Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

How many staff members will complete Persona 5 by the end of the year?

• 70 results
    vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By vortextk

That being said, I feel like specific categories in GotY are where the real debates should take place. Persona 5 is a shoe in for best style and best music.

Shoe in? Maybe for style, but even then there will be contenders and arguments. However I'm looking at a heavy resistance from Alex on anything but Nier for best music, as it would be for me.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By pyrodactyl

@vortextk said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

That being said, I feel like specific categories in GotY are where the real debates should take place. Persona 5 is a shoe in for best style and best music.

Shoe in? Maybe for style, but even then there will be contenders and arguments. However I'm looking at a heavy resistance from Alex on anything but Nier for best music, as it would be for me.

I've never heard anything quite like the Persona 5 soundtrack. It's great, it's catchy, it's varied and it's super original. The Nier soundtrack, while good, is very reminiscent of the soundtrack of Nier 1, which was better and more distinctive.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@afabs515 said:
    @darth_navster said:

Outside of Ben and Alex, I doubt anyone else will have finished P5 by the time GotY rolls around. That said, I wouldn't use that fact to discount the game from a top 10 placement. I believe it was the 2012 discussions where Jeff said that Persona 4 Golden was likely the best game of that year despite never playing it for any significant portion of time. Following that line of thought, I can see Jeff supporting the Persona 5 caucus this year in giving it a relatively high list placement.

You're right, but this was a unique case. Persona 4 Golden was just an expansion on Persona 4, which Jeff already loved (I think in that video he describes Persona 4 as one of the greatest experiences with games he's ever had or something similar). Persona 5 is a completely separate game and so different from 4 that there's no way he or anyone else could possibly make that argument without playing through a significant amount of the game and loving it.

Fair point, but I have to imagine that Jeff will put in some time into P5 before the year is up, even if only for a couple of hours. I think with that experience under his belt he might support the game's inclusion into the top 10, especially given his fondness for the previous game.

Also, it's a bit of a long shot, but his wife has shown an interest in JRPGs (i.e. FFX). Perhaps she gets into it and he watches her?

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

like 2 of them

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By TheWildCard

Giant Bomb is not a website that covers or likes many RPGs really. Don't expect it.

Yeah rpgs have a hard time gaining traction with a significant amount of the crew, I'd be surprised if it makes the goty top 10.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:
    @afabs515 said:
    @darth_navster said:

Outside of Ben and Alex, I doubt anyone else will have finished P5 by the time GotY rolls around. That said, I wouldn't use that fact to discount the game from a top 10 placement. I believe it was the 2012 discussions where Jeff said that Persona 4 Golden was likely the best game of that year despite never playing it for any significant portion of time. Following that line of thought, I can see Jeff supporting the Persona 5 caucus this year in giving it a relatively high list placement.

You're right, but this was a unique case. Persona 4 Golden was just an expansion on Persona 4, which Jeff already loved (I think in that video he describes Persona 4 as one of the greatest experiences with games he's ever had or something similar). Persona 5 is a completely separate game and so different from 4 that there's no way he or anyone else could possibly make that argument without playing through a significant amount of the game and loving it.

I've remained spoiler free so I'm not sure how long the game is (the calendar is probably a good gauge), but I've already put in over 110 hours and I still don't have all the party members. It's easy to see how the time commitment would simply stop people from even getting into it. You can probably finish around 5 triple A games that came out this year in the time it will take to finish Persona 5.

It's not really an issue for me as I play Persona games over the course of several months. I feel no need to rush. I'm sure the crew feels the pressure to finish as many games as possible once GOTY discussions get closer. You for sure can't rush Persona 5 and I wouldn't even call 20 hours a significant amount of the game. 20 hours is probably 1 Palace completed.

How do you know you don't have all the party members if you've remained spoiler free? Your claim of playing the game for 110 hours without getting all the party members is also pretty ridiculous. Either you're counting idle time or you've been grinding Mementos for an absurd amount of time when there's really no reason to be doing that, and you're missing out on the actual good parts of the game.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By golguin

@hunkulese said:
    @golguin said:
    @afabs515 said:
    @darth_navster said:

I've remained spoiler free so I'm not sure how long the game is (the calendar is probably a good gauge), but I've already put in over 110 hours and I still don't have all the party members. It's easy to see how the time commitment would simply stop people from even getting into it. You can probably finish around 5 triple A games that came out this year in the time it will take to finish Persona 5.

It's not really an issue for me as I play Persona games over the course of several months. I feel no need to rush. I'm sure the crew feels the pressure to finish as many games as possible once GOTY discussions get closer. You for sure can't rush Persona 5 and I wouldn't even call 20 hours a significant amount of the game. 20 hours is probably 1 Palace completed.

How do you know you don't have all the party members if you've remained spoiler free? Your claim of playing the game for 110 hours without getting all the party members is also pretty ridiculous. Either you're counting idle time or you've been grinding Mementos for an absurd amount of time when there's really no reason to be doing that, and you're missing out on the actual good parts of the game.

Unless the start screen and menu screen for the game is lying I can see all the party members there. Idle time is probably something like 10-15 hours (I left the game on a boss fight for 5 hours because I had somewhere to go). I don't grind Mementos and I'd like to think I'm pretty efficient because last time I was in there I completed 6 requests and cleared 12 new floors in a single game day.

These are my game stats.

Date: 9/27

Playtime: 119:15

Lv: 38 (Everyone's Average Level is 42)

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: Holy crap! My entire playthrough wasn't that long haha

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:
    @darth_navster said:

Fair point, but I have to imagine that Jeff will put in some time into P5 before the year is up, even if only for a couple of hours. I think with that experience under his belt he might support the game's inclusion into the top 10, especially given his fondness for the previous game.

Also, it's a bit of a long shot, but his wife has shown an interest in JRPGs (i.e. FFX). Perhaps she gets into it and he watches her?

Who knows? Anything could happen. Not to be pessimistic, and I haven't been able to listen to Ben talk about his experiences on the Bombcast yet, but I listened to part of this week's Beastcast. Seems like Alex is waiting for character development which IMO never happens, and Vinny seems to not have time/has problems with the translation. I'd be surprised with all the amazing games that have been coming out so far this year if this makes it any higher than 10 at this point, if it makes the list at all. It'll definitely win Best Styyyyyyyyle though - maybe even Best Music.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:
    @hunkulese said:
    @golguin said:
    @afabs515 said:
    @darth_navster said:

Unless the start screen and menu screen for the game is lying I can see all the party members there. Idle time is probably something like 10-15 hours (I left the game on a boss fight for 5 hours because I had somewhere to go). I don't grind Mementos and I'd like to think I'm pretty efficient because last time I was in there I completed 6 requests and cleared 12 new floors in a single game day.

These are my game stats.

If it's accurate, that's an incomprehensibly high playtime. There's not really any way to waste a significant amount of time besides Mementos. Do you have some sort of crazy self-imposed rules like you have to talk to every NPC every time any amount of time passes just in case? Are you writing a guide?

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Question: How many?

Answer: Not enough of them...

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:
    @hunkulese said:
    @golguin said:
    @afabs515 said:
    @darth_navster said:

These are my game stats.

If it's accurate, that's an incomprehensibly high playtime. There's not really any way to waste a significant amount of time besides Mementos. Do you have some sort of crazy self-imposed rules like you have to talk to every NPC every time any amount of time passes just in case? Are you writing a guide?

I'll talk to NPCs once a week to see if anything changes and I do buy up all the SP drinks once a week. I fight every shadow I encounter and I usually talk to every shadow to get as much money from them as I can. This sometimes means that I'll "Hold Up" 2-3 times on a shadow until they die from hitting their weakness. I don't backtrack in dungeons or Mementos. I fuse almost every Persona on the list and always make sure to have the right persona for Confidants.

Other save files say...

Date: 5/23
    Playtime: 42:54
    Lv: 17

Date: 6/26
    Playtime: 64:28
    Lv: 23

Date: 7/18
    Playtime: 79:01
    Lv: 28

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's top 10. The social links are generally better this time around, but the main party dynamic is similer to Persona 3 rather than 4, which is a bad thing.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Honestly, I think the less people that finish it the more likely it is to win something like best style. It has a striking visual style but I feel like it's a bit overdone and almost becomes grating after long enough. Those first few hours are cool and if that is the majority of what the staff has seen they won't have fatigue from spending 70-100 hours with it.

I also agree that it will have a tough time making it in the top 10. There have already been a lot of great games that are more in line with the staff's tastes, with more to come.

drilbey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think what made the crew fall in love with P4 was its specific tone and setting, and P5 deliberately goes in the opposite direction, which is why it's alienated Jeff and Jason.

Me personally, as a millenial in their early 20s, this games story and themes couldn't have come out in a better a time in their life and as well with whats happening in the world at the moment. This game couldn't be a more blatant modern representation of the animosity between the baby boomer and millenial generation, and you can tell how that occasionally rubs them off the wrong way on the bombcast and some of the snark they throw at it.

That, and its a massive game where you can easily get more fatigued playing it than something like Persona 4. I love this game, but I can absolutely see why they have little interest in playing it.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After hearing the podcast this week it sounds like Ben will be the only one to complete the game. I don't think I've ever seen such strong pushback towards the length of a game. I'm currently at 140+ hours and I know I'm going to be bummed once it's all over.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@golguin said:

After hearing the podcast this week it sounds like Ben will be the only one to complete the game. I don't think I've ever seen such strong pushback towards the length of a game. I'm currently at 140+ hours and I know I'm going to be bummed once it's all over.

Alex stated on twitter that he finished it and will talk in depth on the Beastcast.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By soulcake

2 Just 2.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I feel that enough of them will finish that it makes the top 10 of the year, it'll probably be massively undersold. Personally it blows 4 out of the water in every aspect and it's at least top 3 rpg if not top 5 all time game for me. I am hopeful it'll get it's due.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#70  Edited By metalsnakezero

I would hate to see a majority of Giant bomb to not play P5 and at the end of the year be like, well it came out.

Also Brad getting on my nerves for not at least trying the game out for himself. He so high and might on Final Fantasy but so ignorant on other JRPGs.

But whatever, it a game of the year for me not because it what I wanted from it but because it does many smart things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.