Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Quadro vs GeForce

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I'm starting to do a lot of work in After Effects but I also want to be able to game at the equivalent of my current GTX 275. 

Based on that, can anyone who has experience with video or 3D rendering fill me in on a good rendering GPU?

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Funzzo

When I was looking for a new GPU I had the same question.  From what Ive heard cards that are made for 3D modeling or workstations are not good for gaming. But if youve got the cash get a coulpe of superclocked 480s and you should be set.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By No0b0rAmA

If you're editing for a living (as a job), you probably should go ahead and spend your money on a Quadro. However, if your just making videos as just a part time, either the 480 or the 470 should be fine.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SlasherMan

You can softmod you a Geforce card to a Quadro and vice versa (same goes for ATI with Radeon and FirePro). The professional cards are essentially the same as their gaming counterparts, except they use specialized drivers that focus on performance and stability in professional rendering applications (though sometimes the professional variants might have extra VRAM).

Be aware that this process is not guaranteed to work for all the software you might be using. 

Here's a nice guide:
    http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539

There is no need to worry about messing up as the process is harmless and completely reversible. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.