Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Weird issue with my computer while playing games.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Simplexity

So I got a new GPU in a summer project to upgrade my computer, its a Gainward gtx 560ti, and ever since I installed it when I play some select games after like 3-7 hours play it just crashes I can't move my mouse I can't do anything and the only recourse is to reboot the system.

These select games that crash seem very random and don't strike me as system hogs like World of Warcraft, FEAR3, and all the source games crash, Witcher 2 and Bad Company 2 does not however, which makes no logical sense to me.

What I've tried:

- all drivers up to date.

- Reinstalled windows with a new hard drive.

- Checked the temp on the card and it maxxed out at 72 celsius.

The rest of my system speccs:

Mobo: Nforce 790i

Cpu: Intel Q6600 3,2 ghz quad core.

RAM: 4GB of DDR3 ram don't remember the specifics of it.

PSU: Thermaltake toughpower 850W.

GPU: Gainward Gtx560ti.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Simplexity

Ok I think I found the problem, my motherboard is apparantly running at 86 frickin degrees, anyone know how to reduce the temperature?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Prodstep said:

Ok I think I found the problem, my motherboard is apparantly running at 86 frickin degrees, anyone know how to reduce the temperature?

Have you blown the dust out recently? 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DystopiaX

I have a 560ti and used to have this problem, crashing often accompanied by buzzing sounds. Only difference is it would come back after 5 minutes, I figured out that it was the drivers crashing, so if the blowing air thing doesn't fix your problem try completely deleting your video drivers (look online for how to do this) and reinstall them.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Subjugation

I just keep my tower in my freezer drawer.

Seriously though, your motherboard is at 86 degrees Celsius?

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Prodstep said:

Get a case with better ventilation. My case is porous. It has two large fans sucking cool air directly over my board, video cards, and hard drives and two fans in a push pull configuration on my radiator sucking the warm air out the back of my computer. If you spend enough money to get a somewhat decent video card why would you cheap out on the cooling? It's like dropping a ferrari engine into a gremlin body.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Simplexity

@ShadowSkill11: Weird thing is I don't have that bad cooling I got a fairly big CPU fan and a case with 2 rather huge fans, I have no idea why it is 86 degrees it doesn't even go down when I open the case, starting to suspect that the temp is wrong.

Piririn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Piririn

@Prodstep
    Have you tried stress testing cpu/ram/gpu individually? 
    Can you reproduce the error that way? That might help you narrow it down atleast. 

Programs you can use for this:
    Prime95 for cpu/ram  
    Furmark for gpu 

Edit: Oh and also you could try doing 'memstest' on the ram

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.