Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS2 backwards compatibility question (for original 80gig system)

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Kyle

I was hoping someone could clarify an issue regarding the software emulation of PS2 games on the older 80gig models - is the PS3 able to output non-progressive scan PS2 titles in 480p?

I ask because I play my games on computer monitors now, which are progressive scan-only, which means I can't use them to play the majority of my PS2 collection.

If getting an older model 80gb PS3 (which go for about $600 nowadays specifically because of the BC) would fix this problem, I would seriously consider forking over the extra cash. If not, I'll just get a newer model and continue not bothering to plug my PS2 into a real TV as tears stream down my cheeks.

thundergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thundergamer
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PufferFiz
    thundergamer said:
    "

I can't say I have an answer for you sorry. Where did you hear that older 80gb models go for 600$?

"
    i don't know the numbers but the ones with BC go for a lot more.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

I don't have an answer for you (I think it would be yes), but I have never seen the old 80GB go for $600...I think you may be thinking of the 60GB with full BC. I honestly feel blessed to own a 60GB.

thundergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thundergamer
    Kush said:
    "I don't have an answer for you (I think it would be yes), but I have never seen the old 80GB go for $600...I think you may be thinking of the 60GB with full BC. I honestly feel blessed to own a 60GB."

Even though I know that the 60gb ps3 has full BC I don't really care my 80gb has never let me down.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Kyle

Actually, I have seen the older 80gigs going for around 600 cause I've been looking at prices online. the price went up after it got discontinued. But actually I was probably thinking of the price for the MGS4 bundle so the system itself wouldn't be that much, but close enough, if you're talking brand new.

Anyways I finally found an answer through google. Sounds like it does work, so I need to get me one of the BC PS3s.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roushimsx

You really want either the 20 or 60gb if you can swing 'em. Either way, the PS3 will upscale all PS1/PS2 games to at least 480i and then output in whatever resolution your monitor supports (and your PS3 is configured with) if you enable the upscaling option for PS1/PS2 playback.

If/When you play your PS1 games on the PS3, make sure you leave smoothing off. It looks terrible.

edit - Looks like a 60gb moved on eBay today for ~$375/shipped

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By AuthenticM
    roushimsx said:
    If/When you play your PS1 games on the PS3, make sure you leave smoothing off. It looks terrible.
    You mean "on". PS1 and PS2 games look very shitty when smoothing is turned off.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

I believe it tries to scale the games to 1080P. And yes it can scale games to 480P from what I've seen.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Hexpane

Smoothing ruins PS2 games, it looks ok on some PS1 games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.