Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Where are the good Online games these days?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I mean the last great online FPS I remember was Counter-Strike and I quit playing that after like 10 years because I'm just bored of it and need something new. Everything coming out these days feels like the same old crap I've been playing for years, nothing ever changes. It's like the stale RTS genre that I loved in the 90s... it's esactly the same today and thats why I havn't played them since RA2. The 90s were great man cause the whole 3D thing just came into play and all these new genres were popping up and all these innovation games. In the 00s the story has very much been SAME OLD SHIT. You always get one golden game each year apart from 2005 which truely was the worst year in gaming.  However theres just nothing to keep me addicted anymore where I can play to kill the time each day.  

I used to be addicted to mmorpgs back with Everquest, Planetside, SWG, EVE etc etc. However ever since WoW all we get now is bad WoW clones and everything has been made into easy mode for the latest casual gamer craze. Theres this new thing in mmorpgs where they don't even need to be massive anymore and everything is all instanced up like APB or GW... they aint mmorpgs. I loved the old days because them games were seamless worlds and when you died you felt it and it made you scared of dying. There was true exploration and everything wasn't spoon fed to you. I thought as tech got better mmorpgs would get bigger and be able to do more things with more customization but instead they've become smaller with less of everything. 

Just fucking sick of it... theres nothing good anymore and everything that was once good has been ruined by stupid patches they force on you like TF2 sucks ever since the class updates.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Maybe it's time to give the old online a rest.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By empfeix

Times change man.  I'd say we all have a bit of nostalgia about older games, myself included.  Nothing will ever beat my first FPS (Quake 1), RTS (c&c / starcraft), and MMO (wow) addictions for online play.  I think you are being a bit harsh on the newer online games.  Sometimes though you might have to wait awhile for something really different to come out and sets a new trend. 

Btw I don't think patches ruined TF2.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4  Edited By Crono

You sound like a lost cause, PapaLazarou.  What did you like most in the games you did once enjoy?  Not just what games you liked... but what you liked about them?  You are just looking for a fresh experience in online?  Is that all?

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kblt
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Maybe it's time to give the old online a rest. "
    ...And take up the console version of life?
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    ...And take up the console version of life? "
    It definitely wouldn't hurt...lol
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kblt
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    It definitely wouldn't hurt...lol "
    Yeah, I sure do enjoy playing with aim-assist, high ping when online and left wondering why did that host just frag me when I was dotting him up with bullets, a clunky controller that suits for racing games and sports better. Oh and I also enjoy paying more than I should for my games! I like to also play without mods once I'm done with the main game. Jesus Christ I love the consoles, the messiahs of the gaming industry right now.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    Yeah, I sure do enjoy playing with aim-assist, high ping when online and left wondering why did that host just frag me when I was dotting him up with bullets, a clunky controller that suits for racing games and sports better. Oh and I also enjoy paying more than I should for my games! I like to also play without mods once I'm done with the main game. Jesus Christ I love the consoles, the messiahs of the gaming industry right now. "
    Well isn't that what makes consoles so great? :P
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kblt
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @Kblt said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    Yeah, I sure do enjoy playing with aim-assist, high ping when online and left wondering why did that host just frag me when I was dotting him up with bullets, a clunky controller that suits for racing games and sports better. Oh and I also enjoy paying more than I should for my games! I like to also play without mods once I'm done with the main game. Jesus Christ I love the consoles, the messiahs of the gaming industry right now. "
    Well isn't that what makes consoles so great? :P "
    Who would think messiahs aren't awesome?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @Fragstoff said:
    the answer to every PC-related post is not 'play games on console'.
    For the record, it was the guy with the status message of 'lol i trol u' one post above yours that brought up that point simply in attempts to start a flamewar.
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kblt
    @Diamond said:
    " @Fragstoff said:
    the answer to every PC-related post is not 'play games on console'.
    For the record, it was the guy with the status message of 'lol i trol u' one post above yours that brought up that point simply in attempts to start a flamewar. "
    You just effectively trolled yourself.

And I agree with Fragsoff, console is not an answer to all PC's problems.
    nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nok

I'd say go check out Company of Heroes but unless you have some friends to play against I think it would probably be really hard to get into that game as everyone still playing it online is insanely good. Still it's a really fun RTS even in solo mode and I think its like $20 on Steam.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nok
    @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    LOL sometimes I think we all take our favorite form of entertainment a tad to seriously
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kblt
    @NoK said:
    " @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @Kblt said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    LOL sometimes I think we all take our favorite form of entertainment a tad to seriously "
    Nah, I just enjoy satire.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @Fragstoff said:
    Does his GiantBomb status make my view less correct?
    It makes expressing your views in the case unnecessary, and you got trolled, I guess.
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kblt
    @Diamond said:
    " @Fragstoff said:
    It makes expressing your views in the case unnecessary, and you got trolled, I guess. "
    hurr durr i like to tell people off while i myself havent contributed anything to the discussion at hand durr hurr

hurrrr
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond
    @Kblt said:
    hurr durr i like to tell people off while i myself havent contributed anything to the discussion at hand durr hurr       hurrrr
    I know you do, did you get banned from /v/?
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By beargirl1

edit; oh, just saw what you wrote at the end  

um... Battlefield 2 still has fun multiplayer 

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kblt
    @Diamond said:
    " @Kblt said:
    hurr durr i like to tell people off while i myself havent contributed anything to the discussion at hand durr hurr       hurrrr
    I know you do, did you get banned from /v/? "
    >implying I don't browse /v/ through 7 proxies

No Caption Provided
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By JoelTGM

Where are they?  I don't know.  I play Quake Live (Quake 3), a 10 year old game... you'd think some developer out there would make a decent competitive FPS that felt fresh, but now all we will ever see is COD4 clones.  Agreed on the MMO thing as well, all we ever see are WoW clones but they're all instanced and even more casual than WoW.  I still play online games, but just the kind that you play for a month and put down.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By breadfan

This Thread.
     This Thread.
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Famov

@Kblt said:

The fact that you summarize console gaming with descriptions about online multiplayer first person shooters shows that you have not done nearly enough console gaming to have an informed opinion on what it's all about. Contrary to the opinion of a delusional few, console gaming is in fact not about watered down FPS, RTS, and MMO ports from the PC.

Also, I like how canned that response was and how you were setting up for it a couple of posts earlier, just dying to have an excuse to post it. Congrats.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kblt
    @Famov said:
    "

@Kblt said:

Also, I like how canned that response was and how you were setting up for it a couple of posts earlier, just dying to have an excuse to post it. Congrats.

I should setup it better.

@Fragstoff said:
    " @Kblt said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " @Fragstoff said:
    It makes expressing your views in the case unnecessary, and you got trolled, I guess. "
    hurr durr i like to tell people off while i myself havent contributed anything to the discussion at hand durr hurr       hurrrr "
    Its kind of funny how much you are talking about trolling Diamond, are you some kind of self-hating troll? I apologize if you find my views  'unnecessary' to a discussion you have taken no real part in..... Oh Ye Master of Forum Posting Relevence. "
    How am I self-hating troll?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

Really now? So Empire: Total War is JUST like Red Alert and therefor boring to you? Is that how next year's Napoleon: Total War will be also? I was under the impression the franchise manages to offer quite varied gameplay compared to previous instalments (and other franchises) since they choose to portray varied eras (aside from repeats like Medieval II) that change the dynamics. Is Sins of a Solar Empire just like Red Alert also? I was under the impression it's got quite different gameplay from the average RTS since it throws in 4X gameplay, something you tend to see in turn based form instead. What about the Warhammer 40k titles, perhaps more conventional in appearance but they don't even have base building like the C&C games. It seems you just don't know what you want really. Standard RTS titles are too similar to Red Alert, but the ones that do more are what, not to your liking (as I find it hard to believe a PC gamer hasn't heard of these games)? The same goes for the FPS genre, I fail to see similarities between Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead for example, or the upcoming Naumachia. Maybe if you look through lists like this(yes, not all these turned out good or even already released but it's a decent rough guide) and this you'll realise there are plenty of PC games of any genre, that both try to capture the classic magic or try new things to offer a fresher experience. Heck there are probably even older games you haven't played in favor of the likes of Red Alert and Counter-Strike, maybe try those, something like Red Orchestra for example. Oh, and there's more to gaming than online anyway, maybe try some single player things, or if you've only done competitive try cooperative. And lol @ the easy mode references. Go play Dwarf Fortress or something mister-I-like-the-old-days. There's something for every taste on PC. Find yours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.