Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Selling my consoles - Bad idea?

drockus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I recently went back into the world of PC gaming whole hog. For the last 10 years, I had played mostly on 360, Wii and now PS4 and Wii U. Over the last few years, the amount of friends who played console online (first on 360, then PS4) dropped off considerably. The one person I played with consistently now plays on PC as well. My plan, as of now, is to scrap the 360 and the PS4 and keep the Wii U, as there's far less overlap there with the PC. I don't know whether I'm in a PC fervor right now, but I am having a hard time justifying keeping those two consoles, which I am attached to, but really wonder if the $400 (I could finish paying off my GTX970, keyboard, keypad, and mouse) is worth more to me than those consoles. I guess also, in the back of head, I think: maybe some game will come along that will get all my friends playing on console again, like Halo 2 or Bad Company 2. Far-fetched? Lastly, I am still not entirely convinced there's going to be enough good games coming out to justify holding onto the Wii U, but again, it seems the most complimentary to a PC. I know this is a weird one to get others' input on, since it's my personal situation, but just sort of wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation -- what did/would you do?

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BananasFoster

I've regretted selling every console I have ever sold about 5-10 years later. It's stupid, though, because 1)most content is available on the internet or via streaming 2) I have no place to put all that garbage and 3)it's just video games and of no consequence.

Still, I miss having the nostalgia of the plastic that brought me so much joy in my childhood.

But, I actually keep random memorabilia such as my childhood NES zapper and my Xbox Duke controller just to have a piece of it and not the whole thing. maybe that means something to you.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monetarydread

DO NOT SELL YOUR CONSOLES!!!

Nostalgia is a son-of-a-bitch. I remember selling my SNES with Lufia 2, FF 2, FF3, FF: Mystic Quest, Breath of Fire 2, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Ogre Battle, Super Metroid, Act Raiser, The One True Aladdin, Lion King, and about a dozen more games that are less valuable. Even though I don't have my full collection back I have paid over 10x the original selling price to recover everything.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you need to get some money, might as well keep the consoles even if its boxed up

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GERALTITUDE

No one can really answer this question because only time can tell. Who knows what will come out in the future and how you will feel about it, or what opportunity may arise where you want to play an old console. If you're not the sort who usually plays old games (as in for your current consoles and consoles much older than them) than I'd say it's safer for you to sell them than someone who does play old games regulary. Your statement about the Wii U makes me think you don't care for old stuff, because the Virtual Console is more than worth the price of entry in my opinion.

I guess you should weight the value of the 400 dollars (or whatever you get for your 360/PS4) versus the Possibility of the Future. Not an easy task but I guess consider A) your feelings to old games and B) when you think of your entire history with consoles, are their many games you would be sad to have missed? Depending on the number, your decision is safer / riskier as regards your consoles - history tends to repeat itself.

drockus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By drockus

@monetarydread: Don't get me wrong: the NES, SNES, and Genesis are all securely attached to my CRT and aren't going anywhere. Those are not the consoles in question. What do you see coming to PS4 that a nearly-console-friendless person would really want? My PSN friends list is very sad right now, thanks to a lack of birth control. Regarding the 360, I've been downloading cheap PC versions of games I once played on 360, and it's sort of like playing them for the first time again (Skyrim, Vegas 2, X-Com etc.) It's that PS4, more specifically, though. Something tells to wait and see, part of me thinks I should take the money and run. I mean, I'm about $2000 in the hole right now ;-)

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Usually I end up regretting selling my consoles, especially now that I know what they are worth. You should just get the cash by working for some moneys.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not wait until after E3? If you don't see anything you like for consoles, and all of your friends are on PC and that's what's important to you, then go for it. At this point PS4s are only going to become cheaper and maybe by the time something you want comes out, they might have a new model or something. It's not like selling a SNES where getting a new one nowadays is ten times the original selling price.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671

Don't sell consoles.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#10  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I'd wait until E3, and if nothing gets you excited go ahead and sell them. 99% of games on PS4 will come to PC, and the few that don't aren't worth the investment IMO.

drockus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: I didn't even think about waiting until E3. Think I might do that. I do follow your line of reasoning that if I sold my PS4 now, I likely could pick one up later for the same price or cheaper. That's one of the main reasons selling it doesn't scare me that much. The poo-side is that I just renewed PS Plus about a month ago for a 1-year term.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlueFalcon

Seems short sighted to me. Why don't you just earn more money and buy everything you want? Meh... then again I'm a 34 yo Systems Engineer and don't really have a limitation on my entertainment budget. What do I know anymore? I barely remember being a teenager.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.