Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Slim selling 3 to 1 in JAPAN!

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Though the $299 PlayStation 3 Slim was popping up at US retailers during the last week in August, its impact won't be seen until the NPD Group releases its September game-sales data...in October. However, there is already evidence from overseas that the cheaper, thinner, and higher-memory iteration of the console is selling briskly.  

First, UK game-sales data firm Chart-Track has told industry magazine MCV that PlayStation 3 sales have gone up 999 percent for the week of August 31-September 6, the 36th of the year. Though it would not offer specific numbers, the data company, whose official Web site is currently down, did say the PS3 was resoundingly beating its competitors.

"The sales increase is very impressive, making the PS3 the top selling hardware in Week 36," a Chart-Track rep told MCV. "The Xbox 360, Wii, and DS Lite all sold around the same amount last week, [while] the PS3 Slim outsold each of them by a ratio of three-to-one." (Emphasis added.)

Meanwhile, halfway around the world in Japan, the PS3 is selling at levels not seen in years. Research firm Enterbrain revealed via its Famitsu magazine that 150,252 PS3s sold in the four days after its September 3 launch. That brought sales of all models of the PS3 to 150,832 units for the August 31-September 6 week, the biggest one-week total since the console went on sale in November 2006. 

From GS.. woot! now people cant complain about the price anymore and it all fair from now on, its over for microsoft...

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

This really doesn't surprise me.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

Good news, hopefully those sales numbers will last for more than one month. We have seen surges in PS3 sales before that overall didn't do much when the next month you hear the Wii rapes everybody again

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By DrRandle

My question is: Why the hell does it matter? I don't understand... Are you directly profiting from these sales? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's finally selling, and I do hope it keeps up. As I hope all the consoles do well... But please explain to me why this excites you so much, I can't figure it out with any real logic. The only thing I can figure is that you've got some kind of mindless devotion to a company that, more or less, like all corporations, doesn't really give a shit about you.

Also, you are aware that no matter how well that this thing sells, Microsoft is not "over," right? Just... Just curious. 'Cause, you know. You said. And it was kinda dumb.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

This happens everytime a hardware revision is released. Did you see what happened to the charts when the DSi came out? Not to mention that you are saying Microsoft is dead in a region where they already were dead. Christ, I don't mind most fanboys, but STUPID fanboys... 

Edit: The OPs quote doesn't say anything about the DSi. Wonder what the sales numbers compared to it were...

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    "

Though the $299 PlayStation 3 Slim was popping up at US retailers during the last week in August, its impact won't be seen until the NPD Group releases its September game-sales data...in October. However, there is already evidence from overseas that the cheaper, thinner, and higher-memory iteration of the console is selling briskly.  

First, UK game-sales data firm Chart-Track has told industry magazine MCV that PlayStation 3 sales have gone up 999 percent for the week of August 31-September 6, the 36th of the year. Though it would not offer specific numbers, the data company, whose official Web site is currently down, did say the PS3 was resoundingly beating its competitors.

"The sales increase is very impressive, making the PS3 the top selling hardware in Week 36," a Chart-Track rep told MCV. "The Xbox 360, Wii, and DS Lite all sold around the same amount last week, [while] the PS3 Slim outsold each of them by a ratio of three-to-one." (Emphasis added.)

Meanwhile, halfway around the world in Japan, the PS3 is selling at levels not seen in years. Research firm Enterbrain revealed via its Famitsu magazine that 150,252 PS3s sold in the four days after its September 3 launch. That brought sales of all models of the PS3 to 150,832 units for the August 31-September 6 week, the biggest one-week total since the console went on sale in November 2006. 

From GS.. woot! now people cant complain about the price anymore and it all fair from now on, its over for microsoft...

"
    You had me until that. Fanboys FTL.
    dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By dopeman

don't bring this system wars bullshit.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

didn't mean it like that... my bad

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @DrRandle said:
    " My question is: Why the hell does it matter? I don't understand... Are you directly profiting from these sales? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's finally selling, and I do hope it keeps up. As I hope all the consoles do well... But please explain to me why this excites you so much, I can't figure it out with any real logic. The only thing I can figure is that you've got some kind of mindless devotion to a company that, more or less, like all corporations, doesn't really give a shit about you.  Also, you are aware that no matter how well that this thing sells, Microsoft is not "over," right? Just... Just curious. 'Cause, you know. You said. And it was kinda dumb. "
    Well it does kinda matter how a company does considering you invested in their product. If they fail, then there is nothing left to buy for their product. Loyalty to a company because you like what they deliver is important, and if the sales aren't there for the company - then they cannot provide the service to the customer.

But yes it is stupid to say that microsoft is over... this was posted for the wrong reasons.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Burns098356GX

I always thought the PS3 was more popular in Japan than the 360...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

The topic refers to the first week sales of the Slim in Japan, Aug 31-Sep 6. This is what I wrote about it on another website, slightly edited:

Don't forget the Wii got a similar jump to sales just by launching the black color (and Monster Hunter 3), NO price cut. It increased to about 100k sales that week. The PS3 jump appears bigger at 150k but you have to keep in mind that it was selling ABYSMALLY since the Slim's announcement so it has several weekly sales to make up for on top of the expected boost, whereas the Wii was selling as normal prior to the black color's launch. I'm sure it will even out soon enough, the PS3 will gradually go back to 10k weekly sales it got before the announcement of the Slim and the Wii similar to what's seen in these sales, though usually slightly more (20-25k).

Then it's up to the software to cause boosts and constant sales as usual. Oh, this is also 4 tracked days, not a full week. In the Wii's case it wasn't a full week either, the weekly sales for that period only tracked 2 days for the black color's launch, and it was a weekend at that (Aug 1-2).

I'm thinking next week's PS3 sales will show up as 50-70k for the PS3, then less and less until it's back to normal, and until the FFXIII release.

That's it. Now, news: Famitsu has revealed its weekly sales estimates for the following week after the launch, Sep 7-13. They're usually very close with the 'definitive' source, Media Create, with only a few thousand units difference at most. Here they are:

DSi – 66,416
    PS3 – 57,056
    PSP – 19,572
    Wii – 14,556
    DS Lite – 9,206
    Xbox 360 – 4,927
    PS2 – 3,100

As you can see, the drop is very similar to what I predicted, and also similar to the drop the Wii experienced after the first week's sales of the black color launch. On the other hand though, the Wii is also selling less than normal so it's clearly affected, but not quite as low as the PS3 did before the price cut's announcement. Things will even out further, it seems inevitable now, especially if the Wii price cut is real/universal. Such stunts are short term boosts, noone made a big fuss about it when the Wii's black color launch totally destroyed the competition in a similar manner, yet now I see articles everywhere claiming, yet again, the competition's doom in the face of the PS3 Slim's boosted sales. Meh.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed the Microsoft-centric nature of the original post. Um, what? Microsoft sales are always shit in Japan, yet they compete very well on a worldwide level, which if anything shows how much worse the PS3 is doing in other territories overall... End.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You ignorant slut.

Everybody knows that anyone on a videogame message board that first of all takes the time to dig up said sales numbers, then post it on a forum, then to gloat about how much better their system is because of said sales and then spelling doom/misfprtune for everybody else is a piece of shit fanboy.

Thank you, thank you very much for showing me that supporting the PS3 earlier was supposedly a mistake.
    Thank you for implying that my 360 and Wii are now on their way to be extinct
    And finally, thank you for showing the world that any post you make in the future is moot, due yo the sheer stupidity of this post

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

Everyone calm down! 

Guys... this is giantbomb... do us internet nerds really care about what the majority think? I bet there are loads of people here who think the dreamcast is awesome, and look that failed catastrophically.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

What's going to be most interesting is where exactly it levels out. I mean, you can expect these sort of figures for the first couple of weeks. But it needs to settle higher than the numbers Sony were posting pre-pricedrop (around 10k a week) otherwise it will all have been pointless. I expect we'll see the PS3 selling around 15-20k on a weekly basis from here on out. At least, I should imagine that will be the bottom of Sony's estimates.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheHBK
    @crunchUK:
    Yes the dreamcast is awesome.  It is a perfect example of how the state of mind, not just sales, of the masses can affect the outcome, not just what is quality.  The dreamcast was easily the best console out that generation.  It was only killed by the PS2 hype which was disappointing following its release.  Though the PS2 has sold 100 million, you think anyone remembers it as much as the dreamcast?  The dreamcast had everything and provided the first taste of console online gaming, which for many of us was the first time we played online.
    People cant complain about the price?  It should never have been that high to begin with.  By now, normally, a console would be down to 199, and the 360 is the only one there, well technically.  But a Arcade 360 is still better than a Wii.  We need to wait and see if this is true when the holiday shopping comes around, especially since these PS3s are for people with the money and were waiting, so it is kind of making up for the lag in the months leading up to it.  Will 299 be enough of a low price for people to buy it as a gift?  Or will they go with cheaper consoles which the Wii might be at later on and the 360, I think still might have another price drop in it.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ
    @TeflonBilly said:
    " You ignorant slut.  "
    That's a great line. JANE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.