Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Windows boot issue

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jelekeloy

Today I was plugging an old keyboard into my new PC while downloading drivers for said keyboard when I accidentally wiggled the power cord, causing the machine to lose power and shut down.  Upon restarting,  I was presented with System Revovery options.  In the box where my OS should be, I see nothing.  Windows tells me I need to install drivers for my hard disks but the internet tells me that there is no such thing. I'm about to insert my Gigabyte mobo disc and search for the RAID drivers since I have RAID set up for SRT SSD caching.  Is this the right move or do you have another suggestion?

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bioderm

Restart PC insert windows CD and do a recovery?

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jelekeloy
    @Bioderm I'm trying to but it won't let me because I can't select a Windows installation to restore.
    jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jelekeloy

Right now I have nothing to restore Windows to, so can I just install again? Can I just put the Windows 7 disc back in and start up the computer as if I had never done anything or installed an OS?

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jelekeloy
    @rebgav said:

@jelekeloy said:

Right now I have nothing to restore Windows to, so can I just install again? Can I just put the Windows 7 disc back in and start up the computer as if I had never done anything or installed an OS?

Did you try your motherboard drivers? You should probably make sure that the system is recognizing your drives before you do anything else, check the BIOS.

Yes, the system does recognize my drives, but not Windows recovery.
    jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jelekeloy
    @rebgav: It prompted me to install Windows when I put my disc in so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and format/reinstall.  Didn't have a chance to get anything meaningful on there anyways.   
    Thanks for the help.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Is the bios set correctly for the boot order? If not, it won't boot. 

Also maybe you snagged a wire out of the sata port or something for your hardrive.

Try to get to recovery, last known good setting if you can. Windows 7 backs up itself every now and then. There might be a button like esc or something for boot order and it might work, might not. Then again i'm not psychic, but those are some of the things I myself would do.

If all else fails, probally format, but I think it's the bios, it probally thought an overclocked failed and reset the bios, losing the boot order of your ssds.

Briemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Briemis

Tried this twice in 14 years... a sudden power outage can wipe your TOC (table of content) meaning that your harddrive is wiped... just do a reinstall of your Win7 and go from there...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Turambar

If upon restarting, you're lead to the system recovery screen, then the should be nothing wrong with your bios or anything like that.  Just do a reformat and you should be golden.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PatchRowcester

Let us know what happened. Did the reinstall fix the problem?

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By ShadowSkill11

What type of RAID array where you using? If it was RAID 0 you are hosed and should restore from a recent disk image or backup... you do make those right?

thesavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thesavage

Were you doing a software raid setup or a hardware raid? if you did a hardware raid go into the raid bios and make sure it's working correctly. If you did a software raid it sounds like your screwed. But first, what I would do is download ubuntu and examine your hard drives to see if the data is intact. If your really lazy and your running vista or 7 you can use the windows disk to browse your file system easily from the recovery menu. If your using xp I hope you know your dos commands, because you can browse your hard drives that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.