Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Saving up to buy a PC!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I have been saving up and right now have about 800 dollars saved to get a PC. However I do not know much about the inner workings of a computer. Can anyone help me out in this little spot? What im interested is in soothing I can upgrade later on but still run games easily like Witcher 2. BFBC2 and Deus EX. I really am on a limited budget right now. I do not expect this to be future proof and will upgrade peaces when I have more money.  

A friend of mine has all ready given my a list of parts 

Mother Board 
    Video card 
    Power Source 
    Case 
    HDD 
    SDD x2
    CD/DVD 
    Processor  
    Ram

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Newegg is yo friend. So is posting on facebook that you're looking for computer parts.

Motherboard- I don't know enough to help with the motherboard. I had one sold to me with the assurances it was good, and it was. I don't have any specs for it. 
    video card- there's good deals on worthwhile video cards all the time.  
    Power source- its something I would spend on from the start. Buy one over 650 watts so that you won't have to worry about upgrading it.  I think I got mine for 50-60 bucks though, so they aren't horribly expensive
    Case-since you are on a limited budget, this can wait. School districts often sell their old computers and cases for really cheap, and those cases would work fine. Unless you get a large video card. That's what I used at first, and things fit snugly, but perfectly. Since then, a friend sold me another, pretty darn nice one after he bought a new one himself. 
    HDD- Get a big one now. You'll be saving everything to it. I bought myself a TB a few months ago at Newegg on sale for 60$. Its not terribly fast or anything, but I love it. If you must have a solid state, that's fine I suppose but I don't think they're worth it.  
    CD-DVD- I've got one that apparently worked in a computer 7 years ago. The only time I've used it was to install windows and sim city 4.  
    RAM- I've got two gigs, but you should be fine with one.  

If you manage your cash decently, 800 bucks should be more than enough. Start off small, and If you've got cash left over, so be it. Like I say, splurge on the Power Source and Hard Drive, and you'll probably want to spend big on the motherboard, but I don't know much about that as mentioned above. 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AgentJ said:
    Newegg is yo friend. So is posting on facebook that you're looking for computer parts. Motherboard- I don't know enough to help with the motherboard. I had one sold to me with the assurances it was good, and it was. I don't have any specs for it. video card- there's good deals on worthwhile video cards all the time.  Power source- its something I would spend on from the start. Buy one over 650 watts so that you won't have to worry about upgrading it.  I think I got mine for 50-60 bucks though, so they aren't horribly expensiveCase-since you are on a limited budget, this can wait. School districts often sell their old computers and cases for really cheap, and those cases would work fine. Unless you get a large video card. That's what I used at first, and things fit snugly, but perfectly. Since then, a friend sold me another, pretty darn nice one after he bought a new one himself. HDD- Get a big one now. You'll be saving everything to it. I bought myself a TB a few months ago at Newegg on sale for 60$. Its not terribly fast or anything, but I love it. If you must have a solid state, that's fine I suppose but I don't think they're worth it.  CD-DVD- I've got one that apparently worked in a computer 7 years ago. The only time I've used it was to install windows and sim city 4.  RAM- I've got two gigs, but you should be fine with one.   If you manage your cash decently, 800 bucks should be more than enough. Start off small, and If you've got cash left over, so be it. Like I say, splurge on the Power Source and Hard Drive, and you'll probably want to spend big on the motherboard, but I don't know much about that as mentioned above. 
    And of course ill have to worry about a sceen. Speakers. OS. 
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By scarace360

get 8 gigs of ram thats a great amount for a gaming rig.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Surkov

Why do you need two SSDs? 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @scarace360 said:
    Im trying to stay under 800 bucks right now 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

You really don't need two SSD's... i'd just get a better motherboard + i5 2500k with that money.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Marz said:
    You really don't need two SSD's... i'd just get a better motherboard with that money.
    Can you make a suggestion? 
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@scarace360 said:

Oh my god hahaha.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By scarace360
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@scarace360 said:

Oh my god hahaha.

>_> now im gonna get shitted on.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@scarace360 said:

Oh my god hahaha.

Nah you're not. I just found it personally hilarious considering the OP's situation.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By scarace360
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@scarace360 said:

Oh my god hahaha.

Nah you're not. I just found it personally hilarious considering the OP's situation.
    ya still 8 better than 4.
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#13  Edited By Kidavenger

If you are on a budget, you don't need a SSD at all, it's like putting a cherry on a sundae with no ice cream.

HDD should be 7200rpm.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By bybeach

6 gigs of ram triple channel if the MB supports it. 4 gigs minimum with eye on more. A i5 Cpu, a 560 GPu or next step up if money is there, 600 watts PSU minimum, oh well, basically you got 1/2 of what I would have you spend. Other PPl. may have truly informed alt. suggestions.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By bybeach

And I agree, forget about the SSD. Think WD cavalier black.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Marz
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

@Marz said:

You really don't need two SSD's... i'd just get a better motherboard with that money.
    Can you make a suggestion? 
    yes you can drop 1 ssd and get
     motherboard 134.99 (after mail in rebate, it's only on sale till july 31st)
    i5 2500k $215.99

200 + 188 + 75 =  $463  is how much your spending with your first setup
    99 +  216 + 135 = $451 is how much you'd be spending with my revised setup, sounds a bit better no?
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @AgentJ said:
    Newegg is yo friend. So is posting on facebook that you're looking for computer parts. Motherboard- I don't know enough to help with the motherboard. I had one sold to me with the assurances it was good, and it was. I don't have any specs for it. video card- there's good deals on worthwhile video cards all the time.  Power source- its something I would spend on from the start. Buy one over 650 watts so that you won't have to worry about upgrading it.  I think I got mine for 50-60 bucks though, so they aren't horribly expensiveCase-since you are on a limited budget, this can wait. School districts often sell their old computers and cases for really cheap, and those cases would work fine. Unless you get a large video card. That's what I used at first, and things fit snugly, but perfectly. Since then, a friend sold me another, pretty darn nice one after he bought a new one himself. HDD- Get a big one now. You'll be saving everything to it. I bought myself a TB a few months ago at Newegg on sale for 60$. Its not terribly fast or anything, but I love it. If you must have a solid state, that's fine I suppose but I don't think they're worth it.  CD-DVD- I've got one that apparently worked in a computer 7 years ago. The only time I've used it was to install windows and sim city 4.  RAM- I've got two gigs, but you should be fine with one.   If you manage your cash decently, 800 bucks should be more than enough. Start off small, and If you've got cash left over, so be it. Like I say, splurge on the Power Source and Hard Drive, and you'll probably want to spend big on the motherboard, but I don't know much about that as mentioned above. 
    And of course ill have to worry about a sceen. Speakers. OS. 
    Or you plug the HDMI into a TV. thats what I do. Negates the need for a screen OR speakers. Operating system will be necessary tohugh, and I'm not sure whether XP is a good bet for a gaming rig or not. 7 has been great but if you're trying to save a bit...
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@scarace360 said:

Oh my god hahaha.

RAM trolling never gets old <3
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ajamafalous

I would say drop BOTH SSDs until you've got more money to spend.

As for your HDD, you definitely need a 7200 RPM and not a 5900 RPM. I'd recommend a Western Digital Caviar Black.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By scarace360
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@scarace360 said:

Oh my god hahaha.

man i hate you ahmed.
    Ghooble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghooble

I actually agree with Scarace whether he was trolling or not. I currently have 4gb of RAM and am looking to upgrade soon to 8 once i have a new mobo that supports it. 1gb isn't enough these days, 4gb is the least I would suggest. 
    -Ghooble

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Sadly this will be on hold. Recent money issues have forced me to spend most of my saved money. Thanks for the help. 

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Origina1Penguin

That's too bad. When you do get some money scraped together, consider asking at Tested. The community helped me out a bunch. What is your current PC specifications? You may be able to just upgrade a couple things.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Origina1Penguin said:

That's too bad. When you do get some money scraped together, consider asking at Tested. The community helped me out a bunch. What is your current PC specifications? You may be able to just upgrade a couple things.

Its a 3 year old laptop, Im really upset. It was somthing out of my control and zapped a chunk of my money.  

Maybe ill make a kickstart page lol. 
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Akrid
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Sadly this will be on hold. Recent money issues have forced me to spend most of my saved money. Thanks for the help. 
    Good on ya fer self restraint! Oh so many people in this world would just spend it anyway...

As @Origina1Penguin said, when you get that dough back again mosey on over to Tested and they will hook you up.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360
    @Akrid said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Good on ya fer self restraint! Oh so many people in this world would just spend it anyway...

As @Origina1Penguin said, when you get that dough back again mosey on over to Tested and they will hook you up.
    Tested hooking people up since 1896.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'll contribute $5 to the "Get The_Laughing_Man A New PC Fund." About 300 donations like that and you can make a very nice PC.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Origina1Penguin said:

I'll contribute $5 to the "Get The_Laughing_Man A New PC Fund." About 300 donations like that and you can make a very nice PC.

Lol I could just sit outside" Donate money to buy PC. Will /dance"  

Its real annoying that this happened. Right now Im kinda paranoid to not have under 1k in my bank account (I all ways want enough so I can pay rent full by myself saved just in case) But ya. Its kinda crappy that I woke up one day and a bill had piled up and we had phone and internet shut off without a warning. 
    BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

id recommend a 6000 series card just cause they are more efficient with DX11 so like a 6870

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @BUCK3TM4N said:
    id recommend a 6000 series card just cause they are more efficient with DX11 so like a 6870
    Right now I am putting this all on hold. Ive been cut down to near only 600 bucks. 
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DonPixel

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@scarace360 said:

Oh my god hahaha.

Real mens have 16gig ram !

...at minimum

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DonPixel

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@BUCK3TM4N said:
    Right now I am putting this all on hold. Ive been cut down to near only 600 bucks.

That´s a shame but if helps of something I just bought another PC for my office... no way I´m gona waste my time on facebook with Battlefield 3 out there soon.

Anyway the specs are:

-Intel i5 (cheapest one don´t remember which model)

-Gigabyte mother board (cheap one)

-520 gb western digital

-8 gb ram

-Nvidia gtx 460

-Samsung LED 18"

-600 watt power supply.

I wasted 650 dlls in total.. I already had speakers, keyboard and mouse to spare. In my expirience extra RAM do help a lot.. I´m not quite sure why, but it really seems to help having a little bit to spare.

This setup here runs Bad Company 2 at max specs in 1380x768 at 60+ fps. If you going budget I STRONGLY recomend to have 18" screen. Big resolution always bring big problems and big expenses to PC games

1380x768 seems like a "low" resolution for todays PCs but it is more than twice the amount of pixels you find in a 1080p screen, Needless to say the game looks amazing.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DonPixel said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@BUCK3TM4N said:

That´s a shame but if helps of something I just bought another PC for my office... no way I´m gona waste my time on facebook with Battlefield 3 out there soon.

Anyway the specs are:

-Intel i5 (cheapest one don´t remember which model)

-Gigabyte mother board (cheap one)

-520 gb western digital

-8 gb ram

-Nvidia gtx 460

-Samsung LED 18"

-600 watt power supply.

I wasted 650 dlls in total.. I already had speakers, keyboard and mouse to spare. In my expirience extra RAM do help a lot.. I´m not quite sure why, but it really seems to help having a little bit to spare.

This setup here runs Bad Company 2 at max specs in 1380x768 at 60+ fps. If you going budget I STRONGLY recomend to have 18" screen. Big resolution always bring big problems and big expenses to PC games

1380x768 seems like a "low" resolution for todays PCs but it is more than twice the amount of pixels you find in a 1080p screen, Needless to say the game looks amazing.

Could that set up also run BF3? And maybe the Wticher 2?  

I really only right now have around 600 bucks. 
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scarace360
    @DonPixel said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@scarace360 said:

Oh my god hahaha.

Real mens have 16gig ram !

...at minimum

Real men use 20 gigs ram!
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DonPixel

@The_Laughing_Man: I´m pretty confident that set up works just fine with both games.

As with resolution Player count used to be a performance deal in Battlefield 2. I remember I to spent around 2 or more months playing only in 32 players server when bf2 came out, because full 64 players servers broke my FPS badly.

As a side note: I had the GTX460 already (for reasons long to explain), I include it to make the sum but I already had it. For todays prices you might wana get the Nivida Gtx470 it has a performance boost of arround 15 to 20% over the 460 and it´s like 20 dlls expensier.

I have the 470gtx at home in my main PC and it ran the bf3 alpha at high in 1920x1080 +60fps

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DonPixel said:

@The_Laughing_Man: I´m pretty confident that set up works just fine with both games.

As with resolution Player count used to be a performance deal in Battlefield 2. I remember I to spent around 2 or more months playing only in 32 players server when bf2 came out, because full 64 players servers broke my FPS badly.

As a side note: I had the GTX460 already (for reasons long to explain), I include it to make the sum but I already had it. For todays prices you might wana get the Nivida Gtx470 it has a performance boost of arround 15 to 20% over the 460 and it´s like 20 dlls expensier.

I have the 470gtx at home in my main PC and it ran the bf3 alpha at high in 1920x1080 +60fps

I am gonna try to save up again but right now the 600 is max I have. If you can dig up the specs and where you bought the stuff it would be great. 
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MikkaQ

SDDs are a terrible idea for a sub 800$ computer. You're going to regret not having enough graphical power. Invest more money there. Get a 560ti or 570 even.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.