Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Recommend me a 1440p monitor

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Having just upgraded to a 980 Ti graphics card, I feel compelled to replace my 24" 1080p monitor with a 1440p monitor. I have done some searching, but haven't found anything that has really sold me yet. A 1440p monitor with an IPS panel and G-SYNC would be my preference, but I'm open to other options.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Serious question, but is there any reason not to go for a 4k monitor now? It's going to be the same price or less than a 1440p and eventually 4k is going to be the norm.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Is Gsync still rare in anything above 1080p, or larger than 23-24"?

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ragnar_mike

Serious question, but is there any reason not to go for a 4k monitor now? It's going to be the same price or less than a 1440p and eventually 4k is going to be the norm.

Depends on what you use the computer for. A lot of programs have trouble scaling UI to a usable size so if you use things like Photoshop or Autodesk, then all the extra real estate is kind of moot since you can't read the buttons. It doesn't seem like Windows 8 or 10 is gonna fix that any time soon either so if you need to do work in say...the coming year, 4k is kind of out of the question, hence why I picked up an LG 34" ultra wide. 1440p, but with tons more room. But yeah, if you're looking for a gaming monitor, 4k is gorgeous.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sargon

For me, I would prefer not to run SLI graphics cards, and I would feel the need to do that in order to run games in 4k at high settings. A single 980 Ti should be plenty good enough for 1440p though.

gizmo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gizmo88

@sargon said:

Having just upgraded to a 980 Ti graphics card, I feel compelled to replace my 24" 1080p monitor with a 1440p monitor. I have done some searching, but haven't found anything that has really sold me yet. A 1440p monitor with an IPS panel and G-SYNC would be my preference, but I'm open to other options.

Do you prefer image quality or fluid movement?

If you prefer image quality, avoid TN Panels. TN Panels are excellent at delivering high refresh rates like 144hz, at the cost of viewing angles and image quality.

The best panels imo use VA technology. This is a cross between TN and IPS. BenQ comes to mind as a company that currently uses VA technology.

This website does a great job at highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of each tech.

http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/

The problem is, IPS or VA panels are usually more expensive. TN are far more common.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gizmo88 said:
    @sargon said:

If you prefer image quality, avoid TN Panels. TN Panels are excellent at delivering high refresh rates like 144hz, at the cost of viewing angles and image quality.

The best panels imo use VA technology. This is a cross between TN and IPS. BenQ comes to mind as a company that currently uses VA technology.

This is probably confusing if you haven't done any research of the options. Hopefully this website can help you.

My last 2 monitors have been BenQ, with my latest one being the XL2420TX. I have never been thrilled with the viewing angles on that monitor, which has me leaning toward IPS now.

gizmo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gizmo88

@sargon said:
    @gizmo88 said:
    @sargon said:

This is probably confusing if you haven't done any research of the options. Hopefully this website can help you.

My last 2 monitors have been BenQ, with my latest one being the XL2420TX. I have never been thrilled with the viewing angles on that monitor, which has me leaning toward IPS now.

Those are their TN panels, and I agree, they are absolute garbage. VA and IPS are where it's at. Make sure you check the Monitor specs before buying.

Also, there are plenty of reports that GSYNC causes display flickering. I would be in no rush to use that first generation standard. I might wait for a revision.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Look-Reported-G-Sync-Display-Flickering

Avatar image for dannydrinkwater
    DannyDrinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using a Dell U2713HM since last March as a secondary monitor and I've enjoyed it so far. I feel that it may be outdated soon as the refresh rate is only 60HZ and that 4K monitors cost about as much now. Here is the link if you are interested though: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-ADKB

TheEvansHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go on monoprice. They have their branded monitors, which people tend to overlook, at a very reasonable price. The colors on the monitor are the best I've seen thus far, and that's including 1440p Samsung and Dell monitors. Only downside is the Xbox 360 style power brick for the thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Do not buy a 4k monitor. They are still very early and by the end of this year, beginning of next, you're going to see some great monitors at a much lower price. The best 4k monitor I have seen is going to cost you around $1200 which is nuts. You might as well use a 4k TV. Wait till next year if you want that. I was looking for a new monitor and found an great deal on the LG 29UM67. It's 2560x1080 which isn't 1440p but it has amazingly low input latency. It doesn't have GSync though, only Freesync for AMD cards. I have Nvidia so I don't use it. Also, it was $299.99! So look for deals.

Acanofcoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't bother with 4K. There have been good and bad things said about the swift. I've had one since launch and it hasn't missed a beat. Best monitor ever. (and I came from a 27" 1440 IPS display)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The downside with 1440 is that all 1080p content gets smeared out in fullscreen. I recentyl bought one and the qicklooks aint as sharp anymore.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I've been loving my ROG swift since launch, but I also haven't ever used an IPS monitor either. For what it's worth, my next upgrade will be once 4k is able to be run at ultra on a single consumer-grade card.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By zaccheus
    Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
    Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arkade_Kalamity
    bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure why there's so much hate on 4k monitors. I have one. Looks great and I've never had a problem with the UI. You can't always play games at that resolution but it looks incredible whenever you can.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128: Theres no hate but unless you spend $1000+ each year on graphics cards the games will look better on 1440p for you.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bceagles128

@rethla said:

@bceagles128: Theres no hate but unless you spend $1000+ each year on graphics cards the games will look better on 1440p for you.

That's just not true. I mean, sure, if you only play AAA games that were published in the current year. But when I play games that were published a few years ago, I can absolutely play them in 4k. Also, there are even plenty of non AAA level games that have come out in 2015 that don't go anywhere near taxing a quality graphics card anyway, and I can play many of those in 4k too.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128: Yeh sure you can play old and graphicwise light games at 4k but thats not really the main goal if you spend $1600 on a top end graphics card and screen. Hearthstone has slightly sharper fonts and those old games have even more flat and smeared out looking textures.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Corvak

@kidavenger: Even the 980 Ti can't push 4k at 60 frames in many new games. Two of them, perhaps. I think the best bet now is to go 1440p and wait for GPUs that can handily do 4K/60 for under $1000. Sure, you can run some games at 4K, by making sacrifices in visual detail, but personally, i'm not going to spend $2000+ for medium quality :)

While yes, you could run a 4K screen at 1440p, running a monitor at something that isnt native res isn't the best idea as you can end up with blurry pixels - minute flaws might be tolerable, but i'd be less accepting of them when dropping this level of cash on my graphics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.