Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Steam, XFire, etc...CPU usage?

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I was wondering what programs use the least CPU and memory, while in game?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

In the Task Manager, while running Empire: Total War, I have this for XFire and Steam's overlay:

Xfire: 7,804 K Memory usage, 0% CPU.
    Steam Overlay (GameOverlayUI.exe in Task Manager): 3,724 K, 0% CPU.

I'm too lazy to get a program built specifically for monitoring this stuff, so that's the best you'll get from me.

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB DDR2 RAM.

Edit: While the Steam Overlay may use less RAM, you also have to be running Steam, which uses 51,032 K RAM... and 0% CPU.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r

Steam uses 0% CPU and around 20 MB of RAM.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By darkgoth678

I would say Xfire is lighter than Steam. I was on Voice chat with my friend on Steam and he said if Xfire ate less resources than Steam. 

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Eisen

If you own your games in Steam, then you'll need it open.  There is honestly little to no performance gain you'll have by having both open assuming you have decent a computer with plently of memory to spare.

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@Eisen:  Hmm I might not understand your question, but why would one assume that there would be a performance gain if you had a steam and Xfire like programs open at the same time?

I would assume that a performance gain would occur when they were not open?

I may-be having some trouble in understanding your question or I didn't really make my question clear.

Hope to get it cleared up ^^
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Basically, unless you're playing games with problems with Xfire (Oblivion used to flip shits over Xfire, but I think it was fixed), you can keep it open with zero, or damn close to zero, decrease in performance. Steam is built to be versatile and lightweight, and it hardly effects the performance in anything either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.