Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What do you think of these laptops?

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By DanielJW

So as you might remember I lost my laptop to an unknown failure a few days ago. Today it has been brought to my attention that it was a motherboard failure. So here I am, shopping for a new, low-cost laptop. So far I've come across these...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10125563&CMP=BAC-0730_Laptop1&login=undefined&langid=EN

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146580

What do you guys think? I'm generally trying to keep it under or around $600, so if you have suggestions throw them in.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

What do you want the laptop for? Is it just general web browsing, music listening & other basic simple things, or do you plan on doing any gaming or anything like that.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DanielJW
    @MattyFTM: That would probably be useful to know.

I generally just web browse, but I do a lot of video editing with Sony Vegas. Being able to run WoW would be a plus, but it's not a big deal to me if it can't. Basically just for general use like word processing, power point, music, video editing, etc.
    hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hamlaser

I would get anything that doesnt have an intel graphics card if you want to play wow. if you had more money available I would get an ASUS since most come with accidental replacement warantees. if you can push it, get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152073

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DanielJW
    @hamlaser: Yeah I think thats too pricey. If it's really worth it I could probably get it...
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @DanielJW:  Between the two you listed, I would go with the HP from Best Buy. It had a gig more ram and larger hard drive. The 160 gig hard drive on the other one is way too small imo. The 250 gig is a little better at least. I have an HP and I like mine well enough, although mine was about twice the price. The battery life should be a concern though.
    hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hamlaser

this has as a decent video card that is very capable of playing WOW. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152107 good specs. I have the same video card in my ASUS N10, which uses an ATOM and runs WOW. The CPU in this laptop is 3x faster than the atom so you will be able to do a lot. Oh yeah and it has HDMI

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DanielJW
    @JJWeatherman: Yeah I was leaning towards that one, would you have any suggestions for in that price range? Or am I getting close to the best I would expect for under 600?
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By PowerSerj

Don't get anything with integrated Intel graphics if you plan on playing any game in existence.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DanielJW
    @hamlaser said:
    "this has as a decent video card that is very capable of playing WOW. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152107 good specs. I have the same video card in my ASUS N10, which uses an ATOM and runs WOW. The CPU in this laptop is 3x faster than the atom so you will be able to do a lot. Oh yeah and it has HDMI"

That one looks pretty nice, any downfalls? I was starting to warm up to that first one you linked a bit...is there a major difference between the two?
    hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hamlaser

The first one just has a faster processor, video card and 1 more GB of memory. The second one has a bigger screen.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By PowerSerj

The 9600M GT (first laptop) is more than twice as powerful as the 9300M GS (second laptop) in benchmarks.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DanielJW

So springing for that red and black laptop would be worth it? You guys think it'll have a lot of life in it?

hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hamlaser
    @DanielJW: I would go with the first one.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DanielJW

Alright well unless somebody wants to jump in with a $300 wonder machine, I think I've got my laptop.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DanielJW

Oh god more info to take in. All I see on these is the price, hard disk space, and RAM. I'm liking what Chaser is putting up, I really don't know how it compares to the first one though. Oh godddd!

EDIT: Ok heres the plan. See what I can do about the red and black one, fall back to Chaser's Acer, then the MSI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.