Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

seeking affirmation before I pull the trigger on this PC build

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By najaf

I have the following a click away from being purchased at the egg. I also have an i7 930 ready to go with it. Are there any problems here? Any suggestions or feedback would be great. 

EDIT: See image below for updated specs

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

i don't see an operating system :)

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By najaf
    @Marz said:
    " i don't see an operating system :) "
    I have an OEM Win7 from my current build. ;-)
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

I've heard of X58 boards not liking those OCZ RAM sticks. Double check that your model works with those. Other than that, you're golden!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

I don't see any problems, Polecat.

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By najaf
    @Driadon said:
    " I've heard of X58 boards not liking those OCZ RAM sticks. Double check that your model works with those. Other than that, you're golden! "
    Thanks. I originally was going with 4 gigs of G.Skill ripjaw. Will that be alright?
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Driadon
    @Najaf said:
    " @Driadon said:
    " I've heard of X58 boards not liking those OCZ RAM sticks. Double check that your model works with those. Other than that, you're golden! "
    Thanks. I originally was going with 4 gigs of G.Skill ripjaw. Will that be alright? "
    (quick note: confirmed

Those G.Skill would work fine, though you'll get much better performance hunting down another triple channel set. Like this one
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change

Go with triple channel like suggested above. The reason why the 1366 is that much better than a 1156 i7 is Triple Channel memory.

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By najaf

Thanks again. I just wish the egg combo'd those with something I actually needed. I suppose I can spring the extra 50 for it. 

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By fwylo

I would say the performance boost from the 5850 to the 5870 isn't worth the 200 dollars.  Just get a 5850 and if you need it crossfireX some shit.  By the time you need it, it would probably end up being the same price if not cheaper.  I picked up the 5850 7 months ago and can run anything on ultra at a suitable framerate.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ch13696

That's a pretty good system right there. I'm the same motherboard except it uses an AMD chipset. The best thing is that whenever I decide to get that 6-core processor, I can. The Intel chipset motherboards I'm not so sure about. Maybe they can. Anyways, do you already have a processor because I don't see it on the list?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Driadon
    @ch13696: He mentioned he has an i7 all ready to be slotted (and I mean that in the dirtiest way possible)
    najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By najaf
    @ch13696 said:

" That's a pretty good system right there. I'm the same motherboard except it uses an AMD chipset. The best thing is that whenever I decide to get that 6-core processor, I can. The Intel chipset motherboards I'm not so sure about. Maybe they can. Anyways, do you already have a processor because I don't see it on the list? "

Yes, I have an Intel i7 930. Picked it up from microcenter for 200 (in store pickup only).  

@fwylo
    said:

" I would say the performance boost from the 5850 to the 5870 isn't worth the 200 dollars.  Just get a 5850 and if you need it crossfireX some shit.  By the time you need it, it would probably end up being the same price if not cheaper.  I picked up the 5850 7 months ago and can run anything on ultra at a suitable framerate. "

Thanks for the tip. I don't have the opportunity to upgrade much and the wife is on board with the 1200 dollar build here. I figure I'd jump in with the 5870 and enjoy the added longevity. 
    Avatar image for jediknight00719
    jediknight00719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By jediknight00719

Looks like a a good system.  I actually got a setup almost exactly like yours (have the same motherboard and CPU) so far its working well.  I'm not sure but i think i have the same memory as you and its working fine (although i'm not sure if its running at 12800 Mb/s i think it is defaulted to 10667 Mb/s).

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By najaf

One last check before I click buy. I swapped the case to the CM692 because it was a combo offer with the G.Skill ram. I threw in the i7 just to avoid confusion here. Am I good to go? 

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.