Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Windows 7 tools for monitors with different resolutions

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I run Windows 7, and I just got a 4k monitor. It's neat and all, but if I run it in 4k next to my older 1920x1080 monitor, I get into situations where I basically can't drag any windows from one monitor to the other. Either they're normal on one screen and HUGE on the other, or normal on one screen and TINY on the other. I used the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display window to make the text/icons larger on my 4k screen, but that, in turn, has made everything huge on the smaller monitor.

I know Windows 8 handles this more gracefully, but I'm not looking to "upgrade" just yet. Any tips on software that might be able to make using two monitors like this a bit more feasible? I tried DisplayFusion, but that didn't seem to have any relevant options.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@rorie: I use ultramon which gives you the ability to set up a couple of display profiles for multi monitor use. Heck it even has this nice button up top on the right for your window screen in case you wanted to move the screen to the other monitor quickly without having to drag it over. With the press of a button it keeps the size consistent with different sized monitor resolutions. Give it a whirl there's a 30 day trial period for it.

https://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@i_stay_puft: Hmm, cool, I'll try that out. Hopefully it'll work.

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rorie: I use ultramon which gives you the ability to set up a couple of display profiles for multi monitor use. Heck it even has this nice button up top on the right for your window screen in case you wanted to move the screen to the other monitor quickly without having to drag it over. With the press of a button it keeps the size consistent with different sized monitor resolutions. Give it a whirl there's a 30 day trial period for it.

https://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Display fusion also does all of that. (I am using 2 monitors and a TV and switch profiles a lot for gaming and work)

@rorie not sure if you looked into windows 7 scaling per monitor. You are right 8.1 handles this a bit better but 7 should have some choices.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-a-better-view-in-windows-7-by-adjusting-dpi-scaling/

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

You're a Windows tool.

What?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.