Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Rig upgrade worth it? FX 8350 to I5 6600k

thevamp25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders was wondering if it worth it to upgrade to an I5 6600K from a FX 8350?

Current rig

Upgraded rig

I want a rig that can play Arma 3, ps2 emulators and VR. Also games at 1080p 144hz at a good frame rate.

Is it worth it to upgrade to this rig?

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OurSin_360

Absolutely, with an 8350 i couldn't get steady 60fps with a 980 sometimes regardless of settings and with a 6600k I haven't been cpu bottlenecked yet. Cpu intensive games like Vermintide for example went from drops to sub 30 fps even on low settings to smooth 60 on close to max. It could be a compination of ddr4 as well but even in things like cinebench it beats out my 8350 in everything except one category which from my understanding is best used for things like 3d rendering software etc.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thevamp25: I was wondering why you chose 2x 1TB WD Blacks. I am guessing you're just parting out your old machine. Since you're going to a totally new platform and need to reinstall Windows anyways (Unless you go the sysprep generalize route.), I'd probably grab a larger SSD, too. Not sure how many emulators aren't multi-threaded, but Dolphin is dual core only and works much better on the intel side.

@hmoney001: I love articles with lots of graphs. Let's me get some sort of gaming fix in at work while looking like I'm doing research!

Interesting that the 6600k was coming ahead of the 6700k in some cases...

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By peacebrother

If you want 144hz, you're gonna need to upgrade. The 8350 will have a lot of trouble maintaining a steady high framerate in newer games. And emulators? You're gonna need go to Intel. The 6600K is great, and a very worthwhile upgrade from an 8350.

thevamp25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: ya one of the 1tb is just a dedicaded back up drive.

And thanks duders for your input. Going to go ahead and get the i5. Hopefully can run Arma abit better now. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.