Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Weird PC sound problem that I don't even understand!

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rinkalicous

I've got a weird sound problem on my pc that makes seemingly no sense! Everytime I open a program (or in some cases, do somethign within a program, for example, load a new map in Team Fortress 2) a faint fuzzing/static sound comes up through my headphones. The weird thing is, if I open up the generic windows sound cotnrol thing, and either unmute or mute (it doesn't matter which) the Auxilary setting, it fixes itself. I can even remute/reunmute it and it goes away, UNTIL I open another program/load another level and it kicks in again!

I'm normally qutie tech savvy, but I have no idea what's going on!
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Are you using on board sound (motherboard)?

Does it only happen with headphones?

Do you have the headphones plugged into your speakers or into some port on your computer directly (is it a front installed port or on the back?)

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

Static sometimes comes from a loose connection so, assuming you haven't done so already, make sure the connection to the PC is ok and also check along the wire from the headphones to see if it's starting to split anywhere. I know that doesn't really go hand in hand with the symptoms you're describing but I'd check just in case.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By tekmojo

STICKY KEYS! lol jk...u may want to check connections first, may be loose or damaged somehow. How old are your headphones?

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rinkalicous

I'm using a soundcard (sound blasty audigy, I believe? Not totally sure), and the headphones are plugged directly into the card.

I doubt it's the connection, as like I say, doing the weird muting trick temporarily fixes it. I checked anyway, however, and it all seems well and good there.

I'll plug my monitors speakers in in a sec and see if it goes staticy then
    rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rinkalicous

Ok, checked with my monitors speaker and it has the same symptoms. And my headphones/monitor are both pretty damn new.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond

Did this start when you changed monitors?  Is it possible the monitor is sending out interference, possibly when changing screens (such as displaying a white or black screen)?

I guess it could still be a software problem, if you really have an Audigy that is a very old card, I remember having problems in Counterstrike Source with one, but I doubt they'd crop up all of the sudden.

The only other thing I was thinking is interference coming from other parts of your computer and interfering with the output on your card directly.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rinkalicous

Come to think of it, it did start around about when i got my new monitor, but it's far enough away from my soundcard/headphones that I can't imagine it being the cause. Maybe, though.

This would all make so much more sense to me if it wasn't for the fact this is temporarily fixed by a seemingly random action!
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
    Rinkalicous said:
    Come to think of it, it did start around about when i got my new monitor, but it's far enough ... [more]
    I guess I'm asking if you're loading into a screen then alt tab to mute your headphones, or if when you hear the static it only goes away the instant you check or uncheck the box.  If you're certain you hear the static, then just click and the static is instantly gone, I think we can eliminate your monitor interfering, and anything wrong with the headphones themselves.

I suppose that would also eliminate interference inside the computer with the card itself too.

Did you update your sound card drivers recently, or DirectX or run a Windows Update that could have done something like that?
    rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rinkalicous

The static starts when the loading bar gets about halfway in TF2, or when I open up the options. It happens in a lot of other programs as well, but they're the times I really notice. And yeah, the second I check the box it stops.

As for updates, there's not been a sound driver for my card in years, and, as far as I know, windows hasn't updated, but it does tend to do things by itself, so I guess I can't be sure there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.