Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Where to get a prebuilt PC with a GTX 1080

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrettVandelay

Hey guys, I am looking to get a pre-built gaming machine with a GTX 1080 inside. The release date of the graphics card was yesterday (5/27/2016). Is it too early to be able to find a pre-built machine? If so, when should I expect to be able to purchase one?

Thanks for the help!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I know NCIX has them right now, I don't know what the wait time might be though.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I know it probably won't be a welcome reply, but it is really easier than ever before to build your own pc nowadays. You could save up to a cool $600 - $1000 if you do so (depending where you are / what parts you go for). For example, prebuilt gtx1080 PCs here in Australia start at $2999, whereas I can build a solid 1080 rig for about $2200 if I get only high end parts (eg. 6700k/5820k, and so on).

That said, yeah, smaller places do OK prebuids and depending on stock they are already offering them. It really depends where you are and we'd need to know at least a general locality in order to make recommendations. Here in Australia PC Case Gear is a (comparatively) good place to go, as is MSY. Please don't buy alienware / asus / etc. You're just pissing money down the drain if you do.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You know what's so much easier than building a PC? Upgrading a graphics card. Find something to your liking, make sure it has the right power supply and just swap whatever it comes with with the 1080.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackout62: huge caveat being good power supply, as most of them that come with non-gaming pcs (and even the gaming pcs) are low wattage junk. Also the cases are usually awful and/or too cramped to fit components properly. Proprietary cases are the devil who is also satan.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Blackout62

@ripelivejam: Oh I definitely know that. Just check the measurements on the case when you buy it. Most list the space for the graphics card these days. And again: power supply!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

@blackout62: huge caveat being good power supply, as most of them that come with non-gaming pcs (and even the gaming pcs) are low wattage junk. Also the cases are usually awful and/or too cramped to fit components properly. Proprietary cases are the devil who is also satan.

Agreed. If you're someone who usually buys prebuilds, then you probably aren't really certain what kindof headroom your power supply has and it'll be a bit of a gamble.

If you have a prebuilt that has, say, a 980TI or R9 290/390 in it, then you're good to go since the 1080 uses less power.

Upgrading your graphics card is only a surefire solution if you're abreast of what your computer is actually capable of, and preferably at least know the part number of your PSU to do some investigation before dropping like $700 on a new part.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not 100% sure but it seems like the wait on shipping the cards is a couple weeks so finding a pre-built pc will probably be even longer.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

@oursin_360 said:

I'm not 100% sure but it seems like the wait on shipping the cards is a couple weeks so finding a pre-built pc will probably be even longer.

The 1080s were sold and retail and started shipping already. A lot of consumers already have them.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the input!
    I'm excited about buying a PC, seems like now is not the time to buy.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By asmo917

@brayvonmartin: Friend of the site Gary Whitta has been posting on Twitter that he had ordered. Pre-1080 PC from Origin PC and was able to put it on hold and upgrade it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.