Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Oct 11, 2001

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney follows a young attorney as he struggles to find his footing and live up to the legacy his mentor left him. Along the way, he encounters a cast of eccentric characters and tough cases.

Motohide Eshiro On Ace Attorney DSiWare Episodes

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Motohide Eshiro has been speaking to GamesRadar about the possibility of DSi episodic content:

GR: Given the recent WiiWare remake of Ace Attorney and the franchise’s serialized nature, are there any plans for DSi episodes or content in the future? 

ME: Right now we really don’t have any plans for DSiWare going on. Of course if the demand is high enough we’ll have to consider it, but we have to also consider the memory limitations for DSiWare and technical things aside from what the fans want. There’s a lot to think about unfortunately.    

You can read the full interview via the above link. 
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By rallier

Given the format of those games 200 points a episode or the pair would be fair on DSiWare. Plus it is digital distribution so it can just sit there and not sell and not cost anything. I suppose that they could be keeping it off the service for now and will put it up there to promote the series at some point.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " It seems they just want to make as much money as they can selling expensive carts to the large fanbase.There's very little replay value in these games, I'd much rather prefer to have DLC episodes.     "
    I don't know.  The individual cases in Ace Attorney games have always linked together into an overarching narrative.  It wouldn't be the same to release individual cases piecemeal.  Otherwise we might end up with another situation like Case 5 in the original Ace Attorney on DS, which to me just didn't fit with the tone of the rest of the game and actually soured me on the experience.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " It seems they just want to make as much money as they can selling expensive carts to the large fanbase.There's very little replay value in these games, I'd much rather prefer to have DLC episodes.     "
    I don't know.  The individual cases in Ace Attorney games have always linked together into an overarching narrative.  It wouldn't be the same to release individual cases piecemeal.  Otherwise we might end up with another situation like Case 5 in the original Ace Attorney on DS, which to me just didn't fit with the tone of the rest of the game and actually soured me on the experience. "
    ^This is why they don't release it piecemeal. The producer of the Ace Attorney series said that too much goes into a single case that it'd take months more to get each one out the door rather than a collective package since the development behind these titles really do rely on the overarching story. It was on an episode of the Bionic Commando podcast; I'm too lazy to download it again, so I'm just paraphrasing.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I think it can still do that effectively, while also creating a good level of anticipation for each release. I would want to see a new stories with slightly longer cases designed.   His memory excuse is a very lame one, there are after all fully fledged games available on DSi already.   This is a money decision, it makes more sense to continue to sell them on cart, despite the fans cries for episodic games in this series for a long while now.  "
    Most of the DSi games I've seen thus far haven't exactly been what I'd call particularly large or complex.  Dark Void Zero, a platformer, was ultimately only three stages long.  The games I've gotten the most mileage out of on DSiWare have been puzzle games like Dr. Mario Express.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    I don't know.  The individual cases in Ace Attorney games have always linked together into an overarching narrative.  It wouldn't be the same to release individual cases piecemeal.  Otherwise we might end up with another situation like Case 5 in the original Ace Attorney on DS, which to me just didn't fit with the tone of the rest of the game and actually soured me on the experience. "
    ^This is why they don't release it piecemeal. The producer of the Ace Attorney series said that too much goes into a single case that it'd take months more to get each one out the door rather than a collective package since the development behind these titles really do rely on the overarching story. It was on an episode of the Bionic Commando podcast; I'm too lazy to download it again, so I'm just paraphrasing. "
     Well why not create the lot of them before release?  "
    If they finished all of the cases before release, why not just release them together on a game card like they already do?
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Plus, not everyone owns a DSi. I know a lot of people do, but a large segment of the market still has Lites.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Hailinel said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" @Hailinel said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    ^This is why they don't release it piecemeal. The producer of the Ace Attorney series said that too much goes into a single case that it'd take months more to get each one out the door rather than a collective package since the development behind these titles really do rely on the overarching story. It was on an episode of the Bionic Commando podcast; I'm too lazy to download it again, so I'm just paraphrasing. "
    If they finished all of the cases before release, why not just release them together on a game card like they already do? "

To reduce significantly the costs involved with releasing a cart game.  

As I say earlier, I think it will never happen because Capcom know they can sell the carts effectively, to a very eager audience. They  make very good money off the carts and have no intention to stop doing that.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    If they finished all of the cases before release, why not just release them together on a game card like they already do? "
     To reduce significantly the costs involved with releasing a cart game. "
    As Sleepy_Insomniac noted, not everyone has a DSi.  Would you prefer to leave them out?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Hailinel said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" @Hailinel said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
     To reduce significantly the costs involved with releasing a cart game. "
    As Sleepy_Insomniac noted, not everyone has a DSi.  Would you prefer to leave them out? "

No, not straight away, I think the DSi could have it's own series to start with, and once players grow accustomed to it, I would want a full transition to be made.  

I want cheaper games in this series, since the first I've always thought the series would be be better if it arrived in episodic, considerably cheaper form. I don't like paying what we do for the games, I think they're too expensive as they are, given the nature of them. Most people only play them twice at the most, because they have little replay value. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @Linkyshinks: If the individual cases were released episodically, you'd probably just end up paying as much for all of the cases together as you would if you bought a game card with the full set.  Possibly more, depending on the pricing model used.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

The intention of DLC is to reduce coss for both the developers and the consumers. If developers alongside Nintendo cost their games in a way which makes them more expensive than a retail release, well that would be pretty low, especially low in this case coming from Capcom. 

They would have to provide them at a cost which gives players good incentive, good incentive to return also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.