Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Thinking of upgrading my monitor, thoughts?

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bobdaman18

Currently i'm rocking a 22in samsung syncmaster with 1680 by 1050 as seen here: 

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=syncmaster+2253bw&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13616548898619954751&ei=3Ds9TID7C8T68Abd-62mBg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAg&os=reviews     

It cost be about $220 two years ago.  I'm looking at upgrading to the following: 

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=VW266H&cid=229435602765922898&ei=Hz49TKDcKZiUwAWzpPCJDg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA&os=reviews     

asus 25.5 in monitor with 1920 x 1200    for $260 

I guess i just want to see if anyone has any thoughts on the monitor i'm looking at?  I mean, its bigger, which is always nice.  But i'd be upset if i got it and it didn't look much better than my current.  It has more pixels and a higher contrast ratio but is the juice worth the squeeze?
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

Countdown until Hitman shows up starts right... now!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

This guy ^^^^ 

I have a similar monitor as your old one and sold it. Your still using the same aspect ratio, so it's going to have the same squarish 16:10 look, however for that resolution, games will look slightly different than what your used to. Overall it seems to have good reviews on newegg and it's a decent price, I say go buy it.  

However here was another option I looked at before, it's only X1080p, not as high in resolution, it's more retangular, which will make it seem like console games for aspect ratio, rather than looking squarish. It's $319 It's a 27" monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236080     

Still for that price, yes get the first one, I think it's quite good, games at X1200 rez looks quite good, that's what I would choose. 

Other options to think about http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-T260-25-5-inch-Monitor/dp/B0019ASAY8 yet the constrast ratio isn't as high. Has a remote and you if you want to watch blue ray or play console games, you can change the aspect ratio, it will add black bars on the top and bottom to create a 1080p picture because it has 1:1 pixel mapping which will try to match the picture instead of distoring it. I mean if you used your old monitor with blue ray or console games, it will look a bit squished on the sides.
    Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @HitmanAgent47:
    Thanks, i actually was looking at the touch of color monitors but they got discontinued so getting a good deal on one is unlikely.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you upgrade to from the syncmaster and how did u sell your old one?  The cost to ship the thing makes it sound like craigslist is gonna be my best bet.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Bobdaman18: I just sold it to one of my relatives. If the touch of color one is discontinued, then asus is probally a good choice. Right now i'm using a 40" toshiba regza 120hz hdtv as my pc display. I think that asus is probally your next best option then, hopefully it does have 1:1 pixel mapping incase you do want to watch blue ray or play console games and it doesn't get distorted. I read some user reviews, they said it does, so that's your best bet.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I too am ready to upgrade, but from a 17" LCD SD monitor to a 24" Full HD LCD and am excited. I say go for a 16:9 ratio if you can, the one Hitman showed would be awesome you could even go smaller (for cheaper) and still be at better than the first one you looked at. 

This is the one I'm getting, it's nice, cheap and as far as inputs go, it's a really good one for me and gaming on PC and 360.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @HitmanAgent47:
    40 inches huh?  Suddenly this really sweet asus doesn't seem as sweet anymore, but thanks for looking it over for me. 

Now i just need to upgrade my video card and processor and i'll be in business.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Bobdaman18: The 40" display is an aquired taste it's not for everyone. Honestly, it cost a grand, maybe that's a bit much for a display, I only did that because I was fustrated that there are always a flaw with every monitor out there. My belif is if they made a perfect monitor, everyone will buy that and business will slow down for the rest of their products. It's just I was fed up with all the small monitors out there, I was trying to find one that's big enough like you. I literally almost looked at every single monitor in the world and I couldn't find one that is big enough or had no flaws.  

Well here is another one, it's only 1080p, however it's 27" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001379&cm_re=samsung_1080_27%22-_-24-001-379-_-Product 

There are other monitors out there called hanspree, or hans G or whatever they call it these days, they make really big monitors, however there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, you would only be able to use it for pc games or viewing web pages. You can easily fit two web pages at this resolution which makes it easy to read for it's size. Some ppl like these, however I don't like their 800:1 static contrast ratio, which is a bit low. However most ppl who buys these likes it. This one is X1200 and 28"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043    
    Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @ShaunassNZ:
    Lol great, now i'm uncertain again.  I'm not a huge fan of 16:9 even though i know its the favored format and the way things are trending.  It looks too narrow to me. 

I think 25 inches is gonna be a good size for me since i use my computer as an all purpose station.  I use it for my pc games, xbox 360 games, watching tv/movies, etc.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By korwin

The Samsung PX2370 is pretty sweet.

However the Acer GD245HQbd is probably the most shiny one you can get you hands on at the moment, pretty pricey though.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By thatguy42

LED backlit?

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @HitmanAgent47:
    27 inches seems like it may be getting bigger than in practical for me and i will be using it for my xbox as well so the lack of 1:1 doesn't sound like what i need. 

I'm not in a huge rush to get a new monitor, i was just thinking of jumping on this since i thought i was getting a really good deal on it.  The biggest drive for me to get a new monitor is i just got an xbox and i wanted something nice to hook it up to.  Plus i always take the chance to upgrade my computer whenever i can.
    Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @thatguy42:
    nah, those seem a bit out of my price range, they look nice tho.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Bobdaman18: Look the asus one imo is perfect for you, you found the right one, it does everything your looking for. That's all i'm saying.  

Also that's sort of why I dislike looking for a pc monitor, it's really tought to find a big enough monitor that can do everything you want with good reviews. However I think you found one that does everything.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @thatguy42 said:
    " LED backlit? "
    This by far the best post on this thread, really informative.
    Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @HitmanAgent47:
    Yeah, thanks again, I'm just really indecisive with this stuff.  You gave me all the information i needed, everyone can get on with their lives and i'll just be sitting here with my mouse hovering over the buy button.
    thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By thatguy42

Fine, fine.  This probably won't be that full of detail, but I guess I'll try to say something of substance.   

I recently bought this  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001380 but it seems like there are newer models out.  My only problem with it is that the edges are glossy, which can be a little distracting

The monitor is extremely bright, it makes the screen on a non-LED backlit screen I have look extremely dull.  If I recall correctly these types of screens run with less power and are brighter (since this is not a laptop though, power consumption is probably not that much of an issue).  On another note, if you are going greater than 23" you should think about getting a higher resolution than 1920x1080.  My preferred monitor brands (from experience) are Dell and Samsung.  

Edit: seems like you made up your mind so you can disregard this post I suppose.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @thatguy42: I just want to make a comment. I belive that 23" displays since it's slightly wider is not that tall. Compared to his 22" samsung display, it's going to be around the same height, just a few inches wider. He's not going to really notice the difference and it's not much of an upgrade compared to a 25" lcd at X1200 rez since that monitor's resolution is alot higher. I mean I can also find very competitive LED monitors for a good price too like this one, however he wants a bigger monitor. It's still good advice though and your right, dell makes good monitors too, they are highly regarded. 16:9 aspect ratio monitors aren't that tall, which will affect reading webpages until the display is bigger. 24" and up at X1200 is taller and more squarish which is great for text and gaming.

Here is a very popular led monitor, however it's not really that big. Yes leds do have a higher contrast ratio for sure, it's brighter where it needs to be and darker where it needs to be too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075&cm_re=asus_led-_-24-236-075-_-Product    
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Bobdaman18 said:
    " @HitmanAgent47: 27 inches seems like it may be getting bigger than in practical for me and i will be using it for my xbox as well so the lack of 1:1 doesn't sound like what i need.  "
    Why exactly would you need 1:1 for your xbox, anyway?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @SlasherMan: Well if you don't, console games are 16:9, not 16:10 aspect ratio, games will look slightly taller than it should trying to fill that monitor. With 1:1 pixel mapping, they will at least add a black bar on top and bottom and turn that into a 1080p monitor for 720p games that are 16:9 aspect ratio. Unless you don't mind how tall and skinny everyone will look. I mean 1920X1200, 1920X1080p, one is taller of course which will stretch up console games and blu ray movies.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SlasherMan
    @HitmanAgent47: I figured that's what he would have said, so why go 16:10 in the first place?
    If you're buying a new monitor, you may as well go 16:9 since everything else is heading in that direction. It seems to me that 16:9 is also becoming more popular for PC monitors than 16:10.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @SlasherMan: Well I suppose you get the advantage of pc games and web browsing at X1200. It does look different because I think he wants to make sure it looks different than his X1050 monitor. Also if he has to play console games, or watch blu ray, it will look normal at least with that monitor. It will work as both a X1200 and 1080p monitor with black bars on the top and bottom. Really that's like getting a 16:10 and a 16:9 monitor all in one. It's a good deal imo.
    Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bobdaman18

Well after all the support for the original monitor i hesitated too long and missed the deal.  Out of frustration I just went on tigerdirect and just ordered this: 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?afsrc=1&EdpNo=4948341&Sku=S203-2570&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-jaNjR.YFpgWxZfoTpO0xBA     

I think its the updated version of the touch of color that Hitman was talking about.  Its 25in and only has 1920x1080 resultion but it seems ok.  Kicking myself for not just jumping on the asus, oh well, its still a step up and i'll finally be able to hook up my xbox 360 properly.  HD fable 2 here i come.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By korwin
    @SlasherMan: So your image isn't stretched vertically.
    MaltaGamer1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MaltaGamer1980

currently have a Benq Full HD 23"  monitor and imo its the perfect desktop size for a PC monitor... 

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @HitmanAgent47: 

Ended up getting the asus, here it is.  Ignore the awkwardness, i haven't made one of these videos before. 

I got it from tigerdirect with no tax and free shipping for $195.  I did a dead pixel test and i couldn't find any so i'm happy.  Next i'm going to get a gtx 460 1gb to handle the higher resolution. 

Replied to u hitman just to run by the graphics card choice.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Bobdaman18: Ignore what I replied before, I just realised you bought the X1200 rez monitor, not the 1080p samsung display. Have you tried a pc game on it yet? anything modern? A console, or a blu ray movie? I guess having a higher rez monitor is going to slow down the frames a bit for pc gaming, the gtx460 1 gb is an excellent choice if you think it's necessary for a new videocard. It's the best value for your money these days imo. I suppose it's one of those things you have to factor in, which is X1200 rez takes more power to run compared to a 1080p display.

I was doing some research and there is 1:1 pixel matching, however at 720p it might not work well with the ps3, however it's normal on the xbox360 if you set it to 1080p if you want to try that route. The aspect ratio is different, it's a 16:10 monitor, so it might be more squarish than a rectangular picture. If your happy with the monitor, then I suppose it's the right choice.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I'm not kidding but that is a very similar Samsung monitor that I have (SyncMaster 2053BW) and my cousin has that Asus monitor and it is stunning. So I say upgrade, it's worth the money.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Why you shouldn't have gotten that monitor:

Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch0.287 mm

I would have gone with the asus' monitors that have the .26 PPI or the samsung LED PX2370
    Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bobdaman18

Well i just ordered a gtx 460 1gb, my games haven't really been running slow or anything but i'm in an upgrading mood and it seems a good bang for buck at $215. 

I'm not sure if i'm going to keep this monitor or not, it may be a bit too big for my needs.  Only game i've played so far is lead and gold which looked crazy good.  Haven't tried hooking up the xbox because i don't have an hdmi cable yet (thought the monitor came with one).

Also, i have no idea what dot ditch/ pixel pitch means.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Ignore the dot pitch, it just means the size of the pixels and if it doesn't look pixely, then it's not going to affect you. Your going to refund the monitor? Honestly give it a week, you'll get used to it. The novelty of having a bigger display wears off in a week. I mean honestly i'm using a much bigger display and I don't find it that big. Most ppl would like to have a slighty bigger display monitor and you also have higher resolution than X1080p. Not sure what your complaint is about.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bobdaman18

I dunno, so many factors when it comes to monitors, not sure if its a good upgrade from my previous monitor.  It might just be since its so big but if i stand up or slouch i can see the colors change a bit.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The resolution is different from your last monitor, the changing colors is viewing angles, it changes on the side too. It's your choice, your old monitor can't do X1080p at all and the resolution is lower for pc games. You can't use a console with your old monitor without it looking funny. It's more than having a bigger monitor, your also getting a higher resolution. Maybe you should try out more stuff on it because X1200 pc games looks good. If you only saw one game, you can't really see the difference.  

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Maybe your having buyers remorse, here is what you lose from refunding it. It's your money, I still belive you made the right choice with that monitor and your throwing away all these features.

-You lose the ability to play games at X1200 rez if you upgrade your videocard.  
    -you lose the ability to view 1080p blu ray or high definition movies because your old monitor will cut off your screen at a point 
    -you lose the ability to also use it with a console because X1050 isn't compatible with your old monitor 
    -you lose the ability to own a bigger display  

Here was what you gained  
    -great monitor to use with your gtx460 1gb unlike your other monitor
    -X1200 rez games 
    -bigger display which is good with X1200 rez 
    -fit more within your browser 
    -compatible with X1080p stuff like blu ray movies
    -can be used with a console set at 1080p 
    -is compatible as a X1080, X1200 rez monitor 
    -2ms fast response time

screenshot of a game

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2188/daorigins.jpg   

details of a blu ray movie. 

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7992/vlcsnap2010042500h19m44.png     

Or else simply plug in both displays, I think you can use two monitors, not sure about the difference is resoluition, I haven't done it before. Also you need to try more games, or else your not getting the full benefits. If you don't play games, then what use is a gtx460 going to be? Don't say none of us helped you here pick out a good display because we did, giving you all these benefits you seem to not notice.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bobdaman18

I did some more gaming on it and yeah, its waaaaay better than my old monitor.  My problem with computer parts is i always feel conflicted between whether i spent too much money and over bought or didn't spend enough and got something already outdated.  It probably has to do with how varied the opinion on what an appropriate computer spec is.  I just told my gf that i spent $200 on a monitor and she thinks im insane, but at the same time i'm getting posts here from people giving me a hard time that i didn't go for an led or better pixel pitch. 

I'm definetely not saying that no one helped me, i got a lot of good advice (mostly from hitman but thats to be expected), the initial shock of the size of the monitor is wearing off, and its growing on me, but i always have a hard time dealing with knowing that for a hundred or two more i could have got something even better.   

But yeah, there could be worse things in life than having a 26in monitor, thanks again everyone.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HitmanAgent47

LED monitors does have better contrast ratio, meaning the darker stuff is dark and the brighter stuff is bright. However you don't get alot of size with LED monitors, it's always a 23" or 24" monitor at most. It would be the same height as your old 22" monitor or less, except slightly wider. Also if you spent an extra $200 on it, all your going to get is a 27" lcd monitor. There really isn't much of a choice with monitors, with that price, you might as well just put in an extra hundred and use a hdtv as a monitor like I did. I mean I spent a grand on my display. Don't worry about pixel pitch, if you can't see the pixels, or moving a feet back makes those pixels disapear, then who cares about pixel pitch. Monitors usually has small enough pixels anyways. Overall I think you made a good choice, it's about the right size, you have more resolution. I mean I have to do more research to see if there are many X1200 rez LED monitors around. Most of the ones i've looked at before is mostly X1080p. I mean you spent less than $200 on a X1200 monitor, that's a great deal, these things usually gets near $300 for that rez I think. You can invest that extra $200 on a gtx460 instead, you said you didn't need a bigger monitor than this.

I suppose putting $200, you can get a LED 24" monitor, however compared to a X1200 rez 24" monitor this monitor isn't very tall at all. I seen both of them side by side, the 24" X1200 rez which looks more squarish and taller looks about the right size and the X1080p is always too small looking. Go to best buy a take a look, it's not much taller than your 22" monitor that's also squarish. You won't get the resolution of X1200 which is alot of pixels for games, most ppl just plays games at 720p, X1200 means you can see like two webpages not maximized. Also on 1080p monitors using the hdmi cable, the text is really messed up, not sure why. Also it might not be good because it's not very tall for such a small sized monitor for viewing text, it's too retangular at such a small size. I don't have a problem using my display because it's really big. Yeah, my point is your going to be missing certain features like resolution and size if you put more money towards an LED. The colors and contrast is nice, however you can still calibrate your lcd monitor to get more out of it. Games will have that rectangular look of 720p 16:9 aspect ratio, however with a X1200 rez monitor, it's a 16:10 display which scales games quite well. It looks different than other resolutions for your games, it changes the look because you have more pixels. I'm only saying, you only gain colors, you lose size and resolution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.