Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC Gaming with Controllers

• 58 results
    dwgill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By dwgill

@kgb0515 said:

I know many of you PC loyalists prefer to play most games with a keyboard and a mouse, but I think I will be building a gaming PC over the next year as I switch over from primarily playing games on consoles. My biggest thing is that I'm simply not coordinated enough to splay my fingers across a keyboard without losing reaction time. The other day, I downloaded the ArmA 2 demo just to see if my laptop could run it, (it can...barely) and I downloaded drivers for my wired 360 controller so I could use it to play. What I ran into was a frustrating command configuration menu that made me not want to play at all. I know the 360 controller may not be ideal for most games since it has limited input, but it's what I'm used to. My question is, are most newer PC games more controller friendly, or can I expect to fiddle with input settings for a while before sitting down to actually play my games?

As others said, most newly released PC games this days ship with controller support, and even those that don't support it directly can often still be played with the right software. But there are still games you'll probably want to use a mouse & keyboard for. As said before, you'll probably find a controller will be something of a handicap in most competitive multiplayer games (FPS and RTS games spring to mind in particular) but it's perfectly workable in most any other context. Indeed, I bought mine specifically to play all of the platformers I recently rediscovered in my Steam library.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Bell_End

i always keep a controller in one pocket and a keyboard and mouse in the other pocket. this means i can play any game and have the right controller at the right time. it suits me and i like it.

kumquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By kumquat

I'm always switching off. I'd hate to play something like Batman or Assassin's Creed with a KB/M.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By impartialgecko

I like not having carpal tunnel, so controller friendly PC games get two thumbs up

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Tsoglani

After deciding to get a new PC and start gaming on that rather than primarily console, at first I was bugging out from controller withdrawal; to the point I went to the store after a few weeks with the intention of buying a controller, but after thinking about it for a minute I said stuff it, I'm going to give the keyboard and mouse another crack... haven't regretted it, it is so true that you get used to it. The control and options for slots, etc are second to none.

But, I do think there are some games better suited to a controller; out of all my games on PC, Mini Ninjas is one that I would prefer to use a controller. But I can't imagine playing stuff like the Witcher with anything other than keyboard and mouse.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

The only advantage is the mouse. The keyboard side of things is slow, clumsy and archaic. Any single player game I will always play with a game pad. I got Bioshock 2 in the steam sale and was angry to find out I can't use my 360 gamepad. That game is ridiculous with a KB\M the sensitivity is crazy even on the lowest setting. It just takes you out of the game when your supposed to be a big daddy and are turning 180 degrees in a split second.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By warxsnake

Buy a wireless xbox controller along with the receiver that hooks up to PC USB. Done.  

I use the controller only on third person games like Mass Effect and Max Payne, but the only thing I like about the controller is analog movement. Don't care for rumble.  

I'd like a PC peripheral that enabled analog movement, whether thats pressure sensitive keyboards or a better accessory like the G13, then I can ditch the xbox controller. 

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By impartialgecko

@Tsoglani: Anything that's a platformer is dreadful without a controller. But I agree the KB/M is necessary for your insanely deep RPGs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.