Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Controller Help

MOOImAPigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MOOImAPigg

Hi, Im a new owner of a PS3, Had it for about a month know, so please dont remind me of probably the most retarded thing ive ever done because i think i already know that.  

So I was playing Dead Space 2 at a part where I have to survive hordes of Necromorphs, then I accidentally Elbow my can of Coca-Cola on my Second Controller and I was also stupid enough to leave my second and only OTHER Controller on the floor at the time. I cleaned it down to a wet cloth, by the time I noticed it was on the controller, it already had alot of sticky residue on it, So i wiped it down, dryed it off with a soft cloth I got in a Computer Screen cleaning kit (not the best choice) and i got some of it on the D-Pad, which now everytime i start up my PS3, Is stuck to the right. It doesent LOOK like its stuck to the right, I can move the D-Pad fine to the left and all, but even though it doesent look it, its stuck to the right. For example, when im at the menu when I sign in, it ALWAYS goes ALL THE WAY to Message Box then it stops. If i move it to the left, It just goes to the left if i hold it down then it goes back to the right when I let go. LONG STORY SHORT>Controllers sort of busted, What do I do?  HALP!! 

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I opened up my controller and finally got the courage to clean it. I did it very carfully and works just like new. Thanks for the advice ppl. I now keep my controllers up on my shelf where there will be no Sodas or other beverages.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By ESREVER

Get a new controller and avoid placing your beverages of choice around your electronics in the future? I'm not sure what else you can do to get it to work.

Wes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wes

Ethically? Buy a new controller or try to clean that one, I'd suggest opening it up and cleaning the d-pad contacts directly.

If ethics aren't your thing you could buy a new controller and then return the busted one in it's place... but that wouldn't be nice.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Kierkegaard

Pray to Cthulu for salvation. Or, just watch some youtube vids of how to take controllers apart--maybe you can clean up the stuck up bit. I'd try that before spending 50 more dollars. 

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Punk1984
    @mooimapigg: It needs to be reset and re-synced to the system.  Use a paper clip to hit the reset button under the controller (it is in a little hole). Then follow the instructions for syncing a controller to your PS3. 
    If that doesn't work you may have fused a contact (good job that is hard to do) The best thing is to then either try and exchange it at a store for a working one or try many many cleanings with isopropyl alcohol.   

To clean with isopropyl alcohol: 
    1. Wet the head of a q-tip with the alcohol (soak that sucker)
    2. rub it on the crease around the d-pad (you want it to get inside the controller)
    3. DO NOT pour alcohol directly in the controller
    4. Turn the controller d-pad side down and let any excess drain out.
    You'll need to do this a lot. My wife spilled a full glass of champaign on my second controller on new year's eve. I didn't find it until the next day. I had to clean it a handful of times to even get it usable and then about once every two weeks from then on. I only stopped cleaning it at the start of March because it is basically in top form again, except one of the triggers sticks when you first use it.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @mooimapigg said:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I"

You sooo totaly got that from Futurama didn't you?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

I guess this issue is solved.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

If you wanna pimp it, put an LED on the PS button so it glows whenever it's on.

Cihan_Tamcelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Works with me.... Once my little sister spilt a cup of coffee on my only good controller while I was playing COD. I tried to wipe it, but when I played COD the gun would point upwards and no matter what it would stay up. I told my dad and he said to put it in the freezer for half an hour. I took it out of the freezer and it was working good as new, and the buttons were working better than before!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.