Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

New 80gig versus MGS bundle...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've found stores with both in stock and I'll be picking one up today (if they remain in stock by 2:00pm).

First, let me clarify that I have very little interest in owning MGS4 and ZERO interest in backwards compatibility.

Looking for your guys' opinions on this. Which is better on a purely hardware level?

(quick responses would be greatly appreciated as I'll be heading out in a few hours to make my final decision)

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I think the MGS4 80GB system is backwards compatible... You can always trade in MGS4 if you don't like it.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By suneku

The new 80GB is basically the 40GB with an 80GB HD. But interestingly, I was just reading an article before I saw this thread that mentions the new 80GB is more energy efficient then the old 40GB, which could mean it's using the 65nm chip. But Sony hasn't confirmed anything yet. Seeing as how you have no interest in MGS4 or BC (it's possible for them to just make the emu for BC downloadable in the future), if the 65nm chip thing is true, and it's more energy efficient I'd say go for the new one.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss
    suneku said:
    "The new 80GB is basically the 40GB with an 80GB HD. But interestingly, I was just reading an article before I saw this thread that mentions the new 80GB is more energy efficient then the old 40GB, which could mean it's using the 65nm chip. But Sony hasn't confirmed anything yet. Seeing as how you have no interest in MGS4 or BC (it's possible for them to just make the emu for BC downloadable in the future), if the 65nm chip thing is true, and it's more energy efficient I'd say go for the new one."
    Thanks for the input.
    The 65nm chip is my biggest question - I'm currently leaning towards the new 80gig.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

Done.

I've sent my minion (aka wife) out to grab one of the new 80gigs. Should be up, running and hitting Uncharted tonight.

Thanks again for the timely responses.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

well ifyou dont like mgs4 and dont care about BC get the new 80 gb, is very silent and cheaper , and it comes with a DUALSCHOCK 3 controller :P

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
    ProfessorEss said:
    "

Done.

I've sent my minion (aka wife) out to grab one of the new 80gigs. Should be up, running and hitting Uncharted tonight.

"
    Is your wife hot?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss
    Solid_SnakeXx said:
    "ProfessorEss said:

" Is your wife hot?"
    Yes... tho she's super pregnant right now.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By suneku
    ProfessorEss said:
    "

Done.

"
    no problem... but...

>_> why would you send your pregnant wife out to get your PS3?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss
    suneku said:
    >_> why would you send your pregnant wife out to get your PS3?"
    Rofl, guess that looks kinda bad huh?

Seriously tho she's on mat leave now and bored as hell so she's more than happy to run out and grab it for me while I'm at work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.