Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Should I grab Hardware Updates from Windows Update?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

There are two optional hardware updates on the microsoft windows update website. One is for my keyboard (Ideazon Merc human interface something) and the other is for my processor (AMD X2 3.1Ghz). I'm reluctant to grab both, especially the processor one, as I've seen my friend getting plagued by severe problems after downloading what was listed for him. What troubles me even more is the fact that there is no update whatsoever on the AMD site concerning my processor. Only a bunch of utilities are listed. So, what should I do?

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lunarbunny

The CPU driver is probably the "AMD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64)" from this page: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
    If you haven't downloaded it already, the "AMD Dual-Core Optimizer" is important for fixing problems with some games (such as Battlefield 2 where pings might start showing up as negative and you lag like crazy if it's not installed).

As for an answer to your question, I've never had a problem when I decided it was actually important to get hardware updates from Windows Update, but typically the official sites have newer versions.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AuthenticM
    Lunarbunny said:
    "The CPU driver is probably the "AMD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64)" from this page: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
    If you haven't downloaded it already, the "AMD Dual-Core Optimizer" is important for fixing problems with some games (such as Battlefield 2 where pings might start showing up as negative and you lag like crazy if it's not installed).

As for an answer to your question, I've never had a problem when I decided it was actually important to get hardware updates from Windows Update, but typically the official sites have newer versions."
    Thank you. Yes, I've grabbed the optimizer but have not installed it. Should I fear doing so? Is it going to bring some incompatibility issues with some games (even though it's not supposed to) ?
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lunarbunny
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AuthenticM

Do I have to keep the program running? Does it have to start at boot (msconfig) ?

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lunarbunny

Just run the dual-core optimizer once, there aren't any programs that it has to "keep running" to work.

The driver is just a driver, at least as far as I recall (running an Intel C2D now).

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AuthenticM

A start-up called "amd_dc_opt" was installed. Do I really need it enabled?

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lunarbunny

According to a forum post by the Tweakguides site owner:

The amd_dc_opt.exe doesn't actually run as a process. It is a program which seems to execute at startup, combined with the /usepmtimer line in boot.ini, and the AmdTools.sys driver in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory. These use no noticeable background resources since they are very small files, and don't add anything to the process list since they run at startup, like device drivers (e.g. you don't see a process for your main graphics driver file).

I believe that the amd_dc_opt.exe fixes some issues as well, so I'd recommend leaving it enabled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
    deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Don't do it man!

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Bane

I never, ever let Windows Update do anything to my hardware drivers.  I did once or twice in the past and each time it's brought nothing but pain and suffering.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By zeus_gb

Never get driver updates from Windows Update, as they have been known to cause issues.  I always go to the manufacturer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.