Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

TEG'S InFamous Demo Impressions!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

ELECTRIFYING, EXCITING, ELEGANT AND THAT'S JUST THE DEMO!

InFamous is electrifying in more ways then one, this latest game from Sly Cooper developers Sucker Punch. Looks to provide Playstation 3 owners with an exclusive to be proud of and if the demo is anything to go by, all PS3 owners are in for one hell of a treat. The demo hit the Playstation Network this evening and I was eager to get a taste of the action before the game gets an official release next week. Interestingly, a demo as been available for a good while now through codes though I was not able to obtain one. So like many other eager PS3 owners, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

THE DEFINITION OF ELECTRIFYING!

The InFamous demo is actually rather big compared to most demos of today, it provides an almost perfect chance for potential buyers to get a taste of it's overall gameplay and get use to the rather odd feel of Cole's building jumping skills. It might also play a large part in helping purchasers feel less unconfortable when they jump into the full retail game next week, for InFamous can feel a little odd at first experience. While it's control setup can seem rather simple, in the heat of the action it can take sometime to feel at home with and it took me a reasonable length into the demo to adjust my play style to. Once you've become use to it's slightly odd control setup and Cole's jumpy movements, you realize that InFamous is one of the most action packed experiences in videogames today. The overall pace of gameplay can seem a little out of control at times, but that's the point and once you feel confortable with the controls. You soon realize that InFamous is full of possibilities when the action heats up.

At first point, InFamous didn't particularly make a great impression. Though this is no surprise considering it's a demo afterall and it does throw you partly into the deep end with some tough enemies and missions to undertake. At one point in the demo, where I was protecting a shipment for survivors of the blast while fending off villians left, right and centre. I found myself struggling to handle Cole's unique powers and the enemies rushing towards me, it's clear that being able to master and understand Cole's abilities will be key to winning fights in Empire City. I became very fond of Cole's electronic shock styled grenades, which were performed using L1 and square. This powerful ability split from one electric grenade into multiple smaller ones, causing great amounts of damage. I was rather impressed with the movement and understanding of the A.I at this point, they reacted with speed and were tough buggers to take down.

The demo features a number of missions and separate side quests, all a blast to play.
    The demo features a number of missions and separate side quests, all a blast to play.
    This was especially concerning when one considers that Cole could be taken down rather easily in that section of the demo. Now it's very possible that I wasn't using is powers properly, but with such fast paced action going on all around you. Well it's easy to see how Cole could get harmed in the heat of a fight. It was also rather clear that developers Sucker Punch, had this issue in mind for once Cole is taken down. The game loads up very near where you were killed, so if you die in the middle of a mission the game will allow you to continue. While this might seem a little cheap and unchallenging for some gamers out there, I personally welcomed it as it's clear that InFamous's missions and enemies were designed to provide the gamer with one hell of a challenge. The few missions in the demo were a joy to play though and a lot of fun.

One other key feature of InFamous is of course the city itself. Empire City is a destroyed and decaying place, but surprisngly alive with quarantined citizens who can both love Cole and fear him depending on how you play. The demo actually gives you a chance to experience both sides of the coin and while Cole's powers are generally the same, there are clear differences between the two. Being good means that your more careful and precise with your electrical abilities while Cole's evil side allows for more grander almost epic powers that don't care what they hit, enemy or innocent civilian. It's also clear that these key moral decisions you make, will have an impact on the tale InFamous will tell.

I intended to keep this demo impressions article short but already it's become longer then I'd wished. There are a number of other key areas of the game I could yap on about for hours, but I think it best that everyone experiences this fine demo for themselves. It's a rather large download so patience might be required, but the demo does what good demos do best. Provides gamers with a clear chance to see what a specific title is all about and allows those potential purchasers to make a final decision on if to splash the cash or not. For me, well I currently have the game preordered (with the Uncharted 2: Among Thieves code included) and I can't see that changing. While there are still one or two concerns I have for InFamous, the demo was an absolute blast and a lot of fun. I highly recommend folks check this one out as soon as possible. 

InFamous Demo now available at your local PSN Store!

Thanks for Reading, 
    Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)

(Twitter: JosephBayliss)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

ELECTRIFYING, EXCITING, ELEGANT AND THAT'S JUST THE DEMO!

InFamous is electrifying in more ways then one, this latest game from Sly Cooper developers Sucker Punch. Looks to provide Playstation 3 owners with an exclusive to be proud of and if the demo is anything to go by, all PS3 owners are in for one hell of a treat. The demo hit the Playstation Network this evening and I was eager to get a taste of the action before the game gets an official release next week. Interestingly, a demo as been available for a good while now through codes though I was not able to obtain one. So like many other eager PS3 owners, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

THE DEFINITION OF ELECTRIFYING!

The InFamous demo is actually rather big compared to most demos of today, it provides an almost perfect chance for potential buyers to get a taste of it's overall gameplay and get use to the rather odd feel of Cole's building jumping skills. It might also play a large part in helping purchasers feel less unconfortable when they jump into the full retail game next week, for InFamous can feel a little odd at first experience. While it's control setup can seem rather simple, in the heat of the action it can take sometime to feel at home with and it took me a reasonable length into the demo to adjust my play style to. Once you've become use to it's slightly odd control setup and Cole's jumpy movements, you realize that InFamous is one of the most action packed experiences in videogames today. The overall pace of gameplay can seem a little out of control at times, but that's the point and once you feel confortable with the controls. You soon realize that InFamous is full of possibilities when the action heats up.

At first point, InFamous didn't particularly make a great impression. Though this is no surprise considering it's a demo afterall and it does throw you partly into the deep end with some tough enemies and missions to undertake. At one point in the demo, where I was protecting a shipment for survivors of the blast while fending off villians left, right and centre. I found myself struggling to handle Cole's unique powers and the enemies rushing towards me, it's clear that being able to master and understand Cole's abilities will be key to winning fights in Empire City. I became very fond of Cole's electronic shock styled grenades, which were performed using L1 and square. This powerful ability split from one electric grenade into multiple smaller ones, causing great amounts of damage. I was rather impressed with the movement and understanding of the A.I at this point, they reacted with speed and were tough buggers to take down.

This was especially concerning when one considers that Cole could be taken down rather easily in that section of the demo. Now it's very possible that I wasn't using is powers properly, but with such fast paced action going on all around you. Well it's easy to see how Cole could get harmed in the heat of a fight. It was also rather clear that developers Sucker Punch, had this issue in mind for once Cole is taken down. The game loads up very near where you were killed, so if you die in the middle of a mission the game will allow you to continue. While this might seem a little cheap and unchallenging for some gamers out there, I personally welcomed it as it's clear that InFamous's missions and enemies were designed to provide the gamer with one hell of a challenge. The few missions in the demo were a joy to play though and a lot of fun.

One other key feature of InFamous is of course the city itself. Empire City is a destroyed and decaying place, but surprisngly alive with quarantined citizens who can both love Cole and fear him depending on how you play. The demo actually gives you a chance to experience both sides of the coin and while Cole's powers are generally the same, there are clear differences between the two. Being good means that your more careful and precise with your electrical abilities while Cole's evil side allows for more grander almost epic powers that don't care what they hit, enemy or innocent civilian. It's also clear that these key moral decisions you make, will have an impact on the tale InFamous will tell.

I intended to keep this demo impressions article short but already it's become longer then I'd wished. There are a number of other key areas of the game I could yap on about for hours, but I think it best that everyone experiences this fine demo for themselves. It's a rather large download so patience might be required, but the demo does what good demos do best. Provides gamers with a clear chance to see what a specific title is all about and allows those potential purchasers to make a final decision on if to splash the cash or not. For me, well I currently have the game preordered (with the Uncharted 2: Among Thieves code included) and I can't see that changing. While there are still one or two concerns I have for InFamous, the demo was an absolute blast and a lot of fun. I highly recommend folks check this one out as soon as possible. 

InFamous Demo now available at your local PSN Store!

Thanks for Reading, 
    Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)

(Twitter: JosephBayliss)

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

awesome! downloading it now. at about 58%.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Yet another reason to have a PS3. Only if... I had one.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kilzombie

I already got the full game, its SO AWESOME! I love it =D

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By darkspirit138

Yeah, it is a frickin awesome demo.

@Kilzombie: you have the game right? What would you suggest I be; good or evil?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
    darkspirit138 said:
    Yeah, it is a frickin awesome demo.@Kilzombie: you have the game right? What would you suggest I be; good or ... [more]
    Both. There are trophies tied into playing both anyway.
    Balaamsafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Balaamsafe

The game feels like I wanted Assasins Creed to, i just pre-ordered it after plaing the demo.  Really nice blog you've got going here by the way.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kilzombie
    @darkspirit138:  Like Get2sammyb said, I'd say play both, I played thru as Good, and now I'm playing thru as evil.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.