Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

RAM, Speakers and other questions

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By inkerman

Hi guys,

Right now I'm studying in the US until January, and I'm looking at upgrading my computer when I get back to Australia. I expected I'd need to get a job on my return, but I may actually be coming into some money here in the US, so I'm considering getting my parts from Newegg, and then just posting them back to Australia.

First of all, I'm looking at upgrading my RAM, I currently have 6GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (here), and I'm looking at getting more (basically another 6GB to make it to 12). I just wanted to check that my specs would be fine, I have an ASUS P6T Mobo (here) and an i7 920 (here). I know usually I'd be fine, but I was never certain with triple channel memory.

My second planned purchase is a speaker set for my PC, one good enough to play music really well (I'm not an audiophile or anything, just want a good set). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, my budget is probably going to be around $300.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ace829

You didn't hear the word on the street man? RAM is overrated! Just get a thin block of wood and that'll do just fine. I mean, RAM is the thing that gives you the graphics right? Right???

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger
    Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Toxeia

The orange and the black are each their own channels. As long as all the ones in the black are identical, and all the ones in the orange are identical, triple channel's no problem. The only issue you'll run into is if the new ram or the old ram has different timings, they're going to run at whichever the slower is. Find something with the same timings as what you've got now, or better and you're kosher.

And I couldn't tell you anything about speakers. I'm rocking a new set of Plantronics Gamecom 780 headphones. Haven't used an actual computer speaker since 95.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By vivek

For PC speakers you cannot beat the Logitech Z906 . I Got a set in September and listening to music, watching films and playing games has never been the same. They are THX certified and even with a 2.1 (better with 5.1) setup the sound is harmonious and frankly amazing. They are a bit pricey but I look at them as something that I will not replace for 5-10 years so well worth the money.

THX Certified, DTS Digital, PC Connectors, 2 Digital Optical Inputs (great for PS3/360) Also does 3D Surround if that is your thing.
    THX Certified, DTS Digital, PC Connectors, 2 Digital Optical Inputs (great for PS3/360) Also does 3D Surround if that is your thing.
    stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By stenchlord

I'd recommend going for stereo speakers, in order to get the most out of a surround sound you really need to set the speakers up properly which for the most part is a hassle.. For bang for buck you really can't pass up the Microlab Solo6C's. Probably nearly as good as the AudioEngine 2's but got some better bass.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inkerman

@stenchlord said:

I'd recommend going for stereo speakers, in order to get the most out of a surround sound you really need to set the speakers up properly which for the most part is a hassle.. For bang for buck you really can't pass up the Microlab Solo6C's. Probably nearly as good as the AudioEngine 2's but got some better bass.

This was my concern, I currently have some Logitech surround sound speakers, the precursors to the Z506, so it's not brilliant quality. Right now I'm tossing between the Altec MX6021s and the AudioEngine 2s (maybe even AE 5s). My problem with the Solo6c's is that I don't like the look of them (petty I know), I've never liked the wood finish.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By TyCobb
    inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By inkerman

@TyCobb said:

Are you specifically looking for speakers? Best purchase I ever made.

Haha, I actually have those exact headphones, I agree, they're great. I used headphones for about 5 or 6 years, especially when our PC was in the living area ostensibly so my parents could monitor how much me and my brother used it, but recently I switched to playing through speakers rather than headphones, couldn't tell you why, I just found it more comfortable I think. I started playing less games and listening to more music and podcasts while I surfed the Internet, I think that may have had something to do with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.