Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Persona 4 Golden Review Thread

• 51 results
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Metacritic: currently at a 94.

• Destructoid: 10/10"If you're a series fan, there's absolutely no excuse for missing Persona 4 Golden."
    • Gameblog.fr: 10/10"Le RPG des hipsters"
    • ZTGameDomain: 10/10"Needless to say, Persona 4 Golden is a must buy for Vita owners."
    • Machinima: 9/10 – "Persona 4 Golden, however, is no simple port. Apart from shiny new visuals (it looks great on Vita’s wide screen), there’s a significant serving of new content in here, enough to make it essential even to those who have finished the PS2 original."
    • Gamesradar: 4.5/5 – "Whether veteran or spirited beginner, you won't be disappointed."
    • Gaming Nexus: 9.8/10 – "Persona 4 Golden has easily justified the purchase of the Vita. It may be a rerelease of a game from 2008, but with the amount of additional content thrown in, it feels like a fresh new game."
    • Digital Chumps: 9.4 / 10 –"Persona 4 Golden is one of the best games on Vita. That's not so much a commentary on the relative drought of quality software but rather the strength of its systems and unrivaled heart of it characters."
    • Game Informer: 8.5 / 10 –"Newcomers are sure to find plenty to love, while series veterans can revisit fond memories and experience new content."
    • Japanator: 10/10 – "It's golden, baby."

I thought I'd make a thread to compile reviews for Persona 4 Golden, which are looking pretty good so far (even though there are only three listed on Metacritic as of now). Feel free to post other reviews and I'll add them to the OP.

Just one week left until it's finally out!

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I would seriously buy a vita just to play Persona 4 again, but I will wait for a vita price drop.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

So as a college student working part time, I'm pretty damn broke. I'm in the process of listing my PS2 games on eBay. They're practically worthless, but what the fuck am I going to do with them? Play them? Unlikely, most everything I've got are Sony exclusives, and have HD ports out there. Luckily, I've got enough to net me about $200 of petty cash. I'll bum-rush a Best Buy thanksgiving and pick up a Vita bundle.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Tylea002

@FluxWaveZ said:

That one's gotta be made up.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Tylea002 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

The passage following that subtitle talks about how fashion aware the main characters are and how stylish the game is in general.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tylea002

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Tylea002 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

The passage following that subtitle talks about how fashion aware the main characters are and how stylish the game is in general.

Love it.

Though I don't like to think of The Investigation Team as a group of hipsters...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By nightriff

Good start? But I don't trust these sources. I'm obviously getting it and hope that Patrick or Ryan play it cause I would like to hear what they think. Plus the discussion with Jeff and Vinny would be great, Premium Content right there, GB crew talking about Person 4 for 2 hours.....that would be fucking great, I'm going to go watch the ER now.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Nev

Stoked to re-play it.

bbrcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By bbrcher

@Nightriff said:

Good start? But I don't trust these sources. I'm obviously getting it and hope that Patrick or Ryan play it cause I would like to hear what they think. Plus the discussion with Jeff and Vinny would be great, Premium Content right there, GB crew talking about Person 4 for 2 hours.....that would be fucking great, I'm going to go watch the ER now.

Why would you care what they think? Seems like they don't like jrpgs or anime. And, with all the fandom on this site for P4, I'd think they'd take the stance of hating it just to be spiteful like they usually are.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

@Tylea002 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Tylea002 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Love it.

Though I don't like to think of The Investigation Team as a group of hipsters...

Put it on the back of the box.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

The French have an odd definition of hipster.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Willtron

Le RPG des hipsters is one of the greatest taglines of all time.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Flappy

Although I'm not the type to live or die by review scores, this sort of reception has to be a good thing. I consider myself to be a big Atlus fan, so this was a good purchase in my eyes.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Pepsiman

I'm surprised none of the reviews have mentioned this new piece of content, though. It's honestly my favorite part of the whole game!

No Caption Provided
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By laserbolts

Fantastic photoshop haha

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Voxus

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS DAY

dogman795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dogman795

Under the dislikes section of the French one it says "Too wordy, say the haters..." and "I don't understand the mascot"

These are back-of-the-box quotes here people.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only it was available on the PS3. No way am I going to buy a 300 dollar console for just one game.

The Destructoid review is fruity - I think the 350~ dollar price tag will be enough of an excuse for me to miss out on this. Besides, how much more different can it really be from Persona 4?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nightriff

@bbrcher said:

@Nightriff said:

Why would you care what they think? Seems like they don't like jrpgs or anime. And, with all the fandom on this site for P4, I'd think they'd take the stance of hating it just to be spiteful like they usually are.

Have you heard of the Endurance Run.....check it out sometime duder

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ

So fourth review is up on Metacritic, determining the current metascore at 98. I don't really care about metascores, but I feel compelled to keep up with Persona 4 Golden's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I would watch Ryan and Patrick play it if there was some sort of ... gameplay skip feature. Because if they found Chrono Trigger as difficult as they did, my God. Ryan will forget which direction he's going after every turn, Patrick will come up with these really baffling theories about 'what the game is trying to say'.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bocam

@Brodehouse: There is a "Baby" mode that makes the fights so easy you could play on auto and win every time

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By probablytuna

So pumped to finally get a chance to play Persona 4. Looking forward to playing it while watching the first Endurance Run!

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By gla55jAw

I'm getting closer to buying a Vita. Really wish there was a price drop. I don't really want to go out for Black Friday for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Bocam

@Brodehouse: There is a "Baby" mode that makes the fights so easy you could play on auto and win every time

Hrm... I still think they'll get lost.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Shinri

@Nightriff: I can kind of understand why you want to hear their opinions, but they're notorious for disliking everything to come out of Japan in like, the last 10 years. Expect them to be heavily biased against it.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bocam

@Shinri said:

@Nightriff: I can kind of understand why you want to hear their opinions, but they're notorious for disliking everything to come out of Japan in like, the last 10 years. Expect them to be heavily biased against it.

They loved the original version. They also loved Asura's Wrath

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have never played a Persona game, I have always been interested though, and after reading this... Gameblog.fr: 10/10"Le RPG des hipsters"

I will now purchase a Vita and Persona Golden.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Golden is looking... golden!

I actually ended up buying a Vita myself recently. I wanted to play through Revelations: Persona and Persona 2: Innocent Sin (I've already played Persona 3: FES) before Golden's release. Glad I made that decision; looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun with P4 over Thanksgiving.

bbrcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bbrcher

@Nightriff said:

@bbrcher said:

@Nightriff said:

Sorry, balked at the Patrick and Ryan and my brain didn't read the rest. Those two would be worthless to hear from is what I meant. Jeff/Vinny, fine, since they played the whole game and would be able to notice the differences.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nightriff

@bbrcher said:

@Nightriff said:

@bbrcher said:

@Nightriff said:

Sorry, balked at the Patrick and Ryan and my brain didn't read the rest. Those two would be worthless to hear from is what I meant. Jeff/Vinny, fine, since they played the whole game and would be able to notice the differences.

I would still be curious what Ryan and Patrick think about the game since they have never played it. I still think it is one of those games that even if you don't like it, there are parts you will love about it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By toowalrus

@FluxWaveZ: There's a fifth review up, it's GamsRadar, and they gave it a 90. Or rather, they gave it 4.5/5 stars. Half stars? What is this, anarchy!?!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TooWalrus: Haha, going from what's written, it seems that the reviewer played the whole game with an A.I. controlled team.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toowalrus

@FluxWaveZ: You know, when I was playing through FES I honestly didn't mind the A.I. controlled teams. Telling Mitsuru to heal, Akihiko to knock down and Aigis to go into Orgia mode was kinda fun. It was more like you're playing alongside characters, and not just controlling them. I don't think that's how I'll pay P4... but it's a valid way to play (even if it's not, you know, efficient.) At least he mentions that the full player control is in there, I mean, I'd be embarrassed if I just didn't realize it was an option.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TooWalrus: Yeah, it's definitely a valid way to play and I didn't really mind it in P3FES. In fact, I agree with Hashino when he states in an interview that it makes teammates feel more like individuals instead of tools that you use in battle. I'm just amused by the statements in the review since I don't think that's how many people approached Persona 4.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karmosin

@FluxWaveZ said:

@TooWalrus: Yeah, it's definitely a valid way to play and I didn't really mind it in P3FES. In fact, I agree with Hashino when he states in an interview that it makes teammates feel more like individuals instead of tools that you use in battle. I'm just amused by the statements in the review since I don't think that's how many people approached Persona 4.

Though it may also make them seem very dense sometimes :P

Edit: Also, another review http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Persona-4-Golden/Item3740.aspx

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OneManX

It's interesting reading alot of these reviews, it's like they are learning that Persona... is pretty good. And I have to say, I am legitimately interesting in hearing other thoughts in the Borm Crew about Persona 4, outside of just Jeff and Vinny.

bigwhiteyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bigwhiteyeti

@Tylea002 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Tylea002 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Love it.

They all wear glasses, even though none of them need a perscription!

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By spazmaster666

As tempted as I am to go out and buy a Vita just to play a new version of Persona 4 (I sunk well over 300 hours into the original), I don't think I would be able to stand playing a game on that small of a screen for any long period of time.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I think Persona 4 Golden might be the highest rated game that came out this year, according to Metacritic.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jking47

@FluxWaveZ: Just checked, looks like The Walking Dead is ahead of it, but just by 1 point. TWD is 95, P4G is 94

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By toowalrus

@jking47: Do the Polygon reviews eventually appear on Metacirtic? Because it's not up there now, and they gave it another 100%, so that could push a tie. Not that it matters, they're both great games (apparently, I haven't played the walking dead yet.)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@jking47: Yep, that's accurate for the 360 version of the game. It might get lower since there are only seven reviews taken into account for now, but if any game is to surpass P4G, TWD certainly deserves it.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jking47

@TooWalrus: @FluxWaveZ: Yeah, looks like Polygon reviews do go up there, and the P4G one is not up yet, so it could very well surpass/meet TWD score. But hey, either way its awesome. Good games getting the respect they deserve makes me happy.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I need to play TWD at some point - I went from the epic, fantastical Guild Wars 2 to the happy and warm Persona 4 Golden, I dont think I can take the swerve towards dark and horrific Walking Dead.

At least not right now.

But yes, good games getting good scores makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

TohruAdachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TohruAdachi

: Man I watched the gameplay of the first episode and it wasn't that bad,pretty actually good,I can see why it got GOTY,but still waiting for more episodes of the TV Show...

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TohruAdachi: The TV show is pretty unrelated from what I've heard (game is based off the comics, etc, you probably already know this, they've talked about it on the bombcast).

What turned me waaaaaaay off the first episode was the sequence where you're on the ground next to the crashed car and you see a zombie for the first time and you have to aim the gun at him. Oh god, I couldn't stand the way it controlled and just put the whole game aside.

I WILL go back to it. Some day.

TohruAdachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TohruAdachi

: Yeah I'm aware of it like in the comics they were still traveling with a character who already died in the TV show. On the other hand,I thought the game was fairly good aside from the graphics which was still good either way. I'm not sure about the gun part since I haven't played it personally myself,but watching it looked pretty normal.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SilvarusLupus

God dammit, Game Informer. You always have to kill the mood. User rating on there is a 9.75 though (as of time of posting).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.