Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Video card help

Darigaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darigaz

Hey there,
    I'm currently using on board video =(
    My 8800gt OC just decided to defecate on me and I am looking for a newer card.
    I have my eye on the 9800GTX, but I had some questions, there is a PNY version and a BFG version of the same card- and I am a bit confused as to which card is better? (more stable, easier install, etc...)
    Is the 9 series even worth it? or go with the newer GTX285 etc for a hundred more bucks? I'm trying to keep it around the 130 Dollar range. 
    But I also need to be able to run Diablo 3 :P
    You can trust I have the rest of my specs ironed out by this point. Any help is greatly appreciated. <3

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CoverlessTech

If you have the PSU to handle the newer cards and they are in your price range then it's always good to get the newest.

And I don't really know if I can trust that you have a PSU that can handle it when you say "and I am a bit confused as to which card is better? (more stable, easier install, etc...)".

However the 9800GTX will be able to play DIablo 3 no problem.

Darigaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Darigaz
    @CoverlessTech: Well, I know which cards are better, but a PNY vs a BFG? I have no way of knowing outside of reviews.
    Darigaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Darigaz
    @Darigaz: Im purchasing a power supply alongside the card, 500w is what im looking at etc...
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By PowerSerj

Apparently BFG has very good return service and a better warranty than PNY. Also, definitely go for the 285 if you can afford to. It's much more powerful than a 9800gtx.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CoverlessTech

I don't think a 500W can handle the 285. Might have to stick with the 9800GTX if that is the case.

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By QuattroRS6

If you want something thats more affordable go with a GTX 260 or a GTX 275..  The 200 series is way better then the 9 series.  Definately get a larger power supply too.  

GTX 275's     
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201305520548%20106792634%201067947241&name=GeForce%20GTX%20275

GTX 260's  
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201305520548%20106792634%201067940781&name=GeForce%20GTX%20260

PSU's: That is 600-700 watt PSU's(i use a 750watt for a GTX 295  
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058%20113142557&name=601%20-%20700W

Hope this might help you out.

hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hamlaser
    @QuattroRS6 said:
    " If you want something thats more affordable go with a GTX 260 or if you can go ahead with the GTX 285.  The 200 series is way better then the 9 series. "
    Agreed. I went from a tits up 8800 ultra to a gtx 260. It's faster than the 8800 ultra, WAY faster than any 9 series and under $200. A 500W power supply should be enough for it.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

Wattage doesn't entierly matter on a video card, sure some have "minimum requirements" however it is the 12v Amps that matter.

Also not sure how your video card is dead on you, but there is an "oven trick" for video cards. Removing the heatsink/fan from the video card, placing the cleaned off graphics card on a sheet of tin foil and placing it in an oven at 400 for 10 minutes will re-solder all the components and essentially fixes a lot of problems people have with artifcating cards.

Just to show you I am not bullshitting you;
     http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1421086
     http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=606658
     http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133795 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

PNY is the last resort, BFG is a good brand, however evga is usually the best. I say go with the gtx285 tbh. It's worth it because the 9800gtx isn't much of an upgrade.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bioderm

Go with BFG I have the 9800 gtx in my pc right now and I run almost everygame that have been released in the past month at max

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.