Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Rate this PC (Encore edition)

• 86 results
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

Okay guys so this is the full PC build I am getting, please rate out of 10 and suggest any changes -

Cooler Master HAF 932, Black/Silver,
    mATX/ATX/eATX , No PSU, 2 x USB2.0,
    1x IEEE 1394, 1x eSATA

Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB), PC-12800
    (1600MHz) DDR3, Dominator DHX,
    7-7-7-20, Triple Channel Kit

eVGA GeForce GTX260 (675Mhz),
    896MB DDR3 (2304Mhz), PCI-E 2.0,
    Exhaust Cooled, 2x DVI, HDCP, HDTV
    (Super Clocked Edition)

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 MB, Intel
    X58+ICH10R, QPI 6.4GT/s, DDR3 2200,
    PCI-Ex16, SATA3, USB 3.0, RAID, IDE,
    2xGbE LAN, 8ch audio, 2oc PCB,
    Heatpipe.

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz, 8MB Cache,
    1066Mhz FSB, Quad Core

LG CH08LS10 Blu Ray Combo Drive (Blu
    Ray Reader, DVD Burner), 8X BD-R,16x
    DVDRW, BD-R/RE SL/25GB and
    DL/50GB Light Scribe

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    64bit DVD OEM

Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 All-In-One CPU
    Cooler

Razer Lachesis 3G Laser Mouse,
    Banshee Blue, 4000DPI, 32KB Memory,
    9 Buttons, Teflon Feet

Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition Gaming
    Keyboard, 10 customizable software
    profiles, 1000Hz Ultra polling,
    Earphone-out microphone-in jacks, USB

Samsung 22" Widescreen, Black, 1680 x
    1050, 120Hz, 3ms, 20000:1, VGA,
    DVI/w HDCP, 3D-Ready

Sennheiser PC350 Pro Gaming Headset
    & Mic

Thermaltake ToughPower QFan 850
    Watt Active PFC Cable Management

Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black,
    SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

Thanks guys, and please suggest anything to change even if its the keyboard, mouse, headset etc. 

Please Note: The CPU will be overclocked and the graphic card is only unitl the Nvidia Fermi comes out.

And a bonuis question - which motherboard should I get, the one in the about system or Asus P6T V2?

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bobdaman18

Looks nice, dunno about the rating, but just as a heads up, dell has a decent deal on the 5850 which would let you get in on some dx11.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1799167

Good luck either way.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yukoei
    @Bobdaman18 said:
    " Looks nice, dunno about the rating, but just as a heads up, dell has a decent deal on the 5850 which would let you get in on some dx11.   http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1799167  Good luck either way. "
    Im not going to waste my money on an ATI card when Nvidia is coming out with theirs soon. Thanks anyway.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yukoei

Sorry but... 

BUMP!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#5  Edited By citizenkane

Looks nice.  I wish I had a better graphics card for my laptop.  :(

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By essaregee
    @Yukoei:
    You should get the EVGA X58 Classified
    That's the motherboard I have in my PC at the moment. It might be a bit overkill (in terms of price) but if you gave the cash to spend on it go ahead, it's a great enthusiest board for overclocking. 

If you don't want to shell out $550.00 you can go for this one. 
    For the record I am a EVGA fan, so that's why I'd suggest the EVGA mobos. They have the best customer support ever (I screwed up mobos and video cards from modding them and got them all replaced at no charge), their lifetime warrenty is the best. 

Also worth mentioning is that the boards can be found on ebay for $100-$200 less. (That's how I got mine)
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By torus

With 10 being, what?  

It's 'pretty good', and will play all the games, until it doesn't. That's how PCs are. 

Some suggestions, however. 

-Ditch the Lachesis. That thing fucking sucks. Get a Deathadder or Imperator if you need to go with Razer. 

-Get rid of that monitor. 22" and only 1680x1050? That's garbage, and the fact that it can output to 3d does not make up for it. Get a proper 1920x1200 monitor, you will thank me.  

-Get some real headphones, instead of buying into that 'gaming headphone' nonsense. That's pure marketing. Pick up some Grado SR80i's- the sound quality is excellent.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yukoei
    @torus said:
    " With 10 being, what?  

It's 'pretty good', and will play all the games, until it doesn't. That's how PCs are. 

-Ditch the Lachesis. That thing fucking sucks. Get a Deathadder or Imperator if you need to go with Razer. 

-Get rid of that monitor. 22" and only 1680x1050? That's garbage, and the fact that it can output to 3d does not make up for it. Get a proper 1920x1200 monitor, you will thank me.  

-Get some real headphones, instead of buying into that 'gaming headphone' nonsense. That's pure marketing. Pick up some Grado SR80i's- the sound quality is excellent. "
    3D is one of the main reasons for the new computer, how can I ditch that?

Have you ever used/heard of those headphones, apparently they are really good.

The guy their suggested the mouse ill tell him to change it for me, oh and which do you recommend (doesnt have to be Razor)
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By essaregee

Also, I would suggest water cooling (a single CPU loop will suffice) 
    You can go full water-cooled, but as you said you are going to wait for nVidia. 

Water cooling is sometimes tricky but works well. 
    Also I am sorry for this, I am basing this on my personal experiance.
    contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By contagious
    @Yukoei said:

Please Note: The CPU will be overclocked

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12322
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:
    " @Yukoei:
    You should get the EVGA X58 Classified
    That's the motherboard I have in my PC at the moment. It might be a bit overkill (in terms of price) but if you gave the cash to spend on it go ahead, it's a great enthusiest board for overclocking. 

If you don't want to shell out $550.00 you can go for this one. For the record I am a EVGA fan, so that's why I'd suggest the EVGA mobos. They have the best customer support ever (I screwed up mobos and video cards from modding them and got them all replaced at no charge), their lifetime warrenty is the best.  Also worth mentioning is that the boards can be found on ebay for $100-$200 less. (That's how I got mine) "
    Not sure about the motherboard, does it support SATA III?
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By torus
    @Yukoei said:
    " @torus said:
    " With 10 being, what?  

-Get some real headphones, instead of buying into that 'gaming headphone' nonsense. That's pure marketing. Pick up some Grado SR80i's- the sound quality is excellent. "
    3D is one of the main reasons for the new computer, how can I ditch that?   Have you ever used/heard of those headphones, apparently they are really good.   The guy their suggested the mouse ill tell him to change it for me, oh and which do you recommend (doesnt have to be Razor) "

You can ditch 3d because 1680x1050 on a 22 inch monitor looks like garbage. Unless you have the cash to buy up to a 1080p "3d capable" (if they even exist) monitor, then don't. 

I personally wouldn't get those headphones, but they are by no means 'bad', just rebranded. You'll probably be fine with them however.

And as far as the mouse goes, of course he suggested that one- it's one of the more expensive Razer mice. However, I've had one, and it blows. As long as you are right-handed, get a Razer Deathadder or a Logitech G500. Lachesis is easily their worst mouse to date.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno

I would change the case to Antec 1200. I own a Haf 932, and while it's fully functional as a case, that thing is ugly.  

I would go for an EVGA mobo as someone else suggested. They make awesome mobos for Nvidia cards and seem to yield some performance benefits as well.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I know razer keyboards are sort of loud when you press the keys and stuff, also I don't like the razor lachieze or whatever it's called, it's difficult to grip tbh. However that's only my opinion, might work for you. Let me tell you, blue ray movies looks brilliant on a pc monitor. Even at 1680X1050, blue ray will still work, well for my samsung 22" monitor anyways, however blue ray is usually at 1080p. Good choice of hardrive, evga's card, good enough for now, good speed and stuff for their overclock. That would still last you a while before you get a gtx300 fermi card later on.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By essaregee

@Yukoei:
    Unfortunately it does not. Sata II is the limit of this mobo. Also the initial revisions did, however for some odd reason (not sure why) SATA III chips were stripped from the boards later on. Also worth mentioning, the $550 card will not fit in the case, you need a full tower case for it to work (and a crapload of open slots)

However this will support SATA III and even feature dual 1336 sockets (Yes, can you imagine dual i7s)

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yukoei
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I know razer keyboards are sort of loud when you press the keys and stuff, also I don't like the razor lachieze or whatever it's called, it's difficult to grip tbh. However that's only my opinion, might work for you. Let me tell you, blue ray movies looks brilliant on a pc monitor. Even at 1680X1050, blue ray will still work, well for my samsung 22" monitor anyways, however blue ray is usually at 1080p. Good choice of hardrive, evga's card, good enough for now, good speed and stuff for their overclock. That would still last you a while before you get a gtx300 fermi card later on.

"
    So is the monitor good?
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:
    "

@Yukoei:
    Unfortunately it does not. Sata II is the limit of this mobo. Also the initial revisions did, however for some odd reason (not sure why) SATA III chips were stripped from the boards later on. Also worth mentioning, the $550 card will not fit in the case, you need a full tower case for it to work (and a crapload of open slots)

However this will support SATA III and even feature dual 1336 sockets (Yes, can you imagine dual i7s)

"
    Wait...WTF? I thought the HAF 932 was a full case?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Yukoei: Your using it with 3d vision right? What choice do you have? I'm just saying if you ever want to watch blue ray movies, which I think you can with that, the pixels are not an exact match, however for 3d games if that is your priority, the monitor is good enough. You wouldn't have a lot to choose from, for 120Hz lcd monitors right now for 3d vision.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yukoei
    @Geno said:
    " I would change the case to Antec 1200. I own a Haf 932, and while it's fully functional as a case, that thing is ugly.   I would go for an EVGA mobo as someone else suggested. They make awesome mobos for Nvidia cards and seem to yield some performance benefits as well. "
    So which motherboard do you suggest? I went with the one mainly for the SATAIII
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By essaregee

Mobo:
    XL-ATX Form Factor
    Length: 13.58in - 345mm
    Width: 10.375in ? 263.5mm     

Case: 

ATX/ EATX
    Length:  (W)9.0" X (H)21.5" X (D)22.7" 

Sorry, by bad. It is a fulltower case, but it just won't fit. This mobo is freeking MASSIVE. 
    You need a super-full tower case for the thing to fit. The only one's I can think of are the Thermalake Xaser, and the Lian Li P80    (both about the 500 mark) 
    In the below pic you can see what I mean. 

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yukoei
    @torus said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @torus said:
    " With 10 being, what?  

3D is one of the main reasons for the new computer, how can I ditch that?   Have you ever used/heard of those headphones, apparently they are really good.   The guy their suggested the mouse ill tell him to change it for me, oh and which do you recommend (doesnt have to be Razor) "
     You can ditch 3d because 1680x1050 on a 22 inch monitor looks like garbage. Unless you have the cash to buy up to a 1080p "3d capable" (if they even exist) monitor, then don't.   I personally wouldn't get those headphones, but they are by no means 'bad', just rebranded. You'll probably be fine with them however. And as far as the mouse goes, of course he suggested that one- it's one of the more expensive Razer mice. However, I've had one, and it blows. As long as you are right-handed, get a Razer Deathadder or a Logitech G500. Lachesis is easily their worst mouse to date. "
    Just noticed those headphones dont have a mic =P so if I did buy those how would i talk?
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By essaregee

The only 3d capable (meaning 120 Hz) monitors I can think of are all 1680x1050, even though they say they are HD, they aren't actually. 
    HD native resolution is 1920x1080.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:
    "
    Mobo:
    XL-ATX Form Factor
    Length: 13.58in - 345mm
    Width: 10.375in ? 263.5mm     

Case: 

ATX/ EATX
    Length:  (W)9.0" X (H)21.5" X (D)22.7" 

Sorry, by bad. It is a fulltower case, but it just won't fit. This mobo is freeking MASSIVE. 
    You need a super-full tower case for the thing to fit. The only one's I can think of are the Thermalake Xaser, and the Lian Li P80    (both about the 500 mark) 
    In the below pic you can see what I mean. 
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Would a Antec 1200 be alright?
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By torus

I used to have a 20" 1680x1050 monitor. When I upgraded to a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, it was heaven. Lets be honest, you are not spending the majority of your time on the PC gaming (probably). Having 5 different windows open and working in all of them is for the win :D.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yukoei
    @torus said:

" I used to have a 20" 1680x1050 monitor. When I upgraded to a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, it was heaven. Lets be honest, you are not spending the majority of your time on the PC gaming (probably). Having 5 different windows open and working in all of them is for the win :D. "

But...3D vision is my main reason =( I am fucking confused =(

also if you didnt catch my last post to you -

Just noticed those headphones dont have a mic =P so if I did buy those how would i talk? 
    Cyphalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Cyphalon

Fairy Tail is sweet

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By essaregee

@Yukoei:

Nope =( 
    You need 11 open slots for the mobo to fit haha. 
    As with the HAF, it only has 7. 

Now that brings me to another point. Unless you want to do some SERIOUS gaming, don't bother with this mobo. 24GB ram, and 4 way SLI is somewhat un-needed. (and the 11 PCIE slots).  

Edit:

@cyphalon   
    As much as I love anime, this is not the correct thread, kthxbai.  

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yukoei
    @cyphalon said:
    " Fairy Tail is sweet "
    lmao! Very off-topic but yes, it is indeed sweet =)
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By essaregee
    @Yukoei said:
    " @cyphalon said:
    " Fairy Tail is sweet "
    lmao! Very off-topic but yes, it is indeed sweet =) "
    Omg! Was that a successful thead hijack?
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:

" @Yukoei: Nope =( You need 11 open slots for the mobo to fit haha. As with the HAF, it only has 7.  Now that brings me to another point. Unless you want to do some SERIOUS gaming, don't bother with this mobo. 24GB ram, and 4 way SLI is somewhat un-needed. (and the 11 PCIE slots).   Edit: Great, a troll has entered this thread. "

Okay, so which should I bother with then =P

And if you are referring cyphalon then how is he trolling >_>
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By essaregee
    @Yukoei said:
    " @essaregee said:

" @Yukoei: Nope =( You need 11 open slots for the mobo to fit haha. As with the HAF, it only has 7.  Now that brings me to another point. Unless you want to do some SERIOUS gaming, don't bother with this mobo. 24GB ram, and 4 way SLI is somewhat un-needed. (and the 11 PCIE slots).   Edit: Great, a troll has entered this thread. "

And if you are referring cyphalon then how is he trolling >_> "

Nope, fixed it XD. (The cyphalon thing) nvm about it haha. 
    But what I am saying is how high do you need your performance to be? I mean if you are going to go with a single GPU, or even two gpus, than this board is overkill. If you were reffering to the case, then the Lian Li trumps other cases. The case has superb build quality, and very modular (removeable mobo tray, etc), it is also meant for water cooling (it has a compartment for the PSU and water cool pump, radiator that can be accessed from the top). Unless you know you are going to want to do 4-way SLI and major overclocking as well as having very deep pockets dont bother with this. The case and mobo alone will set you back a good $1,400 with taxes. 

If you want more info on the case, you can find it here (including pics and specs)
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @essaregee said:

And if you are referring cyphalon then how is he trolling >_> "

Nope, fixed it XD. (The cyphalon thing) nvm about it haha. 
    But what I am saying is how high do you need your performance to be? I mean if you are going to go with a single GPU, or even two gpus, than this board is overkill. If you were reffering to the case, then the Lian Li trumps other cases. The case has superb build quality, and very modular (removeable mobo tray, etc), it is also meant for water cooling (it has a compartment for the PSU and water cool pump, radiator that can be accessed from the top). Unless you know you are going to want to do 4-way SLI and major overclocking as well as having very deep pockets dont bother with this. The case and mobo alone will set you back a good $1,400 with taxes. 

If you want more info on the case, you can find it here (including pics and specs) "
    Okay, well fuck that motherboard then lmao. In the future I will SLI 2 Nvidia Fermi and will overclock the CPU. So which board do you think I should get?
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yukoei
    @torus said:

" I used to have a 20" 1680x1050 monitor. When I upgraded to a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, it was heaven. Lets be honest, you are not spending the majority of your time on the PC gaming (probably). Having 5 different windows open and working in all of them is for the win :D. "

OMG, duder! I have such a boner right now!

I just checked the Nvidia website and found this -

Now supporting full HD 1080p clarity with ACER GD245HQ and GD235HZ LCDs.

Fuck yeah! Now to figure out which is out and which to buy :/
    Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chyro

I have researched Nvidia 3D quite a bit.  Yes a 1920x1080 monitor is going to look better then 1680x1050.  But Nvidia 3d also taxes your system.  With just a 260, I would go with the 1680x1050 monitor.  As with the 1080 you will really be pushing the limits of your video card with 3D.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Yukoei
    @Chyro said:
    " I have researched Nvidia 3D quite a bit.  Yes a 1920x1080 monitor is going to look better then 1680x1050.  But Nvidia 3d also taxes your system.  With just a 260, I would go with the 1680x1050 monitor.  As with the 1080 you will really be pushing the limits of your video card with 3D. "
    Yeah, but when I upgrade to the Nvidia Fermi card then ill regret wasting my moneyz!
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Geno
    @Yukoei said:
    " @torus said:

OMG, duder! I have such a boner right now!

I just checked the Nvidia website and found this -

Now supporting full HD 1080p clarity with ACER GD245HQ and GD235HZ LCDs.

Fuck yeah! Now to figure out which is out and which to buy :/ "

Great, that gave me a boner as well. Now what?  

The two look comparable at first glance, though I would wait for availability first to see actual specs. If Fermi is even remotely close to its speculated performance you should be handle pretty much any game at max settings in 3D outside of games like Crysis, Stalker, Cryostasis (the usual suspects). 

As for the mobo, there are only a few boards out with Sata III at the moment, but I wouldn't really say it's necessary considering you don't use SSD's. SATA 2 has a 3Gb/sec bandwidth, which is not saturated at all with conventional HDD's that only go up to 1.5Gb/sec. Even SSD's barely push 2Gb/sec; SATA III will definitely be useful in the future, but for at least the next 2-3 years it's completely unnecessary. By the time SSD's hit a good price point, SATA III boards will be abundant and probably better optimized.   

The one thing to look for right now is USB 3.0, it's significantly faster than 2.0. But if you're like me, and only use your USB for transferring Word documents and some small audio and video files, then that's not really important either. If you're looking to backup materials this is typically something that you do only once or twice a year anyway, and usually something you do overnight or during the day while you're out so the speed difference won't really matter there either.

With that in mind I would go for an EVGA product that has SATA II and USB 2.0. The SATA architecture isn't important and won't be for some time, while USB 3.0 only has marginal benefits for the average user. This comes to mind if you're sticking with Nvidia: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039 
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By essaregee
    @Yukoei: About the mobo, a very good enthusiast level mobo that has awesome overclockability and support was the second x58 mobo; well actually any of the EVGA x58 Classified ones work very well.  
    Basically the regular X58 are no different  than the Asus ones (Well I consider the EVGA to have better support, reliability and build quality). The Classified counterparts are the super enthusiast boards that offer much better overclocking performance. 
    Sure, they might lack the SATA III support of the Asus, but weather that's really important is your call. 

Asus is more mainstream, EVGA is more enthusiast level. 
    Also, the Classifieds will set you back a tad more than the other boards, but as I said, it's up to you. 
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By subject2change

EVGA X58 Motherboard; select which one you want based on what you feel you are gonna need.

Coolermaster V8 Cooler

WD Black 640 for OS
    WD Black 1TB for Storage

USB 3.0 will be out eventually and you just use a PCI-E addon card if it really becomes a necessity which I highly doubt; as most people dont even use Firewire 800 and it is superior to USB2.0.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By essaregee

I'd reccomend the   Zalman CNPS970. (as a cooler) if you want to go air-cooled.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:

" @Yukoei: About the mobo, a very good enthusiast level mobo that has awesome overclockability and support was the second x58 mobo; well actually any of the EVGA x58 Classified ones work very well.  Basically the regular X58 are no different  than the Asus ones (Well I consider the EVGA to have better support, reliability and build quality). The Classified counterparts are the super enthusiast boards that offer much better overclocking performance. Sure, they might lack the SATA III support of the Asus, but weather that's really important is your call.  Asus is more mainstream, EVGA is more enthusiast level. Also, the Classifieds will set you back a tad more than the other boards, but as I said, it's up to you.  "

How is this -

http://www.evga.com/articles/00502/

Please tell me which to get from the series of whether to just stick to another series.
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By essaregee
    @Yukoei:

The P55 are socket 1156, don't you have an i7 920?
    The only i7 support from the P55 boards are for the i7 860 and the i7 870. The clocks are 2.8/2.9 respectively, also they are both pricier than the 1336 socket (the i7 920) at $360 and $650 respectively.

I suggest going for a socket 1336 mobo (X58). The EVGA x58 boards are really good (man I sound like an advertiser).  

EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI EVGA X58 SLI Classified EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA X58 SLI EVGA X58 SLI
    Price
    EVGA Price $499.99
    EVGA Price $419.99
    EVGA Price $239.99
    EVGA Price $269.99
    EVGA Price $299.99
    General Info Remove From Comparison Remove From Comparison Remove From Comparison Remove From Comparison Remove From Comparison
    Part Number170-BL-E762-A1141-BL-E760-A1141-BL-E757-TR132-BL-E758-TR132-BL-E758-A1
    ChipsetIntel X58/ICH10RIntel X58/ICH10RIntel X58/ICH10RIntel X58/ICH10RIntel X58/ICH10R
    CPU SocketSupports Intel Core i7 ProcessorsSupports Intel Core i7 ProcessorsSupports Intel Core i7 ProcessorsSupports Intel Core i7 ProcessorsSupports Intel Core i7 Processors
    SLI ReadyYesYesYesYesYes
    Form FactorXL-ATXEATXATXATXATX
    Dimensions Length: 13.58in - 345mm
    Width: 10.375in � 263.5mm
    Length: 12in � 304.8mm
    Width: 9.6in - 243.6mm
    Length: 12.0in - 304.8mm
    Technical Info     
    Memory Slots6 / 24GB Max6 / 24GB Max6 / 24GB Max6 / 24GB Max6 / 24GB Max
    Memory TypeTriple Channel DDR3Triple Channel DDR3Triple Channel DDR3Triple Channel DDR3Triple Channel DDR3
    Memory SupportDDR3 1600MHz+DDR3 1600MHz+DDR3 1600MHz+DDR3 1600MHz+DDR3 1600MHz+
    FSB Speed133 Mhz QPI133 Mhz QPI133 Mhz QPI133 Mhz QPI133 Mhz QPI
    EIDE11011
    SATA99699
    Floppy

USB Ports12 (USB 2.0 )12 (USB 2.0 )12 (USB 2.0 )12 (USB 2.0 )12 (USB 2.0 )
    AGP Slots00000
    PCI Slots01122
    PCI-E Slots75544
    Integrated LAN2 x 10/100/10002 x 10/100/100010/100/10002 x 10/100/10002 x 10/100/1000
    Integrated Audio8 Channel High Definition8 Channel High Definition8 Channel High Definition8 Channel High Definition8 Channel High Definition
    PDF Link Download Spec PDF Download Spec PDF Download Spec PDF Download Spec PDF Download Spec PDF
    Features     
    Product Features
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • PCI Express® 2.0 / 1.1 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Passive Heatsink
    • On-Board Clear CMOS Button
    • On-Board Power Button with Integrated Power Light
    • On-Board Reset Button with Integrated HDD Activity Light
    • On-Board Diagnostics LED Readout
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • Windows Vista / Windows 7™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support
    • Intel® X58/ICH10R Chipset
    • Intel® Core i3, i5 and i7 Support
    • 10 Phase Digital PWM
    • 300% more gold content in the CPU socket
    • Super-low ESR and ESL film capacitors
    • Delivers up to 600w of CPU Power
    • Supports EVGA's EVbot
    • 4-Way SLI® Support
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Passive Heatsink
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support
    • 10 Phase Digital PWM
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Passive Heatsink
    • 6 - Phase Power Design
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Active Heatsink
    • 8 - Phase Power Design
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Active Heatsink
    • 8 - Phase Power Design
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support

Price
    EVGA Price $499.99
    EVGA Price $419.99
    Backordered
    EVGA Price $239.99
    Backordered
    EVGA Price $269.99
    EVGA Price $299.99

Here, sorry about the "buy now" I just selected the whole thing and posted it here
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:
    " @Yukoei:

The P55 are socket 1156, don't you have an i7 920?
    The only i7 support from the P55 boards are for the i7 860 and the i7 870. The clocks are 2.8/2.9 respectively, also they are both pricier than the 1336 socket (the i7 920) at $360 and $650 respectively.

I suggest going for a socket 1336 mobo (X58). The EVGA x58 boards are really good (man I sound like an advertiser).  

EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI EVGA X58 SLI Classified EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA X58 SLI EVGA X58 SLI
    Price
    EVGA Price $499.99
    EVGA Price $419.99
    EVGA Price $239.99
    EVGA Price $269.99
    EVGA Price $299.99
    General Info Remove From Comparison Remove From Comparison Remove From Comparison Remove From Comparison Remove From Comparison
    Part Number170-BL-E762-A1141-BL-E760-A1141-BL-E757-TR132-BL-E758-TR132-BL-E758-A1
    ChipsetIntel X58/ICH10RIntel X58/ICH10RIntel X58/ICH10RIntel X58/ICH10RIntel X58/ICH10R
    CPU SocketSupports Intel Core i7 ProcessorsSupports Intel Core i7 ProcessorsSupports Intel Core i7 ProcessorsSupports Intel Core i7 ProcessorsSupports Intel Core i7 Processors
    SLI ReadyYesYesYesYesYes
    Form FactorXL-ATXEATXATXATXATX
    Dimensions Length: 13.58in - 345mm
    Technical Info     
    Memory Slots6 / 24GB Max6 / 24GB Max6 / 24GB Max6 / 24GB Max6 / 24GB Max
    Memory TypeTriple Channel DDR3Triple Channel DDR3Triple Channel DDR3Triple Channel DDR3Triple Channel DDR3
    Memory SupportDDR3 1600MHz+DDR3 1600MHz+DDR3 1600MHz+DDR3 1600MHz+DDR3 1600MHz+
    FSB Speed133 Mhz QPI133 Mhz QPI133 Mhz QPI133 Mhz QPI133 Mhz QPI
    EIDE11011
    SATA99699
    Floppy

USB Ports12 (USB 2.0 )12 (USB 2.0 )12 (USB 2.0 )12 (USB 2.0 )12 (USB 2.0 )
    AGP Slots00000
    PCI Slots01122
    PCI-E Slots75544
    Integrated LAN2 x 10/100/10002 x 10/100/100010/100/10002 x 10/100/10002 x 10/100/1000
    Integrated Audio8 Channel High Definition8 Channel High Definition8 Channel High Definition8 Channel High Definition8 Channel High Definition
    PDF Link Download Spec PDF Download Spec PDF Download Spec PDF Download Spec PDF Download Spec PDF
    Features     
    Product Features
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Passive Heatsink
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support
    • 10 Phase Digital PWM
    • Supports EVGA's EVbot
    • 4-Way SLI® Support
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Passive Heatsink
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support
    • 10 Phase Digital PWM
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Passive Heatsink
    • 6 - Phase Power Design
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Active Heatsink
    • 8 - Phase Power Design
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support
    • NVIDIA SLI Technology
    • USB 2.0 Support
    • Serial ATA II
    • Solid Capacitors
    • Active Heatsink
    • 8 - Phase Power Design
    • 2-Way SLI® Support
    • 3-Way SLI® Support
    • Windows XP™ Support
    • DDR3 Support
    • Triple-Channel Support
    • Dual-Channel Support

Price
    EVGA Price $499.99
    EVGA Price $419.99
    Backordered
    EVGA Price $239.99
    Backordered
    EVGA Price $269.99
    EVGA Price $299.99
     Here, sorry about the "buy now" I just selected the whole thing and posted it here "
    Do you mind me asking -

What makes them better than my selected motherboard?

Which do you own?
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By essaregee

I own the 4-way SLI board since I do a lot of graphics/video editing as well as gaming.
    Why I love EVGA more than any other brand is because of their customer support (warranty and replacement), build quality and overclockability.

I have broken numerous EVGA products from experimenting with voltages and etc. and had them replaced at no charge with no problem.
    Also worth mentioning is that they have a lifetime warranty - so 3 years from now it could suddenly 'break' and you get the current gen model.

I've also had much more success overclocking them than any other board (gigabyte, asus, ASUrock). And I have never had any problems with the EVGA board whatsoever.

But as I said earlier, its a mattter of preference. I am just expressing my experience with the EVGA boards.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:

" I own the 4-way SLI board since I do a lot of graphics/video editing as well as gaming. Why I love EVGA more than any other brand is because of their customer support (warranty and replacement), build quality and overclockability.  I have broken numerous EVGA products from experimenting with voltages and etc. and had them replaced at no charge with no problem. Also worth mentioning is that they have a lifetime warranty - so 3 years from now it could suddenly 'break' and you get the current gen model.  I've also had much more success overclocking them than any other board (gigabyte, asus, ASUrock). And I have never had any problems with the EVGA board whatsoever.  But as I said earlier, its a mattter of preference. I am just expressing my experience with the EVGA boards. "

Looks like ill get the EVGA X58 SLI Classified then!

Thanks, and is there anything else you recommend changing on my PC?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Diamond
    @Yukoei said:
    @Chyro said:
    I have researched Nvidia 3D quite a bit.  Yes a 1920x1080 monitor is going to look better then 1680x1050.  But Nvidia 3d also taxes your system.  With just a 260, I would go with the 1680x1050 monitor.  As with the 1080 you will really be pushing the limits of your video card with 3D.
    Yeah, but when I upgrade to the Nvidia Fermi card then ill regret wasting my moneyz!
    Monitor resolution is only useful for people that do a lot of image editing or tons of work in Windows.  You can always up image quality in games, super sampling for example.  It's no problem to make a game look better on a 1680x1050 monitor with any GPU.

Beyond that you really should be looking into aspects of monitor quality beyond resolution.  Too many ignorant people will recommend you get a 1080p monitor, but odds are those people can't even see true 24-bit color on their monitors (because they're running crappy TFTs with 6-bpp color!)
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By essaregee
    @Yukoei: Nope, everything looks solid.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Yukoei
    @essaregee said:
    " @Yukoei: Nope, everything looks solid. "
    Any opinion on the case? which is better the Antec 1200 or HAF 932?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Geno
    @Yukoei said:
    " @essaregee said:
    Any opinion on the case? which is better the Antec 1200 or HAF 932? "
    They are both equally functional as cases, but the Antec 1200 is just much sleeker looking. 
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Yukoei
    @Geno said:

" @Yukoei said:

" @essaregee said:
    Any opinion on the case? which is better the Antec 1200 or HAF 932? "
    They are both equally functional as cases, but the Antec 1200 is just much sleeker looking.  "
    How loud is the Antec compared to the HAF?
    Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wrect

Looks good.  You could probably go bigger on graphics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.