Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Reccomendations on a microphone.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By leburgan

So I'm biting the bullet and getting a really nice pair of headphones. Since they aren't a headset, I'm going to need to get a microphone. There isn't much info out there, so I'm wondering what has worked for you duders. I need something that can sit on my desk and I don't need to touch while I am in a game. Basically something that sits on my desk and I don't need to get close to while I am playing. Any tips?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By korwin

I just used a pretty standard ass plantronics desk mic and it works fine. Really you shouldn't need to spend a whole lot unless your doing some kind of professional audio recording, if you just talking through TS/Vent/Mumble then more or less anything will do and sound fine.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By phampire

It might be an idea to think about buying a webcam, I picked up a logitech c510 for about $35-40 about a year ago, it captures at 720p. It picks up sounds really well (it sits on top of my monitor ) and audio quality is excellent. I use it for skype and gaming.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sbaitso

Depends how deep you want to go, being an audio guy, I use a nice large diaphragm condenser through my interface, but there are certainly more middle tier ways to go. If you are willing to go $100 plus I'd get an AT2020 USB and a mic stand, plus a pop filter. They're similar to the old whiskey media podcast mics(not sure the exact model they used but the same range) and are pretty decent for 100 bucks.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By EnchantedEcho
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I use 360 headset.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By GS_Dan

@EnchantedEcho said:

The Blue Snowball Mic is really good, if your willing to pay $70 for a microphone.

That's what Day9 uses, if the OP has heard of him.

Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Heylook

@Sbaitso said:

Depends how deep you want to go, being an audio guy, I use a nice large diaphragm condenser through my interface, but there are certainly more middle tier ways to go. If you are willing to go $100 plus I'd get an AT2020 USB and a mic stand, plus a pop filter. They're similar to the old whiskey media podcast mics(not sure the exact model they used but the same range) and are pretty decent for 100 bucks.

I second this and I am also an audio guy who worked at a music store for 2 years. AT202 USB + $15 pop filter would suffice. Easy set-up just install drivers and good to go (same as any device). I'm not a huge fan but it's a bit cheap the ART M-ONEU would also be a nice usb mic, both are condenser which basically means it's a rather sensitive mic in terms of pick up. However, this can be a bit of a double edged sword in the sense that it is a sensitive microphone thus susceptible to more feedback if you're monitoring volume is quite loud or if your headphones are semi-open/open back.

Alternatively you could have just gotten a headset as for voice transmission for games is usually compressed unless you're using vent or a third-party app.

Also Blue makes good stuff too. you could also try the samson meteor.

HOPE THIS HELPS BRO

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.