Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Persona 4 Golden has sold 300,000+

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey

Pretty cool to see this game selling well, for a remake of a ps2 game. How much did the og persona 4 sell? IDK. Now bring on Persona 3 HD Persona 5 Sega Atlus.

Also probably JP figures.

No Caption Provided

Also

No Caption Provided

Persona 4 Golden on Sale for $19.99 / $29.99 / U.S. NOT SURE ABOUT OTHER REGIONS.

Even though it's translated from Japanese, US sale too.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

That's probably just counting Japan.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Catherine sold 500k and that was including Japan and the west.

300k seems way too high even for both, but especially for just Japan.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thats great. Now give me more SMT games for home consoles!!

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's cool, but I want P4 Golden on PS3. And more HD remasters of SMT games, because Persona 3 is the only one I've played. By the way, how do the Digital Devil Saga games compare to Persona? Are they worth picking up and digging out the old PS2?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

@bigjeffrey: I think that's even just Japan. The total is closer to 500k for worldwide, with 300k just passed in Japan. Last year they celebrated it passing 260k sales in Japan; so, this new milestone makes sense. Also, as far as I understand it(and it is disputed by some), the original Persona 4 for PS2 sold over 400k worldwide.

If I've misunderstood the sales numbers, someone please correct me, but I do believe that is the case. This certainly seems to be an exceptional success for them.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmehlers said:

That's cool, but I want P4 Golden on PS3. And more HD remasters of SMT games, because Persona 3 is the only one I've played. By the way, how do the Digital Devil Saga games compare to Persona? Are they worth picking up and digging out the old PS2?

The Persona games, particularly 3 and 4, are vastly different beasts from regular SMT games. The latter are much more traditional jrpgs along with a far higher difficulty. Can't quite speak to the quality of Digital Devil Saga, but its the only game I know of where you fight a space train.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zeik

@bmehlers said:

Digital Devil Saga is good, but for different reasons than Persona. Much more dungeon crawly.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

300K is very good for this sort of title. Same goes with the numbers Dragon's Crown did.(Don't look it up on VG-charts. That's a site that's completely based of guessing and rumors, and it highly inaccurate)

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmehlers: The lack of demons and fusing kinda hurts those games, I think, by significantly reducing options in combat. Not bad, but I could never get into them the way I could nocturne or the Devil Summoner games.

As for P4 Golden sales, I hope it sold OK in the west. Given Atlus's new owners, it's pretty important that the most recent games sell enough to justify them continuing to bring the series to as many places as they do.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@towersixteen: P4 Golden is considered the fastest selling Vita game in the US so far; so, I imagine it has done quite well. Atlus seems quite pleased with it. Though, I'm not aware of any solid figures for its total sales so far in the West. Considering Japan has now sold 300k, I would guess the the West has sold a decent amount, as well.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Eventually it will be 300,001 copies, as soon as it has a sale, I'll get me a copy too.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigjeffrey

@seppli said:

Eventually it will be 300,001 copies, as soon as it has a sale, I'll get me a copy too.

It is usually $29.99 right? It's $19.99 right now on PSN.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@towersixteen said:

@bmehlers: The lack of demons and fusing kinda hurts those games, I think, by significantly reducing options in combat. Not bad, but I could never get into them the way I could nocturne or the Devil Summoner games.

The lack of demons has very little direct effect on combat. Any of the 5 characters can learn any skill in the game, so you actually have a lot of freedom to customize them how you wish, especially considering the skills are freely interchangeable outside of combat. The lack of demons companions has its negatives, but combat options isn't really one of them. Technically you actually have more options, since that game introduced combo skills and there's the option to turn into a human and use guns. (Even if they suck 99% of the time.)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

@bigjeffrey said:

@seppli said:

Not on the EU store it isn't. Thanks for the heads-up though.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By ch3burashka

Teddie's Expression could use some work.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is that one for every single Vita?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigjeffrey

@seppli said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@seppli said:

Not on the EU store it isn't. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Yeah it might get updated at some point since this tweet was only tweeted out a couple of hours ago. Keep on the look out.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@towersixteen said:

The lack of demons has very little direct effect on combat. Any of the 5 characters can learn any skill in the game, so you actually have a lot of freedom to customize them how you wish, especially considering the skills are freely interchangeable outside of combat. The lack of demons companions has its negatives, but combat options isn't really one of them. Technically you actually have more options, since that game introduced combo skills and there's the option to turn into a human and use guns. (Even if they suck 99% of the time.)

I'd forgot about the combos, which were nice, but my experiences don't match up with yours with the skills. Sure, they CAN learn every skill...If you want to grind both money and exp. for them(and it would be quite a bit of grind for anything besides the bare basics). More realistically, in a non-100 percent run, your going to send your a-team down certain paths and specialize them, and maybe do some limited stuff on your b-team if you've got the cash. With fusion, your skills, weaknesses, and strengths are much much more fluid, allowing for much more reasonable strategy changes and team reconfiguration.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man, I hope 300kt covered the dev costs because I could go for a Golden version of more Persona games.

So good.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I hope 300kt covered the dev costs because I could go for a Golden version of more Persona games.

So good.

I am pretty sure it did. And no real surprise Persona 4 already was a cult classic. That is why people are so excited about Persona 5. But please not on a handheld....

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23 MattyFTM  Moderator

300K is really great for a game like P4G. Extremely great. There are only around 6 million Vita's out there, which means around 5% of people who own a vita, bought this niche JRPG for it. That's crazy. I know both the Vita and the Persona franchise are pretty popular in Japan, and a lot of the sales will be there, but 5% of Vita owners buying P4G is still very impressive.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I wonder how much it sold in the UK. I think I read somewhere that both Golden and Arena sold pretty poorly here, which is a shame.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

300k is a really good sales number for a handheld title. Other than Pokemon games I'm pretty sure most top flight handheld titles sell in the 6 figure range.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: I think that's even just Japan. The total is closer to 500k for worldwide, with 300k just passed in Japan. Last year they celebrated it passing 260k sales in Japan; so, this new milestone makes sense. Also, as far as I understand it(and it is disputed by some), the original Persona 4 for PS2 sold over 400k worldwide.

If I've misunderstood the sales numbers, someone please correct me, but I do believe that is the case. This certainly seems to be an exceptional success for them.

The only numbers I've been able to find on Persona 4 on PS2 are 820k. Link.

It's VGchartz, so take it how you will, but I would imagine it's not too far off.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bigjeffrey

@sunbrozak said:

I wonder how much it sold in the UK. I think I read somewhere that both Golden and Arena sold pretty poorly here, which is a shame.

Arena got delayed for like decades in the UK right?

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@sunbrozak said:

Arena got delayed for like decades in the UK right?

Pretty much.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Vita mainly for this game!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Darji

@ll_exile_ll said:

@truthtellah said:

It's VGchartz, so take it how you will, but I would imagine it's not too far off.

In NA and Japan it sold like 400K copies.

http://www.destructoid.com/how-persona-4-fared-when-it-comes-to-sales-151145.phtml

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really though, this is one of the more appealing games for the Vita so I'm not really surprised.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@truthtellah said:

http://www.destructoid.com/how-persona-4-fared-when-it-comes-to-sales-151145.phtml

That article is from 2009.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@truthtellah said:

Yes but that is normally like 80 or 90% of life time sales.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@darji said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@darji said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@truthtellah said:

Yes but that is normally like 80 or 90% of life time sales.

That isn't always the case. For games with a short shelf life (franchises with frequent sequels) it is certainly true that most of the sales come in the first few months. However, that article is less than a year after US launch of P4, and there hasn't been a proper entry in the series since. I feel pretty confident that several hundred thousand more copies were sold between then and now.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@animasta said:

@fluxwavez said:

According to Media Create, P4G had sold 230k copies in Japan as of December 2012, so I don't agree.

Also, apparently NA sales are at more than 100k, so I'm not sure why you think it's supposed to be too high when the actual global sales are most likely approximately 400k.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@fluxwavez said:

p4g sold 260k in japan long ago, so I am not sure what this is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.