Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

So I want to buy a PS3, but I hate the controller

• 64 results
    NightSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NightSkies

I've decided to pick up a PS3 this summer, and was wondering if anyone knew of a good controller replacement that mimicked the sticks on the xbox 360.  I've always felt that the playstation controllers were simply designed for people with much smaller hands than mine, as I get pain in the hands within twenty minutes of using one.  Any suggestions for quality third party controllers?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'm also interested in this because, compared to the 360 controller, the PS3 one is bad. 

In addition to the analog stick placements, I'd also want the controller to have the same triggers and, possibly, weight as the 360 controller. Really, I just want a 360 controller that works on the PS3.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By NickL

This is literally the only reason I don't own a PS3 yet, the controller sucks and I have never used a quality third party one.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @NightSkies said:
    I've decided to pick up a PS3 this summer, and was wondering if anyone knew of a good controller replacement that mimicked the sticks on the xbox 360.  I've always felt that the playstation controllers were simply designed for people with much smaller hands than mine, as I get pain in the hands within twenty minutes of using one.  Any suggestions for quality third party controllers?
    You mean this? 

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @The_Laughing_Man said: 
    You mean this? 

No Caption Provided
    Just posting a picture doesn't say a whole lot.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said: 
    You mean this? 

No Caption Provided
    Just posting a picture doesn't say a whole lot.
    I was asking him if thats what he was looking for. If he said yes I would link it. If he said no I found a few others. 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @The_Laughing_Man: Alright. 

Still, the Pro Elite Wireless seems good for the analog sticks but it still doesn't solve the problem of the shitty L2 and R2 buttons.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

You could get a controller converter.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJOR64 said:

Those actually exist this gen? I remember seeing one that plugged into a PS2 and you could use a Gamecube controller which was pretty cool, as I was one of the few who loved the Gamecube controller.
    NightSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NightSkies
    @JJOR64 said:

They make converters?   

@The_Laughing_Man.   

That is exactly what I am looking for!  Does anyone have experience with it? 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Bucketdeth: Apparently they do, from a quick search I just did. Seems like the most prominent one costs 35$, though, and I don't own a wired 360 controller so it'd be quite expensive, in my case. 

@Redbullet685: Those look weird, but thanks. I'll consider them.
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By canucks23

I've never understood the Dualshock hate, i'm fine with it. Then again maybe it's just because i'm used to it because it's basically been the same thing since the ps1 dualshock.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64
    @NightSkies:  Tons of people use them in the fighting game community.  Just do some Google research.
    NightSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NightSkies
    @canucks23 said:
    I've never understood the Dualshock hate, i'm fine with it. Then again maybe it's just because i'm used to it because it's basically been the same thing since the ps1 dualshock.
    I still don't understand why console makers have not made multiple controller sizes/models to offer users more options.  I had to buy this batwing locking controller back in the ps1 era in order to be able to play comfortably.  I miss that thing.  :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @Bucketdeth: Apparently they do, from a quick search I just did. Seems like the most prominent one costs 35$, though, and I don't own a wired 360 controller so it'd be quite expensive, in my case. 

@Redbullet685: Those look weird, but thanks. I'll consider them.
    Hmmm, well that's pretty neat.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @canucks23 said:
    Exactly. I mean, I guess if you've been playing a ton of shooters since ye olde Xbox days then try to move over to the PS3 then i guess I could understand, but other than that, the controller is damn near perfect. But different folks, different strokes after all.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

you can find the ones that are USB powered one. my friend has one that glows blue and looks kind of like a xbox 360 from best buy.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Example1013
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    @canucks23 said:
    Exactly. I mean, I guess if you've been playing a ton of shooters since ye olde Xbox days then try to move over to the PS3 then i guess I could understand, but other than that, the controller is damn near perfect. But different folks, different strokes after all.
    I've used PS controllers most of my life, but unfortunately I have a condition that hinders my enjoyment nowadays. It's called being really fucking tall. There's no cure, either, so I've been living with it, although I'd love to someday get a nice controller that fits my hands.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By zeforgotten

I believe there was some sort of thing you could buy (USB thingy) where you just plugged that into a PS3 and a 360 controller into the USB thingy and voila, it worked on a PS3.  
    Can't remember the name of it though since I never use that myself.  

Can't really remember any controllers that I've downright hated.  
    Poor plastic things, being hated with a passion by people. 

Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Strubes
    @NightSkies: Yeah, I have that controller. Though, for me the PS3 controller in general is better than the 360 controller. But if that's what you want, the controller works really well. Just the L2 and R2 are not triggers. They're buttons. Pretty easy to get used to too.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nekroskop

The 360 controller is definitely more comfortable to hold, but the D-pad is outright horrible.  I say just stick with it, you'll get used to it after a while. 
     Those trigger-attachments  should help some though.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap

All of you guys are smoking crack, the PS3 controller is the best controller ever made. 

/thread.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy

I used to hate the PS controllers. But after owning a PS3 and playing on it, it grows on you. It's not as good as the official 360 conrtoller but it is a good controller, even if it is a bit small.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

There are some expensive Xbox 360-shaped PS3 controllers out there. 

What I did was get the $3 trigger additions for it, and it's close enough for me. It's still not ideal for shooters, but I make do.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    There are some expensive Xbox 360-shaped PS3 controllers out there.  What I did was get the $3 trigger additions for it, and it's close enough for me. It's still not ideal for shooters, but I make do.
    They're still better than the actual controller's triggers, right?
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mutha3

I'm in the "Dualshock is pretty goddamn awesome"-camp. How'd ya people lived through last generation without a PS2?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By RobotHamster

I actually like the DS3,  I guess after having it for so long it just grew on me and I feel perfectly comfortable with it.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @FluxWaveZ said: 
    @Rolyatkcinmai said: 
    There are some expensive Xbox 360-shaped PS3 controllers out there.  What I did was get the $3 trigger additions for it, and it's close enough for me. It's still not ideal for shooters, but I make do.
    They're still better than the actual controller's triggers, right?
    Yeah they're decent enough. 

@mutha3
    said:
    I'm in the "Dualshock is pretty goddamn awesome"-camp. How'd ya people lived through last generation without a PS2?
    Just fine. But much like graphics and gameplay moved on from PS2 to PS3, the controller should have to. Dualshock was fine six years ago, but in 2011, the Xbox 360 controller is waaaay better. 

I had no problem with memory cards in 1998, but I sure as hell wouldn't be using one now.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Getz

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to hate the ps3 controller. I've never known anyone to dislike it until now.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mutha3
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

Just fine. But much like graphics and gameplay moved on from PS2 to PS3, the controller should have to. Dualshock was fine six years ago, but in 2011, the Xbox 360 controller is waaaay better.  I had no problem with memory cards in 1998, but I sure as hell wouldn't be using one now.

I think its fine today as well. Functionally, at least, the 360 doesn't have anything over it. They're both wireless and The PS3 controller has some pretty clear advantages(the Dpad, the charging, its size etc.). 360 has them as well....but, yeah.

Not quite the same as a graphic and gameplay leap.

They both lose out to the Gamecube controller, anyway('cept for shooters. The GCN controller sucks with those).
    Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Master_Funk

Controller is fine for most things. Though I dont really play many twitch FPS so dont know that compares, and I certainly dont think it should stop you from getting a PS3.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AlexW00d

I still don't understand why people use those stupid triggers. It's not like in an FPS, where you are saying you like them, if makes a difference. You can't alter the speed of shooting through by depressing them less, nor can you bring your gun up to eye level slower by depressing less.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sooty

It really is a shame, I like my PS3 but OMG what were they thinking with them 'triggers'?

They're fucking atrocious and I have to curse to get that point across. Truly horrible design. The clip-on triggers to 'improve' them don't really help either.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @mutha3: The PS3 controller has a better d-pad, but that's about it. 

Xbox's analog stick placement is more natural and the shape of it fits the hand better (faced forward rather than facing inwards). 
    The rechargeable battery for the X360 is also much better because when it eventually dies (after like two years) you just need a new $5 battery pack, rather than a whole new controller. 
    The analog sticks are indented and have better resistance. While a few games like Skate feel better on PS3, the rest feel better on 360. 
    The triggers are a huge win for Xbox. It's the primary reason why people hate the DS3. Even with the addons, it just doesn't cut it. 

I play plenty of PS3 games just fine with the Dualshock 3, but it's certainly not even close to the Xbox controller. Sony should have iterated upon what they had instead of keeping it the same.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

The Dualshock 2 was my favourite controller ever, the current one is only hampered by it not being made the standard from the start as well as the trigger buttons.  

The default controller I didn't like at all, more of an issue with the weight itself, its just too lightweight in my opinion. Either way I can't see it being such a big problem that it should hamper your enjoyment of an entire console.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShaneDev

Some of those third party ones look really good. I never really had much of a problem with the DS3 aside from a few cases were I feel like I have to uncomfortably curl my hand up to hit a button but then again the triggers aren't that great either and the stick is to close to the square button. I wonder if they will ever change the stick layout on PS controllers for the PS4 or 5. 

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pessh

You get used it, and the dpad is so much better on the DS3.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hamz

I don't really have a problem with the controller except for the L2/R2 buttons are easy to slip your finger off of if your hands get sweaty due to that downward curve they have. Otherwise I get cramp in my hand just as much when using it as I do any other controller.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By McShank

I have trouble understanding why people hate duelshock controllers.... They have been around before xbox was ever thought up and have not changed since their original release because they are practically perfect. I use mine for hours at times and have no problem and i don't have small hands in the least. @NightSkies said:

@canucks23 said:
    I still don't understand why console makers have not made multiple controller sizes/models to offer users more options.  I had to buy this batwing locking controller back in the ps1 era in order to be able to play comfortably.  I miss that thing.  :(
    Costs alot of money to make a different size and mass produce, and even if companies did this, there would still be a ton of people bitching.
    willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By willylo

http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_cross_battle_adapter.htm

I hear these ones work really well. But it confines you to being wired :S.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @McShank: People have a problem with the PS3 controller when comparing it to the 360 controller, which is better in almost every way except for the D-Pad.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vodun

I can agree that the DualShock is a bit small, but otherwise I feel it is a much better controller than the 360 one which just oozes bad design to me.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@McShank: People have a problem with the PS3 controller when comparing it to the 360 controller, which is better in almost every way except for the D-Pad.

Yup. You can include me in that crowd of people who saw the Playstation controller as flawless until the day the 360 controller came out. 

@Hamz said:

I don't really have a problem with the controller except for the L2/R2 buttons are easy to slip your finger off of if your hands get sweaty due to that downward curve they have.

The triggers are my main problem too. The downward curve, smoothness and the squishiness of the triggers considerably reduce the time it takes for finger fatique to set in. 

Still, no controller will ever be enough to keep me away from the great exclusives.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DAFTPUNK

to be honest i fucking hate the xbox controller when I play video games, it just feels like a big clunk of shit, but I still like the Xbox not the controller:)
    troll certified

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By John1912

PS3 controller is good except for the fucking awful trigger buttons.  Seriously they are plain shit.  I assume they let the art department pick them out...Morons....

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Giacomito

I used to hate the 360 controller. 
    until I got a 360 and had no ps3 around for a couple of months and was forced to only play 360. 
    Now I quite like it, it's probably going to feel weird going back to my DS3 back home in a few days after getting used to the 360 controller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.