Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pillars of Eternity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian Entertainment's isometric, party-based RPG set in the new fantasy world of Eora.

Pillars of Eternity or Divinity Original Sin

dumptruck05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I need help deciding on which to buy, I know they are both good but what are your opinions on which one is better?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Divinity is better, by a lot.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I would say that you should base your decision on the combat styles of each game. Divinity uses a turn-based system with action points, while Pillars uses a pause-and-plan style of tactics exactly out of old games like Baldur's Gate II. They are fairly similar in style in everything but combat, so this is the most important thing to look at when comparing the two.

Even though I've never played Pillars, I would still give it the edge over Divinity. As someone who really likes the Infinity Engine style of game (Pillars), I just think PoE plays better than Divinity. I never liked its style of action, although it's possible that would have changed if I had given it more time. If you're a fan of old-school games, it's likely you might enjoy Pillars a bit more. If you prefer newer games, Divinity might be more your style. This is a bit of generalization, but it's hard to offer more without any idea of your tastes or preferences.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pillars of Eternity no contest

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Itwastuesday

divinity roolz

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

They're both really good, but I'd hold off on Divinity until they release that "Enhanced Edition" they just announced for this year.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on your favored style of combat. Both are fantastic

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on your gameplay preference since both are quite different in that regard. That being said, Pillars of Eternity definitely has the better writing.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets be clear they are both very good. You should play the one with the combat style you like best.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Pillars. No contest.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divinity felt slow to me and I only played it for like 8 hours. Pillars just kept going for me and I put around 20 hours into it. I wanna play more but I know I'd have clear time, it just sucks you in. Plus the documentary is out now.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Pillars has the better story, Divinity has the more interesting combat IMO.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Pillars of Eternity is way better than Divinity. The combat might be subjective, but the writing and story is miles ahead.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divinity is a bit more open ended and "sandboxy" and the combat is from a diffrent turn based school and that comes down to what you prefer.

For everything else PoE is the better game by far. Better story, writing, characters, worldbuilding, lore, atmosphere etc.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

Pillars by miles and miles.

Both games have very solid combat systems and interesting character progression systems. Tho they are wildly different styles of old school design in terms of type of combat.

However Pillars of Eternity severely pulls ahead in the story department, the characters, the dialogue and the visuals. It's just really well crafted in that regard. It also invokes the old D&D crpg games flawlessly while at the same time coming up with a new and modernized underlying systems, it manages to preserve the style of the old, while benefiting from smart new overall game design that complements not intrudes.

While Divinity:OS has a very strong start in the first area (first thirdish of the game) I find it quickly goes downhill from there. Onece you get past the initial zone, initial character leveling and initial story setup it starts to fall apart in all those regards. The combat is cool yes but when after lvl like 10 (after the first zone ends thereabouts) you've already seen most of the spells/skills the game has to offer, you get jack shit for new abilities, my rogue for example i think got like 1 or 2 new skills from 10 to 18 and they were poop anyway, you just keep employing the exact same tactics over and over that work on everything with room to spare, and combat lost all challenge and appeal for me, this goes hand in hand with the character progression (leveling) system feeling hollow in those later levels. And as the game went on I cared less and less about the main story, never mind the side quests even that weren't so hot either, basically general dulness set in. I was super hyped for Divinity:OS as it was coming out and was a vocal proponent for it in the first week or two, but just became disillusioned with it as time went on. It really does seem like a lot more work was put into the starting zone and early levels that the latter.

There are criticisms I can level against PoE for sure (the keep being the main one), but they are minor in the grand scheme of things, none what I would call "core issues" that impact the overall game in a negative way. The same cannot be said for Divinity:OS. I've enjoyed Pillars through and through, from start to finish, it was a great game.

To be fair Divinity:OS was made on a much smaller budget then Pillars of Eternity and Pillars also had some super heavy hitting names in the field attached to it (the credits for Pillars read like a who is who of ye olde crpg developers). So it's a bit unfair imo asking for Divinity:OS to measure up to PoE.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Both are great, but I personally prefer Divinity to Pillars.

It's just a really successful blend of old and new mechanics, which makes it something special. Also the humour and the combat in that game are just amazing. (If you are interested here's my Divinity review.)

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i preferred Divinity, i found the gameplay to be more responsive and satisfying, i thought Pillars was a bit flat in that sense, a bit too devoted to the old model.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.