Very modest laptop

#1 Posted by Trylks (825 posts) -

If I have a laptop with an integrated graphic card that does not support opengl hardware acceleration. Can I play anything besides flash games?

Any flash game you would recommend?

Thank you.

#2 Posted by onarum (1947 posts) -

well, go to www.kongregate.comloads of cool flash games in there.

also you can probably play most of the low end indie 2d games out there, ever played cave story? it's awesome, there's the Nifflas gameswhich are pretty much all great and pretty low end on the graphics department as well, there are a ton of games that you can play.

#3 Posted by Jeust (10344 posts) -
  • Cave Story
  • Unepic
  • Theme Hospital
  • Torchlight
  • Lone Survivor
  • Silent Hill Demake
  • roms
#4 Posted by mekon (269 posts) -

You should be able to, OpenGL is probably not an issue for you but you need to be more specific. What's the make and model of the laptop, and which O/S are you running on it?

#5 Posted by mekon (269 posts) -

Following up on what Jeust and onarum said, there's also:

• Ben There, Dan That!
  • Time Gentleman, Please!
  • Cthulu Saves The World
  • Breath of Death VII
  • Samorost 2
  • Machinarium
  • Fortix 2
  • Mr Robot

Depending upon what modest means, you might get away with a game like Braid which isn't that demanding really.

#6 Posted by Tylea002 (2291 posts) -

The first Torchlight is extremely easy on the machines. II's probably not that bad too.

#7 Edited by onarum (1947 posts) -

@mekon said:

Following up on what Jeust and onarum said, there's also:

• Ben There, Dan That!
  • Time Gentleman, Please!
  • Cthulu Saves The World
  • Breath of Death VII
  • Samorost 2
  • Machinarium
  • Fortix 2
  • Mr Robot

Depending upon what modest means, you might get away with a game like Braid which isn't that demanding really.

Nah, Braid is pretty demanding, I couldn't run it on my old laptop which had a NVIDIA card, well I could run it, at like 10 FPS but I could ;p

All the other games you suggested should be fine though.

#8 Posted by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

Lots of the GOG catalog should run fine, too.

#9 Posted by alternate (2655 posts) -

which chipset is it?

#10 Posted by onarum (1947 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

Lots of the GOG catalog should run fine, too.

A yes, don't know how I didn't mention that, you could play like 80% of GOG's catalog with no problems.

#11 Posted by Trylks (825 posts) -

Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset family. I use windows xp and linux debian stable, dual boot.

I don't think anything as fancy as torchlight will work on my computer, but there are quite a lot recommendations there, so I'll explore them in the following weeks. Some of them should work and look quite fun.

Thank you all for your answers, they are very appreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.