert, but I would do some research to find out how to match up the frequencies of video cards and RAM so that you do not end up capping your system's potential (without breaking the bank, of course).  Also, you might want to invest in an after-market CPU heatsink/fan or look into a water-cooling kit, especially if you are going to overclock.

Cheers and good luck!

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Good call on the ASUS monitor, my friend has one and it's wonderful for the price.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ham08:

thanks for the advice^^
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Binman88
    @Jman522 said:
    " also debating between 1920x1080 vs 1920x1200. i'll be mainly using it for gaming, and I'm a big fan of width over height of a screen. Just a personal preference.
     "
    I'd recommend you go for a 1920 x 1200. The 1080 won't really be any wider, you're just unnecessarily losing 120px in height for no gain elsewhere. 16:9 is a TV aspect ratio primarily anyway, so most PC focused things are optimised for the monitor standard of 16:10.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.